SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

For those of you wanting a mobile diagnostic tool. i picked up my Surface Pro, as a new, open-box, display unit for about 330$USD off ebay...
It was brand new and after a few days... i upgraded from W8 to W8.1 and then W10 in about three hours.
For those of you unwilling to deal with W10... might i recommend getting a Samsung Slate 7, which has similar specifications but runs natively on W7Pro... also ~300$USD.
The native resolution on the Surface Pro is 1920x1080 versus the Slate7's 1366 x 768... which was the main selling point for me...
The Surface Pro with W10 is able to run VIDA; for the money, i felt like it was worth the risk of trying it and getting the better hardware...

Note to Self: create a folder, called and placed in "C:\VIDA\patch" . Then extract and copy patch contents, rewrite batch file to:

@echo off
set lic='C:\VIDA\patch\license'
set sqlf=C:\VIDA\patch\q.sql
set fdb=C:\VIDA\patch\filldb.sql

echo declare @lic nvarchar(50) set @lic=%lic% > %sqlf%
type %fdb% >> %sqlf%

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\OSQL.EXE" -S localhost\Vida -U sa -P GunnarS3g3 -i %sqlf% > nul
del %sqlf%

ren C:\VIDA\WslLogin.exe WslLogin.exe.bak 2> nul
ren C:\VIDA\ClientLogger.exe ClientLogger.exe.bak 2> nul

===============================================

and i was so excited...

im seeing now this might be a USB driver issue...

[heavy sigh]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a funny thing happened...

i decided to try to put 2014D on my workstation and check the DiCE Unit...

not only did it recognize the DiCE unit right away, it installed nearly without a hitch...

[lament]

·
Registered
379 Posts
Wait did you just install a fresh 2014D install and it worked right away with the patch?

I have tried to get VIDA to install correctly on my laptop that I just installed Win10 and it simply hangs on the install...

I used the admin level to force installation under compatibility mode win7pro and was able to start the install, but it simply hang there forever until i force closed alba.exe process...

Can you help a bit with the missing part?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
the spiral continues...

Wait did you just install a fresh 2014D install and it worked right away with the patch?

I have tried to get VIDA to install correctly on my laptop that I just installed Win10 and it simply hangs on the install...

I used the admin level to force installation under compatibility mode win7pro and was able to start the install, but it simply hang there forever until i force closed alba.exe process...

Can you help a bit with the missing part?
to remove the confusion; the second attempt is a fresh 2014D install on a W7Pro SP1 x64 desktop machine.

the 2014D install on the W10 Surface Pro is still faulty... though its 99% from being done! [sigh]

and that is what is frustrating about all this. even tho ive documented everything i was doing, every little change, bit by bit, as i went along...

on a whim, i turned around and got it up and running in about an hr on the desktop. just terribly maddening...

i am still trying to diagnose 2014D+IE11 in W10 on the Surface Pro.

its inability to connect to the communication tool once logged into VIDA is what is stopping me dead in my tracks.

given that i have tried my best to duplicate every setting and install on the fresh 2014D install on my W7Pro desktop... [that went without a hitch]

equally and more pertinent; ive never had the 2014D hang during install on my W10 Surface or W7Pro desktop:

- ensure W10 is up to date with everything from All Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update

- check your install log from C:\VIDA\System\Log\vida.install.2015-08-23.##.##.##.log [a text file]
it should tell the story of what is stopping/hanging up "alba.exe"

- check the driver and software versions of your install against my installed versions [up top]

IF STARTING A FRESH 2014D INSTALL:[W10 and W7]

- obtain and install Java 8 Update 60 [should be the latest]

- obtain a version of IE11 [theres one in the W10 program feature list] try to match the one i posted. or whatever is the latest.

- out of paranoia, i obtained and installed MSXML6.1

- obtain the latest Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 SP2 - Express Edition [for me, SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe ~1GB] and install it FIRST.

- during that install, i configured a new installation. therein you can create an 'instance' called 'VIDA'.
follow through to set 'Mixed Mode' authentication and set the password as 'GunnarS3g3'.
set every SQL Server, Agent and Browser item to 'local SYSTEM' as much as possible during this time.
you can set it all in "Services" afterwards to ensure proper settings

- install all the tertiary components from the main install folder under 'VIDA Customize'
afterwards you should see three Setek AB DiCE USB components, Isoview, and Adobe Reader XI

- install VIDA 2014D from here: C:\VIDA\VIDA 2014D\Install\DVD\Vida_dvdheader\Vida and not from the 'Main' folder
set the install with administrator rights and compatibility mode for W7.

more to come...

edit: uninstalled skype

in "services":

turn off and disable:

IIS
World Wide Web Publishing service
IIS Admin Service
SQL Server Reporting services
Web Deployment Agent Service

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Which .NET Framework version do you have? Is it the same version for your W7 installation and your W10 installation?
presumably they are both .NET 3.5

but as you can see up top, in W10, its listed as .NET 3.5 [including 3.0 and 2.0]

and the listing in W7Pro states directly .NET 3.5.1

the listing for both W7 and W10 show the same set of files; granted some differ in filesize.

in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework [for both installs]

v1.0.3705
v1.1.4322
v2.0.50727
v3.0
v3.5
v4.30319

followed by 16 .dll files starting with NETFXSBS10.exe and a netfxsbs12.hkf file in that folder.

Under Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1... i have Windows Comm Foundation Non-http activation, checked...

if you attempt to check that in W10, it will also automatically activate .NET 4.6, ASP.NET 4.6...

·
Registered
591 Posts
Under Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1... i have Windows Comm Foundation Non-http activation, checked...

if you attempt to check that in W10, it will also automatically activate .NET 4.6, ASP.NET 4.6...
That might be the issue... IE doesn't seem to connect to show the DICE interface with .NET Framework over 3.5.2 in x64. Don't know why...though I don't have personal experience with how W8+ handles it...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
That might be the issue... IE doesn't seem to connect to show the DICE interface with .NET Framework over 3.5.2 in x64. Don't know why...though I don't have personal experience with how W8+ handles it...
im coming to this conclusion also. by playing around, i was actually able to get VIDA 2014D to run under SQL 2014.
it seems there are some core legacy algorithms or what-have-you, that are not carried on into W10.
the interesting bit is that there is a screenshot image of a user showing the DiCE seller clearly demonstrating
vida working on a W10 install. the date of the image leads me to believe it was a W10 technical preview...
which you would think, the matured release would have simliar functionality... here

the difficulty im finding with W10 is that it is unwilling to run legacy installations of things, despite having compatibility settings enabled.

im also noticing that there were some permissions im used to being able to control via administrator settings that are not in this W10.

tonight i ended up just setting up my desktop in the garage and diagnosing it all down there...

the good news there being that it all worked flawlessly and all the calibrations and activations work.

the bad news being that the CCM calibration did not fix the hot blended ventilation on MAX a/c cold setting.
coincidentally but not surprisingly, only on the driver side...

sigh.

so it looks like im likely going to have to be digging out stepper motors in the coming months...
in my younger days, i didnt mind contorting my way through there to get them all...

today i dont know if my back can handle it...

i digress.

now that i know the CIL codes were based on a vacuum leak and not coil misfires...
i might go ahead and restart the installation process on the W10 Surface Pro

·
Registered
591 Posts
It's worth clarifying for everyone that VIDA running on Windows 10 doesn't seem to be the problem. Getting VIDA on W10 to connect to the DICE hardware is the problem.

·
Registered
243 Posts
That's what I've gathered. Has anyone cleared that hurdle without doing a Virtual Machine etc? Read a few people that tried but didn't see a conclusive 'I got it and this is how its done'.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
That's what I've gathered. Has anyone cleared that hurdle without doing a Virtual Machine etc? Read a few people that tried but didn't see a conclusive 'I got it and this is how its done'.
I could have saved you all this entire thread. DICE won't work in Win10 or Win 8.1. I had VIDA/DICE working fine in Win8.1 until an update to Windows broke DICE connectivity. One would assume this carried over to 10. You can get VIDA to work in Win8 (but why would you). You could even get it to work temporarily in Win 8.1 until whatever update broke it before installs.

I suppose an industrious person could do an update and test over and over again until they find the update that breaks it, but that update is going to be baked into 10 so you aren't going to be able to bypass it.

The real future goal is going to be figuring out a way to get an offline install of VIDA 2015 to work which may be nigh impossible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can confirm that 2014D Vida works on windows 10.
I see that S0MA was trying DiCE on x64 system. I have installed VIDA on x86 maybe there is problems with 64bit drivers for DiCE on WIN10. But can confirm that on x86 system it works via BT and USB.

·
Registered
6 Posts
got my Lenovo T410 windows10pro64bit working with ebay 84eur Vida Dice 2014D :thumbup:
(green pcb and color Led-s, no text on pcb )(not fresh install, about year old upgrade from win7pro64bit )

instructions found here:
http://obd2francais.blogspot.com.ee/2016/09/how-to-install-volvo-vida-2014d-on.html

java found here, because offical page wanted Log In account
https://mirrors.dwhd.org/JDK/7/7u80/jdk/

then i had Communication Tool error in Dice, showing X in device field, and help was here:
regedit - "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"→ "SOFTWARE" → "Wow6432Node" → "Microsoft" → ".NETFramework"
".NETFramework" folder, and choose "New"→ "DWORD (32-bit) Value"
Rename the new value to "EnableIEHosting", right click"EnableIEHosting" and choose "Modify". Input value date: 00000001, then click "OK".
http://blog.cardiag.co.uk/how-to-fix-volvo-vida-dice-2014d-no-communication-tool/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.