SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will parts from a 2003 FWD s60 work on a 2004 S60R? Like the hood, dash, bumper cover, drivers airbag, passenger airbag, radiator core support, headlights?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I've heard that R hoods are aluminum and regular P2 ones are not, but I'm not 100% on that.

The dash should fit, obviously the leather over the gauge cluster would not be present in the 03 FWD.

The bumper cover will fit, but will be different than an R bumper cover.

The airbag should swap, but it will not have the R on it of course.

Rad support I'd imagine is the same, but I'll let someone else confirm that.

Headlights should fit, but will be a downgrade as they're probably not HIDs.

In short, pretty much everything will fit, but it will be less "R".

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,776 Posts
The bumper cover and headlights are unique to the R model. You will need someone with access to VIDA check to see if the part numbers for the airbags changed between 2003 and 2004. There are some here on the forum who have already done such trade-outs and may reply shortly with that information.

·
Registered
96 Posts
A regular S60 bumper will not fit, but a regular V70 front bumper will. The nose on the S60R is slightly longer than the standard S60, but is the same length as the V70. I believe its the same case with the core support but I am not 100% sure on that. The hood is the same, all of them were aluminum. Dash and airbags will fit, but the driver's airbag will look different. The headlights are different, but another user had some success with regular halogens.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I don't know if I mentioned this in your introduction post but you may want to give Erie Vovo a call as you get to work on rebuilding your car. I expect that you will have to replace your driver seat belt. I wouldn't recommend a used one as it may still trip the SRS code. I bought one from Tasca after my accident and cleared the code with Vida.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After looking at some photos, I have determined that the leather over the gauge cluster will swap over. Can anyone confirm the core support?

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Steering wheel is completely different in the V70. Unless it's an R.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Will parts from a 2003 FWD s60 work on a 2004 S60R? Like the hood, dash, bumper cover, drivers airbag, passenger airbag, radiator core support, headlights?

s60 parts that will work on an S60R:

hood - direct swap

dash - the whole dash or the gauge cluster cover? Regardless, the regular s60 dash will fit in an R. as well as the gauge cluster cover.

bumper cover - yes it will, it will bolt up

drivers airbag - as long as its a 3 spoke steering wheel

passenger airbag - yes it will, but may need to be programmed

rad core support - yes it will swap over, no difference, as long as s60 swaps over to an s60

headlights - will bolt up, but you may get several failure messages in the DIM.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
s60 parts that will work on an S60R:

hood - direct swap

dash - the whole dash or the gauge cluster cover? Regardless, the regular s60 dash will fit in an R. as well as the gauge cluster cover.

bumper cover - yes it will, it will bolt up

drivers airbag - as long as its a 3 spoke steering wheel

passenger airbag - yes it will, but may need to be programmed

rad core support - yes it will swap over, no difference, as long as s60 swaps over to an s60

headlights - will bolt up, but you may get several failure messages in the DIM.
THANKS!!! This is so helpful!!!!

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Also keep in mind that if you use non-R parts it will drop the resale value considerably. There was a V70R posted here that had a stock S60 bumper on it. Everyone basically took turns warning each other not to buy it because it had the wrong bumper on it. People took that to mean that the rebuilder had no idea what they were doing, or took shortcuts instead of fixing it right. It was for sale for over 2 years.

Some of the parts are actually the same, like the dash and the seatbelts and the hood, but the bumper, driver's airbag, and headlights are unique to the R.

·
Registered
3 Posts
An Update to the original OP's Question...

77x has acquired a 2003 S60 that is in very good shape for a small price.

It is a base model with a 2.4 engine that is toast.

So now the big question...? What year V70 wagon is the same a S60 R front?

Rather than dismantle the base S60 it seems better to get a car that has all the parts we need to fix both cars.

So we would be looking for a V70 with a 2.4 engine. Correct?

·
Registered
96 Posts
An Update to the original OP's Question...

77x has acquired a 2003 S60 that is in very good shape for a small price.

It is a base model with a 2.4 engine that is toast.

So now the big question...? What year V70 wagon is the same a S60 R front?

Rather than dismantle the base S60 it seems better to get a car that has all the parts we need to fix both cars.

So we would be looking for a V70 with a 2.4 engine. Correct?

Depends on what the engine VIN code is and which engine number the 2003 S60 carries. Send me a PM and I'll see what I can find out when I get to work. VIN code 61 is much easier to find since it was the federal emissions engine, 64 is a nightmare to find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Depends on what the engine VIN code is and which engine number the 2003 S60 carries. Send me a PM and I'll see what I can find out when I get to work. VIN code 61 is much easier to find since it was the federal emissions engine, 64 is a nightmare to find.
Thanks, will do!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts