SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an 06 s60r with a manual transmission. I love and die by manuals..I really want to trade up to a newer model but every time I go to do it I get cold feet at the simple fact that I would be driving an automatic. Is there any indication that Volvo might come back with the s60 in a manual? I would die for a manual transmission polestar!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
With car manufacturers going to 8+ speed transmissions which offer quicker times and better economy it pretty much means the manual is going the way of the do-do unfortunately.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah I really wanted a manual too. Unfortunately manufacturers just aren't making them anymore because people don't buy them. Only 3.9% of new cars sold in 2013 were manual transmissions.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Just keep your current or get another as a play car to get your fix (what, $5-$8K?). Get the new Volvo for regular daily drive duty. Most folks are dealing with heavy traffic commutes, so who needs the hassle of rowing the gears. JMO, but a manual in a luxury family car 4 door sedan or wagon seems a bit ancient history and unreasonable to expect to me. I get it making sense in a sport coupe, two seater, etc. I recall saying many years ago that I'd never drive anything but a 2 door with a stick. How times have changed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agree that manual is ancient, unfortunately in Europe (especially Denmark where I live) automatic is pretty rare and considered as pure luxury! Would expect that 10-15% of cars sold here are automatic, rest is manual!

My V60 is automatic, but it's my first automatic car - changed from 9 years of BMW all manual! Before other cars and all also manual!

·
Registered
86 Posts
My V60 is my first automatic car after manuals in Hondas, Saabs and VW's. When I was looking for a new car, a manual was a high priority, but all the other features of the V60 lead to accepting the automatic. And truth be told, I am not sure I miss the manual. The 6 sp manual on my last car, a VW Sportwagen TDI, was a bit much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Buick Regal GS is available in manual transmission and compares favorably with Volvo S60 in some ways and not in others. It's an Opel something or other in Europe and if I'm not mistaken badged completely differently in the UK, because what else would make sense?
--
EDIT+
Opel Insignia and Vauxhall Insignia (??)

·
Registered
989 Posts
With car manufacturers going to 8+ speed transmissions which offer quicker times and better economy it pretty much means the manual is going the way of the do-do unfortunately.

Agreed. And the manual trans in our 2013 is nothing to write home about. Sloppy, jerky and "springy" pedal feel. Yeah, not a real fan of it.

Had a 2012 Civic Si in the family that was butter smooth. We sold it right before the C30 showed up in the garage. Night and day between the two.

Putting around town, does fine. Get on it and 1st to 2nd will jerk the crap out of ya. Rest of the gears are smooth. Several have noted it in the C30 forum and C30 Crew site.

Love it for the control of power! 2nd and 3rd have amazing power bands.

·
Registered
13,507 Posts
Manual transmissions are pretty much just a novelty in the States now. My sister has an entry level Passat that still has a manual - drove it last weekend and is pretty nice but I can't imagine you could get a manual on one of their AWD cars.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Have any of you noticed that the new Ford Focus RS will only be supplied with a manual? Obviously a "super hot hatch" high performance version, but conceivably a future direct competitor to the next V40 in Polestar edition, if the rumors are true. Here's a case where a Volvo manual option would be wise.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Manual transmissions are pretty much just a novelty in the States now. My sister has an entry level Passat that still has a manual - drove it last weekend and is pretty nice but I can't imagine you could get a manual on one of their AWD cars.
I think only Golf R's in the US now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Manual transmissions are pretty much just a novelty in the States now.
True, but some other novelties are the automakers' attempts to clean up the gear-shifter portion of their cars. Chrysler has introduced their dial and Acura the pushbutton. None of this is new. Pushbuttons and shifter on the tree were introduced in the 1960s. Driving a car with a manual transmission forces you to focus on the driving experience. I've driven a manual transmission for most of my adult life, and people who drive a standard are probably not texting and driving, at least in city traffic. Total control of my shift points and using two feet to interact with my car makes me a more alert driver. All the bells and whistles today, especially at the higher price points, are about how much can we have the car do for the driver. We don't have self-driving cars yet, but we do have a lot of distracted drivers - texting, talking, interacting with their vehicle. Automobile technology is advancing towards protecting the driver from their own distractedness while distracting them all the more. I'm not convinced that's a good thing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
True, but some other novelties are the automakers' attempts to clean up the gear-shifter portion of their cars. Chrysler has introduced their dial and Acura the pushbutton. None of this is new. Pushbuttons and shifter on the tree were introduced in the 1960s. Driving a car with a manual transmission forces you to focus on the driving experience. I've driven a manual transmission for most of my adult life, and people who drive a standard are probably not texting and driving, at least in city traffic. Total control of my shift points and using two feet to interact with my car makes me a more alert driver. All the bells and whistles today, especially at the higher price points, are about how much can we have the car do for the driver. We don't have self-driving cars yet, but we do have a lot of distracted drivers - texting, talking, interacting with their vehicle. Automobile technology is advancing towards protecting the driver from their own distractedness while distracting them all the more. I'm not convinced that's a good thing.
Well said. We had brunch with extended family members this morning and this subject came up. Two in our family just got their driver license. We debated as to whether it was necessary for them to learn how to "drive stick". Sadly I am not sure it is necessary any more; however, I would like these young drivers to have the experience anyway. One comment was made that it was always cheaper to purchase a car with a manual, which I think is a bad reason to buy a MT. I think you have to want the experience as a totally engaged driver, as described above. These days that is unlikely.

·
Registered
777 Posts
It is a sad trend with the decline in manual gearboxes in the US. I always prefer three pedals when possible. I had to move to Sweden to be able to continue to drive a Volvo with a manual gearbox. It is great to find sticks in XC90s (first gen), S80s, XC60s, etc. My three older daughters all learned on sticks and I need to keep the Miata forever so my nine year old can learn on that.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sad but you guys have pretty much said it all. it is sad. agreed. I was happy I waited forever to find my P2 VR in M66. I do like the new dual clutch gearboxes of today, but am not a fan of the cost of their maintenance. One cannot deny on the way they perform, especially on a track. The entire tactile feel, awareness and 'dancing while seated' ballet those of us can do that others cant is wonderful. I was slapped with the fact while in Iceland. Some college girls from Denver rented a vehicle and went to start it, while in gear....ill admit, I watched KNOWING what was about to happen with a smirk. They were disgusted and thought they rented an automatic. They paid $25 more PER DAY for an automatic. The opportunity is there for the new generation, they just don't care. While watching the girls get another car assigned, another lady was there with her son who was glued to his iPhone (shocker). He said something that anyone here familiar with Car and Drivers 'Save the Manuals' movement may be familiar with, already predicted, and it was haunting. He was of almost of driving age and wanted NOTHING to do with driving AT ALL. Wasn't interested. This is actually a huge trend. Kids aren't even interested in driving these days PERIOD! Amazon and drones and delivery everything and soon to be auto drive cars are already taking their toll. Those of us that can 'row our own' are an even more rare breed in the US than we think!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm mourning the demise of the manual tramsmission, what the heck happened in the last 10 years.

That the polestar doesn't come with a true manual tramsmission is borderline criminal!

I will be looking for a new car (maybe brand new first time in my life) in 1 or 2 years, and wanted it to be a volvo, but that's not a given, since I think I want to be in a manual again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts