SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Window Tint

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  MenardVolvo 
#1 ·
Anyone in the NoVa area gotten their windows tinted? I got my 92 wagon, and I am piece by piece trying to make her look as good as she runs. I am going today to get estimates on body work (I need to at least get that door I replaced to match my car) but might possibly do whole car repaint, but I also want to tint the rear windows and eventually new wheels will be added into the mix, but thats down the road. Anywho, what can I expect on price of window tinting, and I'm talking quality tinting, not that self apply adhesive stuff.

#5 ·
Re: Window Tint (gdill2)

I was only gonna go 40-50%, not limo tint or that wierd mirror stuff, but yes, I have looked it up. I know there is a allowance for darker tint in the back because its a wagon.

#6 ·
Re: Window Tint (swimmer240)

Look for a shop that does nothing but auto tint - not glass work, etc.

Visit on a slow early afternoon Tue-Thu and chat it up with the installers as they look over your wagon.

Ask to see a job just finished.

Get an estimate.

Repeat with at least two more shops.

Decide.

Once you pick a shop make an appointment, deliver the car on time, do not be in a rush and do not wait in the shop while the job is being done.

George Dill

#8 ·

Quote, originally posted by swimmer240 »
Anyone in the NoVa area gotten their windows tinted? I got my 92 wagon, ... what can I expect on price of window tinting, and I'm talking quality tinting, not that self apply adhesive stuff.

I have never tinted a wagon, & you obviously have more glass than my sedan(s), but...

In CA, you can go as dark as you want for all windows, behind the driver, and depending on whom you ask, you can get away with a 4" visor strip on the front windshield.

1) My 244 rear window, rear 2 doors, that small side rear window both sides, and a 4" strip on the windshield. All Limo with 3M product - $120 July 2008.

2) My S70's have pretty much the same glass configuration as the 244 & though done some years ago, both were $100 (limo 3M).

3) I just tinted (3M limo) my new Mazdaspeed 3 - 2 rear doors, the small rear (hatch) side windows & the 'tailgate' glass, with a 4" windshield strip - $160 with a lifetime warranty.

I only use 2 local shops, depending on who has an opening when I am available, NEVER any problems, bubbling, etc... Both clearly remind you that you can't open the windows for 2 days to allow complete drying. I wait 3-4 days, just to be safe.

I am in So. Cal, FWIW.

Good luck w/ all of your projects! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#9 ·
Re: Window Tint (Taleof2Bricks2)

To stay legal in VA according to the books you can go 50% on the front and 35% on the rear but they only enforce the front from my experience as long as the front is lighter than the back you aren't going to get bothered.I would do the 35% on the front and the rearhatch and the front windows and 20% on the rear sides but thats not legal
.So if your concerned with that 50% on the hatch and fronts and 35% on the rear sides will be legal,tint seems to look better with a contrast between the rear and the front.The reason I recomend 50% on the hatch is visibility at night 35% isn't bad to me but some have issues.I currently have 20% on everything but the windshiled on my S60 and My F250 and have 35/20 on the 850 due to being ticketed for 20% all the way around before

#10 ·
Re: Window Tint (volvosince16)

I was thinking 35% on hatch and two rear panels, and then 50% on the rear passenger windows, nothing on the front two. And the prices, though they were in CA, don't seem to be as high as I thought they would be. Thanks for all the info and recommendations guys.

#11 ·

All side windows and the rear on my XC 70 was $285. here in Las Vegas... (A hotbed for window tinting).
One piece of advice... go with a place that cuts the film by computer, rather than using the method where they apply the tint to the outside of the vehicle and then apply it to the inside. The hand cut tint that I have seen always leaves an ugly untinted portion of about a quarter of an inch at the top of the glass, giving a kind of unfinished look for windows that are only partially down. At any rate... I would talk to the shop and tell them that you want the tint to go all the way up to the absolute top of the glass. If they balk on this, or try to give you some lame reason why it's not good to do it that way, leave until you find what you are paying for, and get it done your way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.