SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an ad for the XC60 with Wifi hot spot available. Is that available on the XC90 now as well to create a hot spot for laptop, tablet, etc? If so, how to do that?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I saw an ad for the XC60 with Wifi hot spot available. Is that available on the XC90 now as well to create a hot spot for laptop, tablet, etc? If so, how to do that?
As shown above. You can connect up to 8 devices although 3-4 devices, at a time, is best for optimum performance.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
So it is tethering with my own cell phone connection, and not through the vehicle's modem?
What is shown above is how to use you vehicle's WiFi as a hotspot.

Does that answer your question or are you wondering how to activate your car's modem in order to have Internet connectivity?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just confused as the instructions state "The network service provider (the SIM card) must support tethering." So this service is provided by Sensus I presume, and after the 6 month free trial, it is extra cost? Would I be able to use my cell phone to provide the internet connection to the car for free?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
In some markets, owners can choose what service provider they use to connect the vehicles modem, so it's possible to get one which does not support tethering. In the US we are locked into AT&T for better or worse, so it does support tethering. That bit in the manual is redundant in the US.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
I was just confused as the instructions state "The network service provider (the SIM card) must support tethering." So this service is provided by Sensus I presume, and after the 6 month free trial, it is extra cost? Would I be able to use my cell phone to provide the internet connection to the car for free?
Think of it this way - your car has its own 3G+WiFi radio. You can use that from the devices in your car. In such cases, it will use the car's 3G connection. So will the rest of the network-attached features of the car.

BUT

You can bypass that if you want and just use your phone.
1) The phone (esp. a nice 4G phone, for example) can provide the WiFi connection for you passengers. This has nothing to do with the car. You can do this in any car - now - if you phone and carrier support it. I do it all the time now in my other vehicles. Turn on the hotspot on the phone and consider plugging it into power so you don't suck it dry.
2) You can also configure the car to "ignore" its own internal 3G connection and use your phone for some functions instead, so that Sensus will use your phone to perform its internet-connected functions rather than the internal 3G connection.

·
Registered
673 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
What would be lost in terms of functionality if the data plan gets cancelled in the future and I don't want to pay? Can the car connect to wifi or how does it connect to internet for necessary operations if there's no data plan?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice! Hope they are slow to come up with a plan.
Hi,

I have an Iphone 6 which is 4G LTE through Sprint. Sprint like other carriers do not offer free tethering, and is extra charge to create wi-fi hotspot. There are some apps that supposedly can bypass that, and create a hot spot. Is it possible to bypass the car's modem, and use my phone's 4G connection, and basically use the car's Sensus system as a router to create the hot spot?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The XC90 has a wireless telco connection (modem) and uses that for Internet connectivity for various things.

You can make your XC90 into a wireless router (both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands) - you can connect your WiFi devices to the car and then to the Internet via the car's modem. My experience with this is somewhat lackluster - in the US with an AT&T 3G connection ... bandwidth is limited.

You can also tell the car to connect to a wireless access point. To wit: I setup the car to connect to my home WiFi network (when it is parked in the garage). This may be a good idea for if/when we get charged for data on the car's integral modem.

If you have a mobile device (phone, MiFi, etc.) that broadcasts a WiFi SSID you can get your car to connect to that as well. Whereas a MiFi type device would be design to provide that kind of connectivity - many wireless providers will only enable Internet sharing or tethering for an additional charge.

What you've asked - if I understand it correctly - doesn't make sense though: you wan to connect your car to the iPhone 6 LTE connection (which means you have to have the Internet sharing enabled and turned on in the phone) ... and then have the car (with that LTE Internet bandwidth) also be a wireless access point? I can try it - but it would make a lot more sense to have other devices connect directly to your LTE iPhone ... than have them connect to the car which in turn connects to your iPhone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are apps such as PDAnet which enable people to tether for free without having to pay extra charge to the carrier. My question is can we just connect our phone to the car, and basically have the car use the phone's internet connection without paying extra to the carrier for it. Then, use the car as a router for other devices.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Hi,

I have an Iphone 6 which is 4G LTE through Sprint. Sprint like other carriers do not offer free tethering, and is extra charge to create wi-fi hotspot. There are some apps that supposedly can bypass that, and create a hot spot. Is it possible to bypass the car's modem, and use my phone's 4G connection, and basically use the car's Sensus system as a router to create the hot spot?
If your service provider chooses not to allow tethering - you lack the basic functionality needed to do what you want. If you want to risk jailbreaking your phone and subverting your carrier, that's your decision.
I use T-Mobile and tethering is included in the basic service plans.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
There are apps such as PDAnet which enable people to tether for free without having to pay extra charge to the carrier. My question is can we just connect our phone to the car, and basically have the car use the phone's internet connection without paying extra to the carrier for it.
Maybe. If your phone is an Android device you may be able to connect it to the USB connection - in effect, a hard wired Internet connection. Otherwise the car would have to connect to the phone via WiFi - and the mobile device would have to support that (either natively, through a jailbreak or third party app).

Then, use the car as a router for other devices.
That would only make sense if you hard wired (USB) your mobile device's Internet connectivity to the car. If you are connecting the car to the mobile device via WiFi ... you would just connect other devices to your mobile device as well. (No need to add the car into the equation.)

Over the next couple of days if I have some free time I'll gather the pieces together to see if in fact the car will allow this:

{internet} -- {mobile device} -- {car} -- {other devices}

1 - 18 of 18 Posts