SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I an considering replacing my US spec side rear view mirrors with the S80 part#<BR>9203118 LH and 9203124 RH Euro mirrors. Does anyone know, or have access to the installation procedure. I assume the main trick is getting the mirror housing apart without scratching paint of breaking something important. I also assume the Euro mirrors will bolt, screw or whatever as a direct replacement. Any information is appreciated. ajm <P><P>

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
I'm going to quote what they said in Rolling. This was describing the installation on a V70XC and may be different than your car. I've never done this, I want to qualify that.<P>Begin Quote:<P>Installation can be a bit tricky. Check your manual or local Volvo mechanic to find out how to remove and replace the mirror glass. Basically, turn the mirror as far in and down as it will go. Then pry carefully at the outer edge, and it will snap out. Be careful, as the defogger wires are connected. They are difficult to remove, and if you are not careful, you will damage the connector on the mirror side, rendering the old mirro defogger useless.<P>On the new glass, tehre are two spring wires on the back. One is labled LH and one RH. Remove the one that does not apply. It will slip out when you rotate it correctly, lieka tavern puzzle. The one that stays in must be snapped in place. Put some silicone dialectric grease on the connectors when installing to prevent corrosion. Hold the mirror in place- put the end closest to teh car in first, and then press carefully on the outer third until it snaps in place.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
George,<BR>I used the information/procedure you provided and installed the euro mirrors just before a 2,300 mile vacation. The wife and I adapted to the mirrors quickly and now do not like the USA spec mirrors on our other car. Thanks for the good information. We've owned this car about one year and I have learned so much about Volvs from the forum traffic. The Euro mirrors were the icing on the already fine car. Thanks for your help. ajm <P>

·
Registered
13 Posts
When you said you adjusted to it quickly, is this mirror split, US spec on one half and wide angle on another half? Or is the whole mirror wide angle?<P>I've been considering getting this put on my 2002 V70 but I'm not sure what it looks like or if I would like it. What don't you like about the old US spec mirrors now that you have the European one installed?<P>Thanks,<BR>dgriffith

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From the car body out, the mirror is flat for the first 2/3. There is a faint dotted line from top to bottem at the 2/3 mark that deliniates where the flat(linear) part ends. The outer most 1/3 of the mirror is aggressive wide angle.<P>I prefer the Euro spec because:<P>I prefer to adjust the side mirrors to see the adjacent lanes more fully. With the 100% flat US drivers side mirror I thus can not see close to my car or have a peripheral impression (from the mirror) where my lane stripe is. <BR>The US passenger side wide angle mirror is good for full adjacent lane view but everything is reflected in a inaccurate,(distance), and non-liniar, presentation.<P>The Euro specification mirror allows me to adjust to see down the sides of the car (including a reflection back from the lane strip), gives a linear view of the traditional rear quarter blind spot, and gives a birds eye view of everything after that. The birds eye view angle continues until almost perpendicular to the centerline of my car. Depending on your particular mirror adjustment, the driver side mirror's presentation from the outside wideangle tip is 'clipped' by the Mirror housing. This has not been a problem and is commentary on my part.<P>We always verify out mirror data with a quick look over the shoulder before lane changes. With the US spec mirrior I was ocassionally surprise to find I had company there. Since the Euro's we have had no similar surprises.<P>One other comment. The Euro mirrors are side to side identical. I do not understand the reason but this common feature, and the mirror's linear presentation, on both sides, feels more natural and seems to inspire a more confident drive.<P>I hope this information helped. ajm <P>All that said, does anyone know where I can get Euro mirrors for a 96 Explorer?<P>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts