SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently, the driving mode resets every time you turn off the car. Is there any way to save it??? Anyone have any luck creating a driver profile and saving it ?

·
Registered
7,371 Posts
Nope. It is not supported.
If you want to ask why, it is EPA certification related.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nope. It is not supported.
If you want to ask why, it is EPA certification related.
That has not been my experience with the driver profile. I set up my profile last month when I got the car, using the center display, and chose all Dynamic in "Settings, My Car, Individual DriveMode." I put a check in the box at the top right side of the screen, which is supposed to save the profile. I drove for about an hour yesterday afternoon with those settings in place. I just went out to the car and checked what profile would show today. I took my key with me, and the same profile that I had entered in initially was still there. From what I read in the owner's manual the drive mode settings for a profile will be stored in the active driver profile and be available if you have same key that was used for making the initial settings.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
That has not been my experience with the driver profile. I set up my profile when I first got the car in the center display for all Dynamic in "Settings, My Car, Individual DriveMode." I put a check in the box at the top right side of the screen, which is supposed to save the profile. I drove for about an hour yesterday afternoon with those settings in place. I just went out to the car and checked what profile would show today. I took my key with me, and the same profile that I had entered in initially was still there. From what I read in the owner's manual the drive mode settings for a profile will be stored in the active driver profile and be available if you have same key that was used for making the initial settings.
The point is that you still have to select individual mode, it doesnt automatically start in the individual mode. Or maybe Im misunderstanding the question?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, here's what happens with my car. I saved my individual profile as I said above. When I get into the car to start it, the center display recognizes the key and turns on. It shows "Profile 1" at the top of the screen. When I start the car and check the driver profile under "Settings" - "Individual drive mode," it brings up the drive mode (all Dynamic) that I inputed originally. So, my car does start in individual mode each time.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Well, here's what happens with my car. I saved my individual profile as I said above. When I get into the car to start it, the center display recognizes the key and turns on. It shows "Profile 1" at the top of the screen. When I start the car and check the driver profile under "Settings" - "Individual drive mode," it brings up the drive mode (all Dynamic) that I inputed originally. So, my car does start in individual mode each time.
I think you’ll notice that your car is still starting in comfort mode. If/when you select individual drive mode with the dial you will see on your dashboard it will now say “Individual” where before it said nothing. You’ll also notice the change in gear shifting dynamics.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am not seeing nor experiencing what you are describing. The only dials I have on my dashboard are the speedometer and tachometer. I use the center console for the information about the drive mode. When I get into the car, and before starting the car, as well as after starting it, under the settings on the console it shows my individual drive mode to be all Dynamic. When I start to drive I know it is in Dynamic by how it accelerates and shifts.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I am not seeing nor experiencing what you are describing. The only dials I have on my dashboard are the speedometer and tachometer. I use the center console for the information about the drive mode. When I get into the car, and before starting the car, as well as after starting it, under the settings on the console it shows my individual drive mode to be all Dynamic. When I start to drive I know it is in Dynamic by how it accelerates and shifts.
Here are before and after pictures of what occurs in my car. The car starts in comfort mode and then, only after I switch to individual mode does it change. All of my other settings, mirror, seats, Sensus preferences, A/C etc are tied to my key.....Im pretty confident as this has been an issue on the other owner threads for a long time.

My XC90:

My S60:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm also in Durham- Don't see too many Volvo sedans around here. This is a random question - I really want to try this but i set up all my options and preferences under "guest" profile. Is there any way to transfer my guest profile to Profile 1 ? I cant seem to do it.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I'm also in Durham- Don't see too many Volvo sedans around here. This is a random question - I really want to try this but i set up all my options and preferences under "guest" profile. Is there any way to transfer my guest profile to Profile 1 ? I cant seem to do it.
I dont think a guest profile can be exported to a primary profile. Remember to save your profile to a key, and you can name it whatever you want.

I love that I don’t see too many Volvo S60 yet, but you’ll notice that the local dealer has a lot of inventory. Also, Johnson is adding a dealership next to their Lexus dealership on Hope valley and I-40......so enjoy the exclusivity, its not going to last!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So while the Individual mode you can edit will save all your inputs for each option, the car does reset back to comfort each time.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The car starts in your key’s profile every time and in comfort mode. At that point you can select individual driving mode where you can have the dynamic characteristics selected....

·
Registered
7,371 Posts
The easiest way to check is, after start car, press the scroller next to the shifting stick, just press only, not scroll it, then the driving mode list will be displayed on Sensus screen and the current mode is highlighted.

It would surprise me if it is not comfort mode every time after car is started.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,371 Posts
I don't remember but think when you create your profile, maybe it will start with current settings. Well, if not so, just adjust your settings again after profile is created.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't remember but think when you create your profile, maybe it will start with current settings. Well, if not so, just adjust your settings again after profile is created.

I cannot get it to save the preferred driving mode. After shutoff, it always starts with comfort.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
You cannot save a driving mode to a profile.
Car always starts in Comfort!!!
Please stop this madness!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Its hard to find info, but for EPA economy ratings the mfr self certifies, and for drive modes it is expected that the mfr uses the drive mode the "typical driver" would use. But its a bit of a grey area and the mfr has to be able to make a reasonable argument that the mode they tested is the typical one. (source: https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15388892/the-truth-about-epa-city-highway-mpg-estimates/)

So Volvo likely makes the car default to "Normal" with the stop/start enabled so they can easily support testing the EPA MPG in that mode as most people wouldn't change the default mode every time they drive. They also steer clear of risk of future EPA fines this way. That does free them up to make dynamic mode less efficient in economy for an improvement in drivability, so there is that. It also means the rated MPG likely doesn't take into account the eco mode features.

I'm getting used to setting the drive mode every time I start up. I don't care for normal, I am finding eco coast is a bit of a fun game. And the lazy throttle in eco makes it easy to be smooth. I made my custom driver profile from Eco but I changed the climate mode to normal, and the steering to sport. There wasn't anything to change about dynamic mode its great the way it is. So I'm either Jekyll or Hyde! Its working out so far but I've only filled up once. First tank was 25.2 MPG in my T6.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You cannot save a driving mode to a profile.
Car always starts in Comfort!!!
Please stop this madness!
Yeah, and you know that this drives me nuts, as I've told you, but it is what it is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts