SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Local guy has 17" rims for sale. I need winter tires. Will they clear the brakes on a 07 V8?

Apologies. Posted from phone, and phone converted rims to shes. I cant delete and start over.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Yes, 17" will fit. According to Volvo though, some 17" wheels such as canicula and magni (I think) have a "Does not fit the V8" text added on their page if you browse their accessories online. But if you can fit them beforehand go for it (or if someone else knows what the deal is, why some 17" wheels fit and why some don't and could chip in. Same measurements too, some 17x7" fit and some didn't. Samt offset etc).

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
MarkoD: what rims are you running? Looks interesting.

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
For 17" wheels Volvo lists only some of the OEM 17" to fit over V8 (336mm) brakes. Don't know why...
Some are probably too narrow to clear the caliper?

Any 17x8 wheel should fit. Pegs certainly fit fine.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I fixed the thread title. Sorry about the delay! I have 17's on my V8 for the winter as of now and they fit fine, but are VERY close to the calipers as another poster noted above.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks for fixing the title.

I put the C70 17s on today. No issues.

As an aside, interesting pricing at discount tire. The 245 cheapie champiro gt winter was 87 on line 93 in the store. the narrower 235 is something like 122 a tire. I bought the wider tire, and without blinking they rang them up at 87. they come in Tuesday.

More important, since we bitch when something goes wrong, here is a shout out to something going right. Last January on one of the single digit (F) nights I got a blow out in my Astra on one of my Michelin xIce tires. I pulled into the nearest parking lot, under a light. wearing a suit in the lot of an adult store I changed the tire. The spare was low, and the compressor that is usually in the hatch was removed a few days earlier when the little princess emptied the car after a day of skiing.

I went to discount tire the next morning and the kid said I was S.O.L. because I didn't buy the warranty. I put the two cheapie winters on that they had in stock and went on my way. last week when looking for winter tires for the S80 I noticed that discount tire's site mentions a free road hazard warranty. I sent an email Wednesday evening asking why a blowout on a highway is not from a road hazard, and Thursday at 9:30 I got a phone call. I stopped in early Friday, and the manager explained that I was S.O.L. because we no longer had the tire. Not so I said. I kept the mate in case one of the other Xice tires blew.

I stopped in Saturday with the good mate, he measured the tire, and $56 was applied to my S80 tire order. Cant ask for much more.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Thanks for fixing the title.

I put the C70 17s on today. No issues.

As an aside, interesting pricing at discount tire. The 245 chapie chamipro gt winter was 87 on line 93 in the store. the narrower 235 is something like 122 a tire. I bought the wider tire, and without blinking they rang them up at 87. they come in Tuesday.

More important, since we bitch when something goes wrong, here is a shout out to something going right. Last January on one of the single digit (F) nights I got a blow out in my Astra on one of my Michelin xIce tires. I pulled into the nearest parking lot, under a light. wearing a suit in the lot of an adult store I changed the tire. The spare was low, and the compressor that is usually in the hatch was removed a few days earlier when the little princess emptied the car after a day of skiing.

I went to discount tire the next morning and the kid said I was S.O.L. because I didn't buy the warranty. I put the two cheapie winters on that they had in stock and went on my way. last week when looking for winter tires for the S80 I noticed that discount tire's site mentions a free road hazard warranty. I sent an email Wednesday evening asking why a blowout on a highway is not from a road hazard, and Thursday at 9:30 I got a phone call. I stopped in early Friday, and the manager explained that I was S.O.L. because we no longer had the tire. Not so I said. I kept the mate in case one of the other Xice tires blew.

I stopped in Saturday with the good mate, he measured the tire, and $56 was applied to my S80 tire order. Cant ask for much more.
I'm actually a little peeved by this post. I had two blowouts 2 winters ago while on a business trip to Detroit. I was able to limp the car to a discount tire on one of the bad tires, and the donut. Prior to the trip, I had just installed 4 new Pirelli tires. Because discount tire didn't have the exact same model of tire in stock, they flat out insisted that I buy four new tires or they wouldn't sell me any. After hearing that you were allowed to buy two tires from them, I can't help but think they did it on purpose since they knew I'd be stranded if I didn't buy the tires. Of course, the only tires they had in my size (aside from chinese crap) were $250 a piece michelin pilots. The whole thing rubbed me the wrong way, and now hearing that they allowed you to buy two tires, I'm even more irritated. I figured it was just company policy about the four tires thing, but it seems it isn't.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm actually a little peeved by this post. I had two blowouts 2 winters ago while on a business trip to Detroit. I was able to limp the car to a discount tire on one of the bad tires, and the donut. Prior to the trip, I had just installed 4 new Pirelli tires. Because discount tire didn't have the exact same model of tire in stock, they flat out insisted that I buy four new tires or they wouldn't sell me any. After hearing that you were allowed to buy two tires from them, I can't help but think they did it on purpose since they knew I'd be stranded if I didn't buy the tires. Of course, the only tires they had in my size (aside from chinese crap) were $250 a piece michelin pilots. The whole thing rubbed me the wrong way, and now hearing that they allowed you to buy two tires, I'm even more irritated. I figured it was just company policy about the four tires thing, but it seems it isn't.
my car is FWD and the Michelins had plenty of life. I would write them and see what happens. I was peeved that they said I was SOL when I bought the tires from them and they had all the records. I was so peeved that I put the cheap Indonesian junk on. I would have bought two Michelins if they gave me the credit then.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
my car is FWD and the Michelins had plenty of life. I would write them and see what happens. I was peeved that they said I was SOL when I bought the tires from them and they had all the records. I was so peeved that I put the cheap Indonesian junk on. I would have bought two Michelins if they gave me the credit then.
I saw that you have an XC90 awd and an S80 V8, so I figured it related to one of those two cars since they're both all wheel drive. Which car do you have that's fwd?

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Here are the 17's I'm running this winter. They're the wheels which came on the standard 3.2 S80 which are called "Regor." The 07 and 08 non-sport V8s come from the factory with 17s called "Meissa."

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I saw that you have an XC90 awd and an S80 V8, so I figured it related to one of those two cars since they're both all wheel drive. Which car do you have that's fwd?
I have an Opel/Saturn Astra. That's the car the got the blowout. The Astra is an 08 I bought in 09 new that now has 55k. I switch jobs next week and my commute goes from 8 miles each way to 53 each way, almost all highway/county road. The Astra was fine for me (I also have the M Roadster and a track (DE) car) since we had the XC90. After the E39 that literally fell into my lap (bought it on a whim from a friend about to trade it in) was creamed in late September, she who must be obeyed decided that our daughter is now too tall (taller than mommy!) to keep climbing into the back of my two door, and with her car's miles over 120k (yes brand new for you) she decided we "need" a lower mileage sedan that isn't a manual. Hence the S80 V8 with 59k mi.

Yesterday morning when I got to work and my reserved spot in the indoor lot I took this picture of my S80 with the winter wheels and new snow tires I had mounted just hours before the snow fell. 245s on 7.5" rims. A little tight but the 245s were $35 a tire less than the identical tire in 235. I have a feeling these cheapie discount tire tires run on the thin side because they seem to fit better on the 7.5 rims than the 245 R compound Kuhmos I have for the track on 7.5 rims.

Here is a link to the picture.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=TFIzTkFid1M0ZW1YMVJ3aHo3cjVHT0xlTm1uTi1n

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
Here are the 17's I'm running this winter. They're the wheels which came on the standard 3.2 S80 which are called "Regor." The 07 and 08 non-sport V8s come from the factory with 17s called "Meissa."

What size tires did you use for this setup?
Is it something that matches your summer setup in size? (You upsized to 245/45/18 like I did, right?)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts