SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...let's see how long it takes for me to get a ticket.

SunTek Carbon 18% all around, no strip on windshield.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
sexy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks good!!
Thanks, I'm really happy with it. My only reservation is that in California having tint that dark (or any tint depending on what you read) on the front windows is illegal. It's a fix-it ticket, and I paid extra for "protection coverage" that will cover removal and re-installation if I get one. I just think the window tint law in Cali is just so silly, especially since I'm from Arizona. Since I leased the car in Cali then I had to register it here. OK, I get it, cops want to be safe and want to be able to see the front seat occupants when they approach a vehicle. But why not just make limo tint illegal? With the 18% I just got, you can see into the car with no problem. I generally don't have good luck with cops and with tickets. I've always been cited when stopped, never received a warning...ever. It's to the point where I only usually drive 5 mph over the speed limit because I know I'm not lucky. So...we'll see how long it takes before I'm busted.

JQ

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks, I'm really happy with it. My only reservation is that in California having tint that dark (or any tint depending on what you read) on the front windows is illegal. It's a fix-it ticket, and I paid extra for "protection coverage" that will cover removal and re-installation if I get one. I just think the window tint law in Cali is just so silly, especially since I'm from Arizona. Since I leased the car in Cali then I had to register it here. OK, I get it, cops want to be safe and want to be able to see the front seat occupants when they approach a vehicle. But why not just make limo tint illegal? With the 18% I just got, you can see into the car with no problem. I generally don't have good luck with cops and with tickets. I've always been cited when stopped, never received a warning...ever. It's to the point where I only usually drive 5 mph over the speed limit because I know I'm not lucky. So...we'll see how long it takes before I'm busted.

It is a shame that some states don't recognize the value of window tinting. Here in Florida, even the Police cars use window tinting. In warm climates....like Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, Florida, etc. the sun will eventually ruin the tops of the back seats and the "package shelf", and/or damage anything else it cooks in your car. The car with window tinting is safer in an accident as the glass will hold together when hit. It also makes it harder for someone to break the glass on purpose. Air conditioning works much better when the windows are tinted. And lastly, cars look better with the tint. There is one downside to tinting: At night, and especially at night in the rain, it becomes more difficult for you to see out. This is why you never want tinting on the windshield. I would not live without the tinting here in Florida, and have had every car I have owned tinted.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Post take over

I don't know what I did, but somehow I ended up taking over a post. I am sorry for this, and don't know what I did. AMF

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No worries, amf, I'm with you on this. Having lived in Arizona since 1998 I'm also used to window tint as a 'way of life'. Hell, in Arizona it's hard to find a vehicle that hasn't already been tinted by the dealer before it's offered for sale. I thought it was funny that the tint shop that did my car here in the high desert in SoCal was tinting new dealer stock for the local hyundai and mazda dealers, even though the tint is illegal. And I also agree, window tint makes every car look better.

JQ

·
Registered
31 Posts
Has anyone noticed a little gap on the rear passenger doors when having a tint job done? Had mine done today and there is a slight gap which really bugs me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
In the summer for southern climates its a must have, i have done the legal limit based on the state i lived on almost all of the cars i owned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Nice... That is really dark for me especially for night driving. I've had 35% and thought it was really dark for NJ. On our S and XC60, we have 50% all the way around minus windshield.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Looks good dude, my car is the carbon copy of yours...was thinking of tinting my windows too...police in my area carry thier little gizmo too see if tint is too dark.So ill have too be careful..

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Has anyone noticed a little gap on the rear passenger doors when having a tint job done? Had mine done today and there is a slight gap which really bugs me.
Where is your gap? At the bottom of the glass?
Not too uncommon but a good tint shop will do a better job than this. Zero gaps like this anywhere on either of our current cars, but I did have a small gap like this on my R's tint, but only on the front passenger window.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My only reservation is that in California having tint that dark (or any tint depending on what you read) on the front windows is illegal.
It's not necessarily the ticket, but if you are ever in an accident (even if you are not at fault) the opposing layer can come after you with a claim that the illegal tint was the cause. See, if it wasn't for the illegal tint, you would have seen my client about to t-bone you... It's not his fault you were driving blind and didn't make an evasive maneuver like you should have...

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
It's not necessarily the ticket, but if you are ever in an accident (even if you are not at fault) the opposing layer can come after you with a claim that the illegal tint was the cause. See, if it wasn't for the illegal tint, you would have seen my client about to t-bone you... It's not his fault you were driving blind and didn't make an evasive maneuver like you should have...
Anything is possible but despite the illegal tint on my S60R I was found 100% no fault in my crash... the cops, all three insurance companies, and the local district attorney all put anothet guy fully at fault.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Where is your gap? At the bottom of the glass?
Not too uncommon but a good tint shop will do a better job than this. Zero gaps like this anywhere on either of our current cars, but I did have a small gap like this on my R's tint, but only on the front passenger window.
I wish I could post a pic of it...I think the tint shop did a horrible job. So horrible in fact, I have an appointment in the morning to take the car back and I'm asking for ALL the tint to be removed. If they can't do a better job than this, it just needs to come off. I also think they should refund my money. I paid $235 for the work and I am too embarrassed to drive my car now! :mad:

When looking at the rear passenger doors, there is a black frame where the front and rear doors meet...the very obvious gap is there, right where the black frames are located. It looks literally ridiculous. I can't even believe they charged me for the work. The gap is the width of my thumb, like a line they cut the tint too short vertically. It looks horrid. :angryfire:

·
Registered
31 Posts
What was their reasoning for the gap?
Tint shop guy said he was "overwhelmed." Seriously??? I was overwhelmed when he thought I should accept how that looks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Had my V60 done on Wednesday, no gap there... 20% all around I will post pics in another thread at some point.

but cj, that's not really normal to be honest. I don't see why there would be a gap there.... When I snap pics I will take close ups so you can go back and wtf the shop.

OP : you car looks awesome man.

mb3563/15 V60 T6/Ember black/Beechwood/Tech/Climate/Blis

1 - 20 of 39 Posts