SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just purchased a block to sleeve and have begun crunching some numbers on the turbo system. I probably should be asking the red block guys at this point but based on my rough guess calculations below it looks like I need a 50mm wastegate to prevent boost spikes with a 76mm gtx turbo. I ran my flow numbers as a simple orifice calc for the wastegate but it looks like I would only be at 89% open at redline. Does anyone else have experience with a low backpressure system like this?

73 to 76mm compressor
83mm turbine
88 a/r turbine housing

Do my numbers look right? I ran part of the calcs with an EFR turbo match bot. The rest is my musings.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Note, column #3 is 4000 RPM. I am a little concerned about oscillations since the valve will be fully seated where the turbo transitions to full boost. I cant seem to find a wastegate that gives good part throttle control around 4000 RPM but will also flow enough at redline. Is this even a concern?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, me. Sorry I forgot that I changed my sig at the bottom. I have an MS3 (Megasquirt 3) with an MS3X addon and a differential isolation board for the cams and crank angle sensor. Currently running fuel only but when I change out the turbo I will run sequential ignition as well. The AWD dyno I use is about 30 min from my house but I can get a safe low boost tune on the road without much difficulty.

·
Super Moderator
15,205 Posts
I was under the impression that a K16 was the only way to go due to mapping (and even that is a problem in the USA still)
Shark pretty much has the K16 tune figured out at this point. But there's lots of guys running bigger turbos than that. One S40 in the US (that I know of). Lots of guys in Sweden and South Africa are running these bigger setups as well, but they have access to custom tuners who know what they're doing with Volvos.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True. Everything I have is now too custom to use an off the shelf remap anyway. Loading a tune bought on the internet as stage 1,2,3 etc.. is just asking for a blown engine or much less power than otherwise should be available. You cannot just bolt a bunch of different parts togeather and load a tune created by someone 2000 miles away on a different car with different parts and expect good results. Sure you may make more power but it will never be as safe or as efficient as a custom tune just for your build.

That being said, MNIWT do you know of someone running a GT3076R or GTX?

·
Super Moderator
15,205 Posts
Here was a GT30 S40: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?140455-VOLVO-s40-powerhouse-continued

I can't remember which turbo he was putting in this, but it's much bigger than the K16 (he just blew his engine with timing, so it's still a work in progress): http://www.c30crew.com/forum/showthread.php?4948-PoLonY-s-New-Ride-07-C30-T5-with-a-lil-extra-spice

There's a few K16s on Crew who are really pushing the numbers as well.
Did you ever follow this build? http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?192166-opA%B4s-Volvo-V50-T5-R-Design-400WHP-build

1 - 8 of 8 Posts