SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some passenger side wind noise coming from the top edge of the window. I also have noticed that when the door is closed fast the glass sometimes catches and pinches the gasket that is mounted on the car to seal the window. Even after I put the window down some and back up to make the seal properly there is still noise.
What can I do? I think the window is a bit misadjusted, is there a way to adjust the alignment of the window or the door a little to fix this? Any other solution? Please let me know, its driving me crazy.

Jerome

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Re: Window Wind Noise, Help. (C Jerome)

I too notice some odd wind noise coming from my passenger side window even when going as slow as 40kph. It comes and goes though.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Re: Window Wind Noise, Help. (C70drvr)

Try to open the door and move then the window completly up... then close the door again...

I have it sometimes to, it depends on the temperature.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Re: Window Wind Noise, Help. (C Jerome)

I have the same problem, but from the drivers side... I've heard of a lot of people taking it to the dealer and having them realign the doors... but still sometimes that doesnt help either...

The windows, sunroof are junk in this car

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BenES
I will try the opening the door and windows up thing, hopefully it will make a difference.
If anyone else has adjusted the windows themself please share your experience, or if you have any other ideas.
Jerome

·
Registered
21 Posts
i get irritating wind noise from the passenger side window. the cheapest way (which improves it a little) is to use some insulation tape (preferably black so it blends in with the rubber seals) on the rubber seals which meets the top of the window glass. my noise seems to be coming from nearer the side mirrors so thats where i have some tape.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
I had a good 30 minute conversation with a Volvo mechanic today talking about his Yellow 850 T-5R Wagon and when I told him I have a C70 coupe, he asked if there was a lot of wind noise. I said yes, he then said don't try to adjust the doors. OK.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will try the insulaton tape as a stop gap. Where do you buy this? Is it a home depot, staples, or auto supply store thing?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried some scotch two sided foam tape, and it made things worse. I dont know where to buy some of that really fine one sided stick foam that is used on the cars already. I looked at one car supply store and no go, i will check another tomorrow.

I also took the interior door panel off to adjust the alignment. After I had it off I drove over and talked with my mechanic about it, he has not adusted a c70 window before and he said its different than the 850/S70 doors. So we decided to adjust the rear stop and the front adjustment that moves the front window track toward and away from the car. I made some adjustements drove, adjusted and drove and about 5 hours after I started the noise is about the same, I tried lots of combinations of adjustments and no silence. I am frustrated and will be putting the door panel back on in the morning.

As a side note my mechanic saw the speakers in the car and was telling me how good they are and that the compnay only used to sell components and now they make speakers, apparently he builds high quality speakers in his spare time as a hobby.
Also I think i am going to buy a Garmin Street Pilot i5 tomorrow.

C. Jerome

·
Registered
315 Posts
Re: (C Jerome)

Alot of people use a non petroleum based jelly on the actual rubber seals as this forms a bond with the glas when shut and gets rid of the wind noise.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting idea. Do people use this on the framless C70 windows?
Can you give me an example of an product or brand name. I have tinted windows, I wonder if this is tint safe?

Also I am still looking for that very fine one side adhesive foam, has any one purchased it before?
Jerome

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
I had the opportunity to park my car next to a 2002 M3 in my buddy's workshop today and compaire the window seals on both. The C70's is this tiny little plastic strip and almost felt like material on the top. On the M3, it was a good 1 1/2" thick soft rubber strip that ran around the entire widow and down around the whole door and looked as tight anything can be. I'm wondering if there's a way to take the stripping from a 3 series, and heat form it to our cars. I like the look of that thick rubber strip rather than our thin plastic piece of insulation.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Re: (C70drvr)

Ive never found a brand name for the stuff as never done it myself but must be a few available.

Adding thicker strips is a good idea however getting the glass to shut could be a problem as its already extremely tight, no problem opening and shutting doors but trying to close the windows it could get caught on it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I want some of that M3 sealing. If you decide to persue this please keep us updated. My problem is still just as bad, I am going to play with it again this weekend and maybe pick up some pasty lubricant as recommended above.
I have not been able to locate that foam tape stuff, went to three auto parts places and no go. I also have been doing some light searching on line with no sucess but have not checked auto parts places on line just search engines. I will update if I find something

In the meantime keep the ideas coming...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Re: (C Jerome)

Wow, is the wind noise really that severe with these cars, is it as prominent on the coupes compared to convertibles? If noise is such an issue, what about water entry??

·
Registered
109 Posts
Re: (corrado)

no water... the seals suckup the water i think... just wind noise.. it sucks !!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I just bought a 98 c70 and i get annoying wind noises from the passanger side window around 80mph.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Re: (MJRM2384)

80mph+ it's sort of expected for a car with frameless windows. I must say, even though my car is very noisy at speeds higher than 80mph, I don't mind at all, and don't even seem to notice. Since the only times I'm ever pushing 100+mph it's just for fun, not casual commuting, the wind noise is just another thing that lets you know how fast you're really going.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hey guys!

I'm very happy to have found about this framless window topic. I have the same problem on my passenger side window. It usually starts on the highway when I hit the 110-120 kph (that's about 65-70 mph for our non-metric US friends). I just cannot understand how a luxury car like a C70 can actually have so poor wind isolation. I am still on my 2 years warranty, I might ask the guys at Volvo's to change the whole rubber sealing around the doors.

BUt the problem will bounce back in a few months/years. The non-petroleum jelly seems like an nice idea: it might just prevent the rubber from getting dry and thus providing a better isolation.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts