SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I just purchased a 2021 XC40. I saw some discussion on the factory window tint but not a definite answer from the manufacturer. I want to tint the front windows and put a strip on the windshield and want it to match the back. Did anyone get an answer from Volvo on the factory window tint %? I usually put 20% on all my vehicles but I need it to match.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Hello I just purchased a 2021 XC40. I saw some discussion on the factory window tint but not a definite answer from the manufacturer. I want to tint the front windows and put a strip on the windshield and want it to match the back. Did anyone get an answer from Volvo on the factory window tint %? I usually put 20% on all my vehicles but I need it to match.
Thanks.
Are you tinting them yourself? If you go to a shop to have it done they typically use a tint meter and can calculate the value before hand to have it match. If doing it yourself, purchasing a tint meter would be my suggestion.

·
Registered
2020 XC90 T6 Momentum
13 Posts
Now, not an XC40, but my 2020 XC90 research said it has 22-23% on the rears and my shop confirmed this...so I would tend to think Volvo would stick with the same tint percentage across the brand...but then again maybe not. I went with 30% on the fonts and it's ever so slightly lighter and looks like a very good match. Utah requires the fronts to be lighter than the rears and law is 43%, but generally if it's lighter, then you're good to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I do love the way the 20% looks all the way around the vehicle. That's what I'm going with. Fingers crossed it matches. I'm not worried about the law, I've had 20% on all my cars and have been fine. I'll post a picture after it's done. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
The guy I spoke with on mine said to go with the 35 on the front to match the rear. Personally I went with the Xpel 70 to get the benifit of the heat reflecting and UV protection because I like having more visibility. I’m also looking now at going ahead with the windshield also at 70 or even 80. The 70 it just barely darker than not having the tint at all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have 20% carbon on the front two windows - and it matches the back windows on my 21 xc40 perfectly.

That said, I had 35% carbon on the fronts of my old truck - and it definitely allowed more light to pass through.

I chose carbon because it blocks the most heat (and harmful rays) which helps keep the interior looking better (less sun damage) as well as cooler.

If I had to do it again on the xc40 - I would get 35%. The 20% is pretty dark at night. It's not annoyingly dark, but there's definitely a pretty big difference between this and the 35% that I used to have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts