SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I'll take my chances. Went into a carwash yesterday and later in the day low beam failure came on, I assumed it was a bulb but switched it out to no avail. My headlamp unit has water in it, so I guess it drained into the ballast.

·
3,838 Posts
Not sure about that, this is the model.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw...12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=&rmvSB=true

Do your self a favor, send the lights out an have a pro reseal them. They can also de-amber them. I sent them out to JB at blackflame customs an he did an amazing job. If you just replace the ballast it will happen again, I had the exact thing happen to me.

www.blackflamecustoms.com

And my original post ~
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?208727-ArrrrrR-Stupid-headlight-problem-any-ideas

·
Registered
181 Posts
Try soaking it in alcohol for 20 Min and let it dry for about 45. Worked fine for me. But of course fix the moisture issue as well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is resealing a job I can do myself, not sure I can have car down for long.

·
3,838 Posts
Releasing is beyond a PITA an if you mess up you have to do it all over again. JB is FAST, the actual process is 1 day turn around but it all depends on shipping. 2 day priority is probably your best bet. I was lucky as he is local, dropped my lights off at 10 an he had them done by 3! This is not something I would try at home, especially a first time with R lights. They will cost you 2x as much to replace an no guarantee's that they won't leak again. These ballasts are a pain to get out, leave it to a pro.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The whole resealing process is relatively painless. Look up any projector retrofit thread and you'll find a wealth of info on how to get the lens off and put it back on. Butyl Tape is the best to use, if you need new sealant. But most people just re-use the existing sealant.

If there is standing water in your headlight it's possible that something is shorting out. I would remove the headlight, remove the glass lens, dry out the interior of the light with some heat (blow dryer). re-connect wires and plug back in (without fully reinstalling the light). If it works, put the lens back on and reinstall everything. If it doesn't work, find a ballast from a part-out.

Honestly it takes longer to get the headlight out of the car than it does to remove and reseal the lens.

Post back if you can't find the info you need.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Also, once you have the headlight out of the car the ballast takes 60 seconds to remove.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more thing, does anyone know where to source the clip that holds the HID light in after you reinsert it? Mine has a rigged up piece of wire.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Is resealing a job I can do myself, not sure I can have car down for long.
Yes. Once the headlamp is out it is definitely a DIY job. Use a heat gun if you need to soften up any sealer. Try to locate the source of the exposure before you start.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
I do them all the time, not a big deal, really!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Hate to quote myself but an FYI, this ballast indeed did work, even though it said Audi/VW etc. It was $118 and free shipping(if you're a prime member)
Brand new.
Good to know. Should add a review on Amazon with your car info so others that don't make it here might come across it.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I have resealed my headlights 5 times just re-using the same butyl tape that already existed on the headlight. Never had a leak after all 5 times resealing. I took them apart that many times because I was making modifications. I wouldn't recommend the oven trick, I only recommend using a heat gun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts