SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's my dilemma. I have a 12 s60 T5.

I found a set of practically brand new Blizzak ws-70's on Craigslist. I went and checked them out and it appears the seller's story that they were only used for a couple of weeks holds true.

I am running the Michelin stock all seasons, 215/50/17 right now. The Blizzak tires that i am interested in are 205/50/17. I checked the compatibility with my car and discounttire.com indicated the size would fit through the "plus zero" sizing system. I wasn't convinced so I called discount tire and the rep told me that although the size would fit there was an issue with the load rating of the tire. He stated that my car required a load rating of 95 while the blizzaks had a load rating of 93.

I did a bit of research on load ratings because I didn't know much about it. I found that the max load was the curb weight of the car plus the max occupants/haul in the car was 4573 lbs(curb weight was 3548 from volvo.com and max occupant load was 1025 taken from the placard on the door). A 93 load rated tire will have a max load of 5732 lbs. (1433 for each tire). Meanwhile the 95 load rating will have a max load of 6084 lbs.(1521 for each tire).

Tirerack sells, among others, a Blizzak option at 215/50/17 with a 95 load rating and a General Altimax Arctic with a 215/50/17 option with only a 91 load rating.

So here are my questions. Why wouldn't I be able to run the 205/50/17 Blizzaks with the 93 load rating? And secondly, why would the General tires be okay at 91 load rating while the Blizzaks are not okay at 93? I understand I called discount tire and only use tire rack's website but I'm thinking discount tire told me this from a liability standpoint because the manufacturer does call for a 95 load rating on all tires that go on the car.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

·
Registered
13,483 Posts
I think the 93 load rated tires would be fine, unless you are regularly driving around with loads approaching the above limits, which is probably pretty unlikely.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts