SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have the Magnaflow 12265 muffler on my car (2013 T6 RD). It's the 2.5" inlet, dual 2.5" outlets.

It's got a deep note to it that sounds nice, but because apparently I am a child when it comes to exhaust, I want it louder.

I'm considering removing the resonator, but I'm wondering if this would introduce drone. With a 120-mile round trip commute, drone is something that I definitely do not want.

Anyone have any similar experience or ideas of what this may do?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Pretty sure you'll encounter drone with resonator removed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Currently I have the Magnaflow 12265 muffler on my car (2013 T6 RD). It's the 2.5" inlet, dual 2.5" outlets.

It's got a deep note to it that sounds nice, but because apparently I am a child when it comes to exhaust, I want it louder.

I'm considering removing the resonator, but I'm wondering if this would introduce drone. With a 120-mile round trip commute, drone is something that I definitely do not want.

Are there any aftermarket performance exhaust systems that will not void the factory warranty? Wondering what my options are for a 2011 S60 T6 AWD.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there any aftermarket performance exhaust systems that will not void the factory warranty? Wondering what my options are for a 2011 S60 T6 AWD.
They cannot outright void your warranty because of an exhaust or any after-market part, this is illegal. They may try, but they have to prove what you installed caused an issue with the car.

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act is what explains this.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Well if you're this concerned and would rather not even chance it there are KPAX exhaust systems out there that are more expensive but totally fine. Basically it is a borla exhaust that sounds really good for quite a bit more than if you were to do yourself.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well if you're this concerned and would rather not even chance it there are KPAX exhaust systems out there that are more expensive but totally fine. Basically it is a borla exhaust that sounds really good for quite a bit more than if you were to do yourself.
Any thoughts on these systems: http://www.vivaperformance.com/exhaust-and-downpipe-systems-7/

I'm looking for performance upgrades more than anything else. I don't want to spend this kind of money simply to make my car sound "cool" without doing anything to boost performance.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Any thoughts on these systems: http://www.vivaperformance.com/exhaust-and-downpipe-systems-7/

I'm looking for performance upgrades more than anything else. I don't want to spend this kind of money simply to make my car sound "cool" without doing anything to boost performance.
Merely my opinion without having done any research, which you should do yourself before you decide on anything, but they seem fine to me. The Ferrita exhaust seems relatively expensive but I'm sure it sounds good though I doubt it offers too much in performance on its own. I'd probably scour youtube for sound clips and see what others think that have it before buying anything. I'm just disappointed that there aren't as many mods for the T5s as T6 engine seems to be getting all the good stuff.

Exhaust will give you a little, exhaust and downpipe will help quite a bit, add an intercooler and some better flowing intake stuff (if this is a restriction in the T6 engine which I don't know) and it should be pretty nice. Couple all this with a tune, Polestar or otherwise and it'll be a huge difference in power. As far as best bang for your buck the tune would be the first thing as far as large increase in power, which you may already have.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Merely my opinion without having done any research, which you should do yourself before you decide on anything, but they seem fine to me. The Ferrita exhaust seems relatively expensive but I'm sure it sounds good though I doubt it offers too much in performance on its own. I'd probably scour youtube for sound clips and see what others think that have it before buying anything. I'm just disappointed that there aren't as many mods for the T5s as T6 engine seems to be getting all the good stuff.

Exhaust will give you a little, exhaust and downpipe will help quite a bit, add an intercooler and some better flowing intake stuff (if this is a restriction in the T6 engine which I don't know) and it should be pretty nice. Couple all this with a tune, Polestar or otherwise and it'll be a huge difference in power. As far as best bang for your buck the tune would be the first thing as far as large increase in power, which you may already have.
Did the Polestar upgrade a few weeks ago and it has made a big difference. Just trying to educate myself on what else is out there. Do you know if dealers will typically install aftermarket parts? For instance, could I have an exhaust system drop-shipped to the dealer and pay them to install or will they refuse because it's not factory authorized?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Did the Polestar upgrade a few weeks ago and it has made a big difference. Just trying to educate myself on what else is out there. Do you know if dealers will typically install aftermarket parts? For instance, could I have an exhaust system drop-shipped to the dealer and pay them to install or will they refuse because it's not factory authorized?
This depends upon the dealer, your best bet is to ask until you find a dealership that will.

Like I said the Momentum Volvo in Houston is really mod friendly. I had another instance where I wanted to install lowering springs on my wife's BMW X3 and the idiot service guy right off the bat said it would void the warranty without even anymore information. That guy is usually an asshole (been going to this BMW dealership for 3 yrs) so I think he said that so I wouldn't ask anymore questions concerning it. Really, lowering springs will not void one's warranty. It just depends upon the dealership.

The dealership I got my Volvo from installed a rear antisway bar, lowering springs, and exhaust on my car all provided by KPAX, so how can they claim your warranty is void if you did the same thing with some other brand, let alone having one of the dealers tech's perform the work? Hypocritical so I doubt they would.

It's like S60 T5 Moosed said, they can't just void your warranty due to a part installed, but they may try and sway you from doing anything by claiming your warranty is void. I feel an exhaust isn't going to be any cause for concern. Say you had an upgraded turbo installed with new injectors and fuel pump plus tune (not polestar), then I'd venture if you had issues your warranty may be void.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts

The turbo and cats muffle things quite a bit. I would actually recommend you delete the magnaflow muffler at the back of the car and run only the center resonator.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The turbo and cats muffle things quite a bit. I would actually recommend you delete the magnaflow muffler at the back of the car and run only the center resonator.
That's an interesting idea. Wonder if there's a way to do a bypass like the polestar exhaust and still have it look stock rather than a cutout that would empty somewhere besides the tailpipe.

·
Registered
221 Posts
what would deleting the muffler do to performance? could there be a bit of torque loss?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It may reduce some back pressure. Reduced back pressure is good for turbos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
It may reduce some back pressure. Reduced back pressure is good for turbos.

okay well, i went ahead and had my muffler removed on my t6 3.0 non RD, and the thing is loud! Good amount of drone too. I feel like its not as quick off the line, especially in Sport mode. Its me more than likely. Most of mt research shows better overall performance on turbo muffler delete examples.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you still have the resonator in place?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sound clips/pics?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Sound clips/pics?
Local guy here put an exhaust cut out in to bypass the muffler. At the drag strip the car was consistently .3 slower and lost IIRC 2 mph on the top end. He said on the Data is was making significantly less power with the muffler bypassed out of the system. The chance of loosing HP (due to computers) has stopped me from putting an exhaust on mine so far. I'd love the weight savings.

·
Registered
337 Posts
^^^^^^ what he said =>

my evo x full exhaust, ecu reflash and intake neted me around 130hp over stock around 420 hp

the r design, same mod'si would probably loose power =<

the fact volvo has a lock on the ecu really sucks and the turbo probably isnt all that great. also factor in the transmision exploding if it ever did put any real power down.

·
Registered
889 Posts
^^^^^^ what he said =>

my evo x full exhaust, ecu reflash and intake neted me around 130hp over stock around 420 hp

the r design, same mod'si would probably loose power =<

the fact volvo has a lock on the ecu really sucks and the turbo probably isnt all that great. also factor in the transmision exploding if it ever did put any real power down.
A lot of modern cars are like this. Mini's I know loose hp when you do bolt ons, unless you get into the ECU.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts