SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to start the car and all I get is a click sound from the engine area plus the interior gauges come on. I’ve driven and run the car multiple times the last few months. Pulled the battery cables, no corrosion buildup, cleaned and reattached to the battery. Nothing changed to the symptoms when attempting to start. The battery is at 12.64V. I attempted to jump start the car and I get the same result, click sound from the engine area with interior gages and lights coming on. The engine starter does not to crank during these attempts.
Anyone have some thoughts on where to start on the troubleshooting?
Thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sounds like the starter solenoid. Maybe starter but first guess would be solenoid.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
556 Posts
s;

What conditions was VBat measured under?...under Starting attempt Load or while not under Load...there is a HUGE difference!...a Bat which is at some acceptable sounding voltage while not supplying any current may collapse to next to nothing when activating Solenoid...please report VBat under Starting attempts...if VBat remains above 10V when you power Solenoid, and it doesn't crank, I agree with op it might be Sol Or High Current Contact of Starter Assy. See: https://www.sw-em.com/starter.htm

Cheers

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
If it is the starter assembly; sometimes a rap on the solenoid / starter with a small ball peen hammer can cause things to start working again; however, that is typically a temporary reprieve.

Starter rebuild is definitely possible; but, if you have the original SR37x style starter I suggest an upgrade to the later SR437X starter which utilizes a permanent magnet starter motor. Volvo started using these on the 4 cylinder red blocks in the mid 80s or thereabouts. They draw less current than the old SR37x and spin faster so generally give you improved starting and less demand on the battery. Plus, they weight a hell of a lot less which is really nice when you are doing the replacement. Its pretty much a drop in replacement except that the mounting ears are threaded for metric bolts. You can drill out the mounting ears to accept the original mounting bolts or spend a couple of $ to get the correct mounting bolts. I did this on my 1971 142E about 5 years ago and it is one upgrade that I have absolutely no reservations about. Rock Auto sells SR37X remans for around $100 (before core charge).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. Went out to start and test voltage again. Starter turned and a few seconds later smoke from the solenoid. Troubleshooting just got a little easier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
556 Posts
s;

Smoke from Solenoid?...or Solenoid area?...simply a loose connection on Sol term 30 can also provide the symptoms reported, and generate the heat necessary to make smoke...now you know where look anyway...and it's right where everyone has pointed so far...

Good Hunting!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After checking all of the solenoid connections were tight and attempting to start again nothing happened. My solution to this was a new starter and solenoid. Installed a Bosch BOS-SR437X and the car turned over and started without issue. Just a note on installation, the old starter had the bolts passing through it with nuts to secure it, the new starter was threaded and the old bolts went in and secured it without issue.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
After checking all of the solenoid connections were tight and attempting to start again nothing happened. My solution to this was a new starter and solenoid. Installed a Bosch BOS-SR437X and the car turned over and started without issue. Just a note on installation, the old starter had the bolts passing through it with nuts to secure it, the new starter was threaded and the old bolts went in and secured it without issue.
Well that is interesting and a mystery because your original starter would definitely be fastened with non metric fasteners and the newer sr437x would definitely be threaded metric . Volvo went all metric some time in the late 70s and the SR437x started production some time around then. If your SR 437x is a reman (are brand new ones even available?), perhaps a previous owner drilled and threaded it to accept the non metric bolts. Whatever the reason it works and that is all that really matters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts