SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!!!!<P>Just wanted to say hi to my new forum friends as I will not be an active member of the Passat B5 forum at vwvortex any longer since a friend totaled my passat that was just 10 months old. I'm pretty sad about my passat but looking forward to my first Volvo, why did I choose the S40? The financing on the volvo was half of that of the passat and I can't wait till march-april for the new version so I decided to try my luck at Volvo.<P>What power upgrades can we get for the T4? When will the new S40 arrive?<P>

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Hey Man,<BR>Sorry to hear about your Passat. Don't let your buddy drive the S40 huh? The new S40 is a ways out, at least a year I would imagine for a production model. Good luck with your new car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you guys get the T4 in the states? The engine feels very fast, faster than the 8.4 0-60 times I have seen printed, I like the new 5 speed automatic transmition, since before buying my passat I looked at the S40 and the transmition was a weak point that is definetly gone.<P>Hope this forum grows with people similar to the vwvortex and audiworld. I have seen other forums and people are agressive and the point of the forums is to help and enjoy not trash other people.<P>Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Man, don't make the same mistake I did. I went from only driving VW to a V40. I am going back when the new Passat come out in April. The 40 series DOES NOT drive like a true european car. You will miss the German feel of the VW, I promise.<P>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The T4 has 200hp, the turbo blows at 11.7 lbs, I don;t know why you do not get this engine in the states.<P>I know it dosen't drive like the passat, it drives like the jetta, but I can't wait till april and I have finance it to make it tax deductable and VW financing is 80% more expensive so I will get the Volvo and leave it to my wife in a year. One thing the vovlvo does do is pull a lot harder till 100mph, the t4 at least.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It may or may not drive like a passat, but at least it has a real warranty. I have an S40 that I am happy with and it is definitely a fun car to drive. As for a T-4, I have not seen any info that Volvo is considering that engine in the states.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I respect your reasons.<P>Actually, I was comparing it to my 99.5 Jetta which I drove during the week untill I got my GTI VR6. After driving the Volvo on the weekends, I noticed a huge difference in the feel and quality between the two. And my new GTI raises the bar even more. The Volvo was faster than the Jetta 2.0, but not the VR6.<P>Yes, better warranty but my Volvo has been in for warranty work more times than all of my past 3 VWs combined. However, the longer warranty is still a Volvo advantage.<P>

·
Registered
339 Posts
The VR6 is a great engine, one that is a definite advantage over a 4 cylinder turbo. And I too have had some growing pains with my S40. The thing that concerns me is the difference between the '00 and '01 S40s. The '01 is such a better car with the 5-speed tranny, new interior and side impact curtains. All for virtually the same price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was comparing the Volvo to my passat V6 and I had a golf Vr6 before so I know what you mean, that is a fun car to drive and is very fast.<P>I live in Mexico and all warranties are 1 year unlimited miles, so this was not an issue.<P>The T4 is very different than the S40 with the 160hp engine, you can notice turbo lag in the T4 but after 3000 rpms it feels like its flying, even though it should be a little slower than a GTI VR6.<P>The VR6 with 24 valves, variable valve timing and the size increase to 3.2 should make it a lot more fun, but in the states who knows when this engine will arrive, there are also rumors of a W8 jetta and golf so that should turn the GTI into a real sports car matching M3 preformance.<P>One thing I'm glad is that the people on this forum are just as great than the guys at Vwvortex.<P>What have you guys had trouble with? <P>PS: The 5 speed auto does make a big diference since I drove the car last year and not like it as much.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have had some minor problems with headlight bulbs (which should be resolved with a recall soon, I hope) and Check Engine Lights, which was not caused by a loose gas cap. There was also a problem with the horn not working because of a bad fit on the steering wheel assembly.<P>I was thinking about the the T-4 issue and other people hoping that this variant will come to the US. I think that it won't. Volvo would be crazy to bring in a more expensive S40 variant as the S40 with sunroof and leather is already too closely priced to the base S60. Too many choices for a consumer is not a good thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Huh, you had a steering wheel problem too, eh?<P>Our horn was not working, and after two visits they decided to just replace the steering wheel. They put the wrong wheel on! We had a nice fat sport steering wheel, and they put on this skinny stock wheel. Man, I am so pissed, and they haven't called me back in weeks about the replacement wheel.<P>This *may* be my last Volvo. For all the problems my VWs have given me over the years, I have never had a service department try so hard to please me, and yet fail at every occurrence. Heck, they once stranded me without a loaner after I confirmed *that morning* they they had one for me. Argh!

·
Registered
339 Posts
to put it in plain english, the steering wheel part that you press down on for the horn was not mounted properly. they removed it and the airbag assembly and reinstalled it. now it works. sorry to hear about the problem with your car getting the wrong steering wheel. i hope that you are correcting their oversight. not getting a loaner is a killer too. most likely they gave it away to someone who forgot to request one and made a big stink when they arrived for their appointment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts