SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

To make a long story short I have a 13g turbo on a bench that I've got mostly taken apart and preparing to rebuild. Before now I didn't know the 13g existed and just assumed it was a 15g till I saw that it was labeled a 13g. So here's my problem, I have a 95 850 T5 which has the stock turbo which would mean it has a 15g. From what I've been reading the 13g is smaller and is lower pressure which in turn means it spools quicker but produces less boost overall. I don't really care if my car makes less top end power so I guess my real concerns are: Will 13g damage the 2.3 motor since it wasn't designed for a turbo that spools at lower revs? Will the ecu work fine with the 13g? Will the power loss be that drastic (20-30hp loss)? Lastly, from what I understand, the 13g should bolt up fine. Will the coolant or oil lines be in a different place? Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
17,682 Posts
Bolt in, will make less power. Spoil is controlled by waste gate and turbine side which is the same as 15g.

Why not just get a new 15g CHRA?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mainly because I have a perfectly good 13g just laying around. I'm not really looking to buy a new turbo at this point, they're kind of expensive. Is pulling a turbo from the junkyard a bad idea? There is a 98 v70 2.3 at the pull a part near me which should have the 16t.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'll have a used 15g that I could sell you *hopefully* pulled by the end of the weekend if you want to pick it up. The 16t should work without a tune as well, 15g & 16t are only marginally different

There is a 98 v70 2.3 at the pull a part near me which should have the 16t.
If it's a T5 it'll have a 16t, I'm assuming it is with the 2.3 but I'm not totally sure on that

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Yes, make sure its a straight flange exhaust housing and not an angle flange if you want to use the same downpipe as you have now.

·
Registered
16,998 Posts
just get a new 15G CHRA they're cheap

·
Registered
17,682 Posts
Actually hold up everyone we all missed this being a 95 car that will have a 15c conical flange turbine housing and downpipe.

13g still ok to use. 15g better as it’s the same core as the 15c. If a strait or angle flange housing and downpipe can be acquired that would be a worth upgrade.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I got a 16t out of a 98 S70. Can I use the turbine housing off my 95 on the 16t or should I just buy a new downpipe?

·
Registered
16,998 Posts
So I got a 16t out of a 98 S70. Can I use the turbine housing off my 95 on the 16t or should I just buy a new downpipe?
your existing exhaust housing will fit that turbo unless you are trying to upgrade (recommended)

i'd still grab a new CHRA while you're at it

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies! Right now though Im a little confused so I need some help understanding this and I'll also go ahead and lay out where I am atm.

I have a 95 850 T5 that I assume has a 15g turbo on it. I went to the junkyard and got a 16t out of a 98 S70 along with the TD04H rebuild kit and a couple of other gaskets and seals for the drain pipes and what not.

What I understood was that the 16t would bolt up in place of a 15g without changing anything else. After reading what ScottishBricks said I would assume I have to get a new downpipe if I wanted to use the turbine housing that I got with the 16t.

I guess this is where I get confused. JaredR, you said the turbine housing off the turbo that's on my car right now (a 15g or 15c with the different flange and downpipe) would bolt up to the 16t unless I plan on upgrading it.

Im not sure what you mean when you say unless I plan on upgrading it. Upgrading the downpipe, or the turbo, or the turbine housing?

Thanks again for all the help, guys!

·
Registered
16,998 Posts
the exhaust housing needs to match the downpipe, compressor housing needs to match the turbo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts