SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 S60R has about 123K miles. The transmission has been starting to go, rough downshifts, slipping etc. I located a used transmission from a 2004 S60R with 64K miles. It finally arrived and my mechanic stated that the connections are different, 3 connections vs 4 or vice versa.

Before I ordered it my mechanic told me an 2004 and 2005 should be the same. He was in a rush on the phone when I asked about this and I should have double checked.

1. Just wondering if anyone can verify to me that a 2004 S60R GT Automatic Transmission has different connections than a 2005?

Thanks in advance.

Nathan

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Both are 5 speed auto transmissions IE AW55-51SN.

A 06+ will be a 6 speed auto.

I'm in the same boat as you. My transmission has been acting up also.

Are you sure it came from an R? The base model S60 came with a AW55-50 auto transmission which will mount different if at all since it is a FWD and not an AWD

Did he check out the valvebody and the solenoids before recommending a full transmission replacement?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I was not aware of any differences between the Volvo spec aisin aw55 transmissions, but have you tried a software update or transmission flush before replacing the whole transmission? Also are either you tuned with the torque limiter removed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't think there was a difference also. Software is updated. Since I have not had a transmission flush before, my mechanic told me not to do it. He stated that it would make it worse. He has done all the work on my car before and been spot on. He works for Volvo and does work on the side. I will ask about other possibilites with the Tranny. I was just trying to verify if the tranny I was sent may not be from an R car.

I was not aware of any differences between the Volvo spec aisin aw55 transmissions, but have you tried a software update or transmission flush before replacing the whole transmission? Also are either you tuned with the torque limiter removed?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
There should be a serial plate stating if its a AW55-51SN right on the transmission in plain sight. If it doesn't have the plate or says something else you got the wrong transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The transmission plating states Aisin AW Co., LTD with 55-51SN. I checked on ebay and saw another 2004 Tranny with the same numbers listed except for the serial number of course. I guess the connections are different from 2004-2005. I can't return it since it was actually from an R. If any one is looking for 2004 Tranny from S60R let me know. Located in Arizona. Thanks.

I am probably going to purchase a refurbished one from the dealer, I love the way my car drives, minus the transmission.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The transmission plating states Aisin AW Co., LTD with 55-51SN. I checked on ebay and saw another 2004 Tranny with the same numbers listed except for the serial number of course. I guess the connections are different from 2004-2005. I can't return it since it was actually from an R. If any one is looking for 2004 Tranny from S60R let me know. Located in Arizona. Thanks.

I am probably going to purchase a refurbished one from the dealer, I love the way my car drives, minus the transmission.

Seriously though I would try flush before swapping out a whole transmission. If you read around there are quiet a few s60s that had shifting issues at similar mileage and it fixed their issues. Use Toyota TIV or the Motorcraft equivalent to the Volvo fluid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess a $100 for the fluid and the flush is worth a try vs. swapping the tranny.

Seriously though I would try flush before swapping out a whole transmission. If you read around there are quiet a few s60s that had shifting issues at similar mileage and it fixed their issues. Use Toyota TIV or the Motorcraft equivalent to the Volvo fluid.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Since it hasn't been flushed, ever I would try that route along with replacing the solenoids on the valvebody. They are probably all gunked up from never having fresh fluid. The updated Rostra solenoid kit can be bought on ebay for about $300.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Also, is the connection different to the engine or the Angle Gear different?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Has the tech looked at the new gearbox?
The wiring and some external sensors have been changed on other Volvo gearboxes before. These things can be swapped on those and I can't imagine that they would make any great changes since the gearbox was only to be used for a few years more. There are network changes between 2004 and 2005 but that was not a hardware change to the gearbox, only changes to the TCM and other controllers

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My 2005 S60R has about 123K miles. The transmission has been starting to go, rough downshifts, slipping etc. I located a used transmission from a 2004 S60R with 64K miles. It finally arrived and my mechanic stated that the connections are different, 3 connections vs 4 or vice versa.

Before I ordered it my mechanic told me an 2004 and 2005 should be the same. He was in a rush on the phone when I asked about this and I should have double checked.

1. Just wondering if anyone can verify to me that a 2004 S60R GT Automatic Transmission has different connections than a 2005?

Thanks in advance.

Nathan
It's called an automatic, not a "GT". Stop.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
What's wrong with you?
He's just in a pissy mood cause he waited till the last minute to get his halloween costume only to realize they are all out of "$lutty" kitten outfits :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would question why your mechanic says not to flush your trans. If its shifting so badly that you are going to have to replace it there is no downside at all in flushing it. May or may not fix it but if your having shifting issues and the fluid looks bad the absolute first thing to do is flush it. No questions asked.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts