SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day, my driver's side window switch began sticking. I lifted up the rocker switch and sprayed WD 40 under it. It didn't seem to have any effect, good or bad. And then.....<p>A day later, the windows stopped going up or down, even if I used the passenger switch (from reading other posts, it seems that the passenger side switch runs through the driver's side switch). <p>Then, I actually saw SMOKE coming from the switch!!!!!<p>I finally have the windows up (it still works intermittently) but the smoke has reappeared once or twice, even though I have stopped using the window swtiches. I suspect the power door locks must be run through here some how and using them is firing up whatever short is ocurring in there.<p>So my question is: do I assume this is just a bad switch panel and replace it, or could it be some bigger problem that I should go to the dealer for?<p>And where is the cheapest place to get the switch panel from?<p>Thanks,<br>Gordon

·
Registered
119 Posts
Re: Window Switch Problem (slackjawed)

I'm afraid the switch is seized. <br>I have had the same problem on my driver side (right hand drive) switch - will not operate and then it started to smoke, i disconnected the switch immediately (it can be carefully lifted out without removing the door pad)<p>It seems to seize from water (open window?) and dust contamination - and i feel that replace new is the safest option, but not the cheapest one! But remember, there is no smoke without fire..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Window Switch Problem (hikennys)

Thanks for the confirmation. Just today I noticed it smokes when I start the car up in the morning too!<p>I'm going to try to replace the switch panel myself. I removed the tab that hides the hex screw and then removed the screw. But the plastic handle didn't seem to come out with moderate force.<p>Does anyone have instructions on how to replace this switch?

·
Registered
852 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>slackjawed</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does anyone have instructions on how to replace this switch?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>The switch-block just gets pryed vertically in one piece. There's no need to remove any trim items. For prying without damage, Volvo recomends a standard putty knife with the corners ground round.<p>We can order this switch for you at $116.67 plus shipping.<p>Thanks for your consideration.<p>John Sharisky<p>

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>slackjawed</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the confirmation. Just today I noticed it smokes when I start the car up in the morning too!<p>I'm going to try to replace the switch panel myself. I removed the tab that hides the hex screw and then removed the screw. But the plastic handle didn't seem to come out with moderate force.<p>Does anyone have instructions on how to replace this switch?</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Yeah, really. It carefully prys right up and out if there, no need to remove anything.<br>Replacement takes about 1 minute

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Window Switch Problem (JRL)

You are right....took all of 5 minutes.<p>Now, does anyone want a window switch assembly with a short in it to either rebuild or use for parts? <p>Email me at slackjawed1 at hotmail dot com and we can discuss.<p>Thanks!<br>Gordon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts