·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
H7 and 9005 - not HID...

As much as people gripe about the HIDs, I wouldn't go away from them.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
they will work yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Someone on here has a pair like this or very similar in their build thread

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Yes they "work" as in bolt into our cars physically, but they are not plug and play, you will have to do wiring to get them to work.

Throw a decent plug and play HID kit like from TRS into them, and you will have much better lighting than the stock reflector based HID's that suck.

You will probably also have to do some work to turn off the warning messages from the car.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/S60-V70-200...ash=item1c490da867:g:iakAAOSwJkJWhTT1&vxp=mtr

they look like a knock-off some other headlights that were floating around here a while back, but at a much lower cost.
These are the same ABM Made Projector Headlights that EST sells. They fit physically, and they wire up, but for our Rs with the Xenon Headlights we'll need to bypass some errors before they work seamlessly. I know the regular Halogen base model 01-04 S60,V70,XC70 have no issues with these.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Don't do it.... Any aftermarket housing uses very poor quality projectors lens and seals..... Take it from me that's what I do! I own Headlights NW in PDX and we are the number one complete headlight customization company in Oregon and Washington... we have to repair and rebuild these headlights all the time and it's a joke! They might "look" cool but they are no where near the quality or the level of customization of something we could build or any custom headlight shop! Look deeper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Seems like really good advice.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replays guys. I guess I'll pass. I just hate our ****ty lighting.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I find it to be pretty good with a set of 5k bulbs in there. Maybe I'm alone on that opinion though lol. I've never had cars with better lights. Besides my 2 volvos, all the other cars I drive are from the 50s and 60s. So those lights are like really shiity lol

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
I find it to be pretty good with a set of 5k bulbs in there. Maybe I'm alone on that opinion though lol. I've never had cars with better lights. Besides my 2 volvos, all the other cars I drive are from the 50s and 60s. So those lights are like really shiity lol
Yeah with Mercedes/Philips 4300k D2R bulbs in there its pretty good. I'd swap glass before I swapped headlights for hideous/chitzy aftermarket junk.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do it yourself, me and a handful of other members has converted projector headlights. Really easy to do, 200x more light output. My conversion cost me 80$, looks way better than the generic audi type you get on ebay.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do it yourself, me and a handful of other members has converted projector headlights. Really easy to do, 200x more light output. My conversion cost me 80$, looks way better than the generic audi type you get on ebay.

$80 bucks! Now, that's a project that I can get excited about. Off to do some searching....:D

·
Registered
868 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'm with you there. The R's HID reflectors may be poor compared to modern (last 5-8 years) HIDs and LEDs, but are pretty middle-of-the-pack compared to older stuff. Right in line with the HID projectors on my old B5 S4, and a bit better than the halogen projectors on my B5.5 Passat.

Not surprisingly, a popular retrofit on those particular cars was swapping in Acura TSX lenses and reflector bowls. Honda/Acura has some lovely optics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts