SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have very limited car audio experience, but I'm hoping I can get some advice here. My new car is a 2004 Volvo C70 convertible (which I'm loving), and it has an SC-901 receiver. I believe I found the amp in the trunk (as I said, limited experience), but I don't know whether it is the 100x4 or the 60x4. I definitely don't have the surround sound, because there is no center speaker coming out of the dash. As far as speakers, I'm a bit confused b/c the dealer had the car listed as having 10 speakers, but I'm not sure that I have more than 8. I don't really hear any sound coming from behind the seats, and it looks like there is a spot on the back of the center console next to the window controls where a switch might be placed, but there is just a plastic filler there- no switch. I tried feeling for speakers through the trunk, but this trunk is really difficult to get into, lol. I'm assuming that I do not have Dynaudio speakers, but I thought I read somewhere that all C70's did?

Anyhow, my question is about the SC-901 receiver. I've been sitting on a Panasonic head unit for a couple of years that I always planned on having installed in my next car. It has three 5 volt pre-amp outputs, which I understand is an exceptionally good feature for a head unit. I've been trying to find the voltage of the SC-901 outs, but I've had no luck, not even in the specs portion of the manual. I'm wondering if you all would recommend replacing the stock unit with my Panasonic. It is not a double-din, but I did come across a page where another C70 owner used a single-din unit into some kind of gray pocket, and it looked pretty clean. However, I believe I read a post somewhere which advised against replacing components in the C70 sound system, as they all "work together well". I'm curious what that means exactly. For instance, if the SC-901 had say 2 volt outputs, what would make it produce better sound quality than if I replaced it with the Panasonic that has 5 volt outputs? Perhaps what I had read was referring only to the surround sound system?

I do think the system sounds good as it is, definitely better than my last car, but I'd love to make use of this head unit if it will improve the sound quality. Thanks in advance for any and all input!

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Hello all,
I do think the system sounds good as it is, definitely better than my last car, but I'd love to make use of this head unit if it will improve the sound quality. Thanks in advance for any and all input!
The SC-901 and your Panasonic should be pretty close to one another in sound quality. The SC-901 is actually an Alpine unit with low total harmonic distortion and pretty natural sound.

Maybe you just need to tweak the EQ to your liking. There is a separate 5 band EQ built in for both the front and rear channels.

P.S. There are midrange speakers in your car too, which is probably why you count 8 instead of 10.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
To access the internal custom equalizer (Custom EQ) - copied from Volvo manual

· Select "Custom EQ" by switching off the radio, holding down preset button 2 and switching the radio again. Select "Custom" .

· Press Scan.
· Press preset button 1-5 within 5 seconds:
Preset button 1 = set bass (60 Hz)
Preset button 2 = set mid-range bass (200 Hz)
Preset button 3 = set lower mid-range (800 Hz)
Preset button 4 = set upper mid-range (3 kHz)
Preset button 5 = set treble (12 kHz)
· Adjust the setting by turning the Tune knob clockwise (increase) or counterclockwise (decrease). The change can be seen in the display, as
well as heard.
· Use preset button 6 to adjust the settings of the front or rear speaker.
F = Front
R = Rear
Please note that the equalizer curves can be adjusted separately for the front and rear speakers.
· When you are satisfied with the adjustments you have made, press Scan again to store the settings.
· Press Scan once again to exit the settings mode.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts