SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the windshield and lower corner trims replaced. I was hoping that this would solve my wind noise problem since the seal and trim looked dried out. Are there any other sources that can be causing the noise? It seems to be coming from the lower corner of the driver side windshield.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
if the wipers aren't mounted low enough they will catch wind. When I got my XC, I had to lower the drivers wiper by 2 inches. It was actually whistling.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Just had the windshield and lower corner trims replaced. I was hoping that this would solve my wind noise problem since the seal and trim looked dried out. Are there any other sources that can be causing the noise? It seems to be coming from the lower corner of the driver side windshield.
So you had the wind noise problem before you replaced the windshield?

Driver's side, fuse panel:

If this plug is missing, you will have air entering driver side footwell when moving forward ...

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
You might try moving your driver's door window slightly up or slightly down. I just had this happen yesterday when driving my wife's car that I was hearing a wind whistle. I pulled the window switch up and it was already at the top of travel, so nothing happened. I slightly bumped the window switch down (just enough to barely activate the motor) and bingo, it silenced it. Worth a shot.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you had the wind noise problem before you replaced the windshield?

Driver's side, fuse panel:

If this plug is missing, you will have air entering driver side footwell when moving forward ...

Yes, I’ve had the wind noise since I got it in February. I did check the fuse box and I do have that plug. Thanks. Was hoping that would be it. Search continues.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might try moving your driver's door window slightly up or slightly down. I just had this happen yesterday when driving my wife's car that I was hearing a wind whistle. I pulled the window switch up and it was already at the top of travel, so nothing happened. I slightly bumped the window switch down (just enough to barely activate the motor) and bingo, it silenced it. Worth a shot.
Thanks, but I’ve had this sound ever since I got it in February. Always thought it was the seal or trim because they were so dried out. The cowl trim was literally falling apart. Now everything is new and I’m still getting the wind noise.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
I think there's a seal/bushing/thing around where the steering goes through the firewall. You might check there.

·
Registered
251 Posts
To test, put a piece of tape over the gap between the mirror and the mounting arm at the hinge on the leading edge. That was where mine was. I "weatherstripped" it with a thick piece of o-ring that I had cut pushed into the gap.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Was a problem on my '05 back in the day, fixed by adding tape or a gasket to front rail mounts- https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?38084-Sunroof-wind-noise-at-higher-speed, probably not your issue but thought to re-post.

Just saw this post, time flies- https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5054 , reference to the TNN but the alldata link is broke. As another point of reference, every time I was in the car it sounded to me like it was coming from down by the pillar, when a passenger was in the car it was more obvious to them that the sound was not coming from the bottom but from the upper area.

Which reminds me, you have the rubber seal between the the lower windshield cover and hood all stuck down and in place? Since years, every time I lift the hood on the '05, I have to rearrange that thing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fixed the wind noise!! Behind the tweeter triangle cover there is a thick black wire coming through the frame of the door. I placed some foam inserts around it and taped over it. Now the wind noise is gone!! Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Hope this helps anyone else in the future.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Windo Noise XC90 Front side windows

Fixed the wind noise!! Behind the tweeter triangle cover there is a thick black wire coming through the frame of the door. I placed some foam inserts around it and taped over it. Now the wind noise is gone!! Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Hope this helps anyone else in the future.
Can you show a photo of what you mean? Did you have to remove the door cards to get access? The wind noise on my 2019 XC90 is driving me mad,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts