SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about installing the Snapp high flow intake on my 2001 C70 low pressure turbo. The high flow intake pipe connects the air-meter to the turbo inlet.
I was also planning on drilling some holes in the air-box to increase the airflow. I figured I would examine the air-box and decided were the best place to drill the holes would be, because I don't think that drilling as-many holes as possible would be the best approach.
I am wondering if I could still drive the car and have good performance without getting a new tune. I wanted to wait and get a tune after I installed an exhaust & IPD blow-off valve springs.
what do you think?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
No. The ECU should compensate for the increased air flow.
If you changed turbos, injectors, or the downpipe then I would say yes.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
It's not like you're actually adding more air, you just lose restriction so the turbo will boost quicker. The MAF is still measuring the air that passes through it.

That said, you need a tune because getting a tune adds a significant amount of torque for relatively little money and almost no effort. I ran a tune on a bone stock C70 and was faster than a stock S60R at the drag strip. For my new one I'm running a downpipe and will probably buy a Snaab intake, and I'm looking forward to the extra improvement.

Don't randomly drill holes in your airbox because you'll just suck in hot engine bay air, which detracts from performance. Do baffles, or a tube like the R-Kelly intake or something, or don't do anything at all.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just purchased the Snabb intake a minute ago, I hope the C70 still runs ok without a tune because I want to purchase a trailer hitch & snowboard rack {for this winter} before I buy a tune. How much does a tune cost? I haven't researched a tune yet.
I am planning on doing a transmission flush next weekend and using Mobil 3309 from IPD and any thoughts.
thanks

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hard to say, but figure on about $500 and up. It all depends on the vendor you choose and the complexity of the tune needed.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
No you will not need a tune. You get a bigger turbo, you will not need a tune.you get a exhaust you will not need a tune. You don't need a tune for anything you do, there just will be a point where your car will progressively run worse and worse because of the mods. Intake, turbo upgrade, injectors, downpipe and exhaust then you will need a tune. ARD is a good reliable tuner for these cars. Stay away from speed tuning.you are warned about them. Google speedtuning problems and you will see. They are all true and I am one of them. Price should be in the $300s iirc

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
You don't need to drop the dough on mobile 3309 get Toyota type iv fluid or Valvoline Max life fluid much cheaper since you need 12-16 quarts

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

1 - 7 of 7 Posts