SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, did a quick search... yielded no results. Here's what Household 6 called about this AM:

"...I put the car in reverse and it wouldn't move. I had to really give it some gas to get it out of the garage. WTF. I thought I told you this happened before. What to I do? Oh, I guess you weren't listening the first time I told you about this, huh? I called Dick {our Volvo Serivce Manager} and he asked to bring the car in..."

Here's the car:

2005 V70R 6MT with about 8,000 miles - 7,500 serivce about a week ago - oh, and a full buff - if you read that post about the courtesy wash..aaaahhh.

Okay, so I don't remember her telling me about it, but what do you guys think? Stuck parking brake? Known issue?

Thanks for your time and assistance, yet again.

Brian

·
Registered
924 Posts
Re: Wife said today the car wouldn't back up - as if brakes were frozen...help (05_V70R)

When my car was new the parking brake would lock up on occasion, and make a pretty noticable "clunk" when the car finally overpowered the brake from rest. I can't recall if it was ever addressed by the dealer but it hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Re: Wife said today the car wouldn't back up - as if brakes were frozen...help (05_V70R)

If the car has sat/been driven in the rain for a spell and is parked with the hand brake on (even after pulling it in to the garage out of the rain), the parking brake sometimes sticks and requires a forceful grunt of power to break it free.

This has happend to me on other cars, so I don't think it's unique to the R. After rainy drive, I usually park my car in the garage with a wheel chock, and leave the parking brake disengaged.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts

Wet calipers, parked for a while...won't move. Happens to a lot of cars. Most times it will move with a little nudge. For the first time ever, I actually had to give it some gas to get the car to move out of my garage last weekend.

-Eric

·
Registered
1,814 Posts

Just roll forward a fraction of an inch and it should disengage.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Re: Wife said today the car wouldn't back up - as if brakes were frozen...help (icebiker)

I haven't had my brake seize up on my like these posts describe, but is it normal to hear a groaning/creaking sound after engaging the hand brake and taking your foot off of the brake pedal? My car does this every time and has since new.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts

yea.. you would have to break it loose after car sits idle for a while..... especially after damp/rainy days.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

E brake is probably stuck, all the above advice is correct

·
Registered
27 Posts
it has happened to me as well a number of times, although once I couldn't move the car at all - even after applying lots of gas in reverse and first gear. I had to have a Volvo mechanic through the roadside assistance program come out to my house to get it moving again. The problem definitely relates to the parking brake getting stuck after rain.

·
Registered
418 Posts

Last weekend I tried to back my car out of the garage, and it wouldn't budge! Fortunately, I had read this thread right before it happened, so I knew the cause. BUT, I had to give it a lot of gas and almost pop the clutch 3 times to get the rear parking brakes to break free. For a moment, I didn't think I would be able to get my car out of the garage. Like I usually do, I had washed my car right before I parked it. To add to the problem, I parked on my 4-post lift, with the front tires up against the tire stops, so I couldn't go forward either. From now on, after I wash the car, I'll take it for a spin around the block before I park it.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Wife said today the car wouldn't back up - as if brakes were frozen...help (MAC1LSR)

NEVER, unless absolutely necessary, park a car in your own garage with the E Brake on

·
Registered
418 Posts
Re: Wife said today the car wouldn't back up - as if brakes were frozen...help (JRL)

Don't worry, I've learned my lesson.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Wife said today the car wouldn't back up - as if brakes were frozen...help (MAC1LSR)

Quote, originally posted by MAC1LSR »
From now on, after I wash the car, I'll take it for a spin around the block before I park it.

Unless I am waxing, that's what I do. No problems so far.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Re: Wife said today the car wouldn't back up - as if brakes were frozen...help (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
NEVER, unless absolutely necessary, park a car in your own garage with the E Brake on

Really? JRL: Can you please explain why and suggest how you would park your MT R in your garage and/or elsewhere?

Myabe I need to break out the owners manual but I've always parked my MT Volvo's using the E-brake AND MT in Reverse (andy any MT car I've owned weather in my garage or elsewhere).

Thanks,
LTA

·
Registered
51 Posts

this is the first time i've heard not to park your car in your garage w/the e-brake on. Are we talking about for long periods of time or overnight?

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Re: Wife said today the car wouldn't back up - as if brakes were frozen...help (Thesaurrex)

Don't worry about it. Use your ebrake as you would in any car.

The dangers of not using it are FAR worse than any damage (if any) that is done when it sticks.

Basically, if you allow your car to sit for an extended period of time (overnight) immediately after soaking the rotors (after washing the car and not driving it, driving through snow, etc.), there's a chance the ebrake will stick when you try to move it the next day. It's no big deal and happens with many cars.

-Eric

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
Re: Wife said today the car wouldn't back up - as if brakes were frozen...help (LTA)

I just leave the car in first if parking on level ground. I rarely use the e-brake- overkill for where I live and the e-brake almost always sticks- just a little but still sticks, from surface rust, cold weather, etc.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
JRL - I'm very interested to know the reasons behind this, is it because it can get stuck or what? (or maybe your wife forgets it on and drives for 10 minutes before she smells something and by that time it's too late the the rear disks are warped
no, that didn't happen in our current Volvos
)

ps. Mine seems to drag bit so I just roll forward a couple inches before I back out and that does the trick.

LTA

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Re: Wife said today the car wouldn't back up - as if brakes were frozen...help (LTA)

It's just silly. If you've got a standard tranny and the car pops out of gear, it could roll into the door, a wall, a person. If you've got a little one...geez...unless there are some medical issues that I'm not thinking of, there's just no good reason not to use it.

-Eric

1 - 20 of 20 Posts