SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New user here with a recently purchased 2010 V70 R-Design. It came with 18" Cratus wheels and tramlines a bit on our rutted roads here in Portland. Just enough to be annoying, espec under acceleration. I am thinking a 17" wheel and some 225/50-17 would help that even though they won't look or handle as nice....

Does anyone know if the Balder or other stock 17" rim off a late model V70/S60 etc will clear the brakes on this car? Eyeballing it tells me they probably will but thought I should check with the experts.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I took another look and there appears to be plenty of room for the 17 to clear the caliper.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I would try and find a set of non-RD V70 wheels from the P3s.

·
Registered
30 Posts
New user here with a recently purchased 2010 V70 R-Design. It came with 18" Cratus wheels and tramlines a bit on our rutted roads here in Portland. Just enough to be annoying, espec under acceleration. I am thinking a 17" wheel and some 225/50-17 would help that even though they won't look or handle as nice....
If you go with the 17" rims you can easily fit 225..245/50/17 on those
If you choose to stay with 18" you can upgrade to 225..245/45/18

I'm running my S80 with 245/45/18. Enkei Lusso rims.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up buying a set of 17" Balder rims and having 225/50-17 Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires mounted. It smoothed out the ride and tamed the tramlining on rutted roads very nicely. It is a bit softer handling now but overall I'm quite pleased.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Photos?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here is a lousy phone pic from my Droid that I snapped when I was up in the Cascades last weekend:

V70 with 17" Balder wheels

Ok, I'll grant you this - it doesn't look as nice as the 18's... but it sure drives nice. I really love this car. I think even the base V70 should get this suspension - it works really well with the 17" wheels/tires. Can't imagine anything softer.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Here is a lousy phone pic from my Droid that I snapped when I was up in the Cascades last weekend:

V70 with 17" Balder wheels

Ok, I'll grant you this - it doesn't look as nice as the 18's... but it sure drives nice. I really love this car. I think even the base V70 should get this suspension - it works really well with the 17" wheels/tires. Can't imagine anything softer.
Looks good. Similar look to the Cratus wheels, look a little more tucked under the fender, but still sharp looking. And nice backdrop! Never been to Washington/Oregon, but hopefully someday.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, yes they are similar looking wheels but as you say - more tucked in.

Central Oregon and the Cascades in general are stunning in the summertime - I go to Bend a lot, which is at 3600' elev and is a recreational paradise - huge mountain and road biking opportunities, camping, kayaking on rivers (including the Deschutes, which runs right through town) and also a big winter skiing area. And people wonder why I bought a wagon....

·
Registered
184 Posts
I own the same color V70 RD. I also have the same annoying tramlining and a bit of transient vibration at different speeds.

Another Anon: What's the effect of going to 245/45/18?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I own the same color V70 RD. I also have the same annoying tramlining and a bit of transient vibration at different speeds.

Another Anon: What's the effect of going to 245/45/18?
In my opinion that won't help at all. You have to reduce width and sidewall stiffness to reduce the tramlining. Besides a 245/45 will be too tall. I spent a lot of time comparing profiles, widths, etc and the 225/50-17 is the only viable option. Approx 1" narrower, and 1/2" taller sidewall - makes all the difference for the tramlining. Still looks and handles pretty good and stock size option retains speedo accuracy. Just my opinion though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts