SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya all.. the transmission on my 96 850 Turbo died at 96k
I'm shopping around online and found that the 96 Turbo and (up to 2000) V70 use the same AW42 transmission.. I found a better deal on a 66k transmission from a 1998 V70 2.3L Turbo (only $550) than on a 79k transmission from a 96 850 Turbo ($600), plus it's closer and easier to pick up..

Will this work? I don't wanna have to return it.. please let me know, thanks

· Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: Will an auto trans from a '98 V70 2.3L fit in my 96 850 Turbo? (deronde)

Physically it should fit.
I don't know if the TCM (trans computer) will commicate with it

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Will an auto trans from a '98 V70 2.3L fit in my 96 850 Turbo? (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
Physically it should fit.
I don't know if the TCM (trans computer) will commicate with it

If not, could i just take the old TCM and put it on the new trans?

· Registered
63,013 Posts

Quote, originally posted by deronde »

If not, could i just take the old TCM and put it on the new trans?
I don't think so. A 96 is an OBD2 car, a 95 is usually a 1, different electronics

· Registered
63,013 Posts

Mistook the years, sorry
I'm not the electrical expert but that may work, your old TCM may work with that trans and that would be the better way to go

· Registered
1,438 Posts
You could always swap to a manual box

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Will an auto trans from a '98 V70 2.3L fit in my 96 850 Turbo? (TurboMoose)

Quote, originally posted by TurboMoose »
Im just currious... what caused your tranny to die, if you know. What did it do? Thanks for the info
What caused my tranny to die? Well, everything seemed fine, then one day after not driving for a couple days I took it out and noticed that it was revving a whole bunch and I was getting barely any power. I checked the engine and it seemed fine, then I pulled into someone's driveway to turn around and discovered when I put it into reverse the engine would rev but it wouldn't go anywhere. The upshift up arrow started blinking. When trying to push it in neutral I discovered it was stuck in drive and wouldn't budge.. when the tow truck came there were big tracks where the wheels were drug because they wouldn't go in reverse worth a damn.. thank god it was a flatbed

Anyway.. I had the mechanic check the PNP switch as it's a common issue with our cars, but it was the tranny.. got a used one over a rebuilt one for cost issues mainly.

And for the record, the V70 Turbo transmission will NOT work on a '96 850 Turbo.. it'll bolt up fine, but the Torque converter is 1 inch too big on the V70. I'm no transmission expert, but my trans guy said there's no way it'll work, so I had to return it and get an original spec transmission

· Registered
89 Posts

Where did you get your new trans from, Mine is at 190k and blowing fluid out the bottom, slipping in turns.
who is a good salvage/ rebuilder for these cars.
does anyone do brand new ones?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Will an auto trans from a '98 V70 2.3L fit in my 96 850 Turbo? (realsicksince88)

ebay has some, but ya never know and shipping is horrendous.

What I did was shopped on http://www.car-parts.com .. it's got hundreds of salvage yards inventoried, and you can search by mileage and distance. Don't let price be a factor because some salvage yards charge more than others for no reason at all. Look mainly at mileage and distance from you. One I reccommend is LKQ(http://www.lkqcorp.com), they've got a lot of sites nationwide and can freight a transmission from one of their sister sites for next to nothing. Their parts come with 6-month parts warranty, or if a shop buys it they can offer up to 2 year parts AND labor for about $150 more.. which is a steal IMHO..

Got myself a 96 Volvo 850 trans with 79k on it ifor $600, drove 200 miles to pick it up.

Rebuilt ones.. i dunno. It's gonna run you $1600+ parts and that's out of my price range

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.