SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is up for CA smog test for the first time since I bought it. I have a Stage 2 setup. Will this be an issue for passing the smog test? Is this something my indy can check for me before I take it for testing?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
hi-flow cat? 200 cel? just make sure your cat is warm and you should be fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am not a Ca resident, but it is my understanding that any modification to any part of the car involved in emissions control systems must carry a C.A.R.B. sticker with an eo number. If you've modified your intake, exhaust (except post- cat), ecu, etc. without a carb exemption, you may potentially fail the inspection. A mechanic familiar with emissions laws and modified cars should be able to tell you what needs to be changed to pass.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Intake isn't included in that. Just the CAT.

There are 2 different types of inspections in California, generally most are tagged for the lesser inspection. So, generally the CAT Numbers are not really looked at. They may take a quick glance for a CAT, but I'm sure most will be fine. If you are worried, check the top of your notice... if it says SMOG check station, don't worry about it. That means they are just looking at a smog test. If the top of your notice says, take it to a GOLD SHIELD STATION, hmm maybe think about the CAT swap out. Other than that, you'll be fine. And that's coming from a guy getting smogged checked for much more mods than you have.

The CA CAT rule is a scam of itself. In order for a Catylitic Coverter company to sell their product in CA, they have to pay the C.A.R.B. a lot of money. This is a way for CA to scam more money for the state. The cost is passed on to the consumer of the state as a CA CAT only product... which generally cost 2 to 3 times the amount of the same product sold in other states. The 2 products are the same and the only thing you pay for is the state C.A.R.B numbers on the CAT. I did research this a couple years back and have since ordered non CA CAT's shipped to someone outside the state and then shipped into the state. I've been fine.

Overall, CA lets you mod the car if it meets C.A.R.B or EPA Standard

You can go to the California Air Research Boards exempt list and search for devices. Take for an example Cold Air Filter or K&N filter, the list will show you just about everything is exempt from the law. In fact the exempt list is so long, it will take a long time to plow through it. As the top of the search says, CAT is all they care about.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I don't know about San Jose, but I had no issues with my setup in LA County when I had mine done. Hardest part was getting the rpm meter to read properly, the tech held the meter outside against the car while I held the throttle at 2500 rpm. Emissions wise, not even close to failing and they don't even look under the car. My thread: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?157061-Yay-passed-smog!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just had mine smogged in San Jose. Guy asked where my carb sticker was for snabb intake pipe and IPD boost hoses, don't think either came with any emissions stickers. Also looked under at EST cat, said "these cars have small cats huh"? Told him it must be a Volvo thing, ultimately passed was super clean at tailpipe. I do have stock tune though. Any aftermarket cat has to have CARB stamp on it in CA which EST cat does not have. Guess it just depends how thorough smog guy is i guess.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
^^Intake systems are exempt from the test per C.A.R.B. regulations. They don't need a C.A.R.B. sticker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts