SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning folks!

Who has successfully ran wider than 8-8.5" wheels on their S60/V60?

As much as I want to keep looking for a used set of the 20" P* wheels, I'm thinking of going aftermarket and something similar to them, like I ran on my old MK4 Jetta GLI.

On the Jetta, the front was 8.5" and the rear was 9.5" - However, I know not to stagger the sizes like that on AWD but what I'm curious about is, with the correct ET and spacer set up, could a 9" or 9.5" be ran.
Not that I want to but I'm just curious.

Picture for reference

·
Registered
179 Posts
For what it's worth, and for future generations of volvo owners, I am running 19x8.5 +45 wheels with 245/40-R19 tires. I rub, but only when making u-turns with some speed. I haven't determined where it's rubbing, or done any additional testing, but there is some rub. Stock suspension. It's not enough to warrant immediate corrective action, but one of these days I will investigate. Probably should have gone with 35 aspect tires.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For what it's worth, and for future generations of volvo owners, I am running 19x8.5 +45 wheels with 245/40-R19 tires. I rub, but only when making u-turns with some speed. I haven't determined where it's rubbing, or done any additional testing, but there is some rub. Stock suspension. It's not enough to warrant immediate corrective action, but one of these days I will investigate. Probably should have gone with 35 aspect tires.
Nice! Any pictures?

·
Registered
54 Posts
for p3 models?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
It also depends upon the actual tire that is used - not all 245/40 R19 tires have exactly the same dimensions. Some may be fine, some not. Tread width, section width, circumference can differ from brand to brand.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
There are so many variables involved with fitment, as I’m sure the OP knows given the aggressive yet precisely fitted setup on that Jetta. Unfortunately there aren’t a lot of P3 cars running wide wheels with aggressive offsets that actually get low enough to look proper (or at least show-ready) with those wide wheels. These cars don’t have much room in the wheel wells for wide wheels, and the only way to get them to fit without rubbing seems to be to sit high and have lots of poke. I haven’t seen any cars here that get low on those wide wheels, but I would imagine you’d want to run a narrow tire if you really wanted to run a wide wheel without massive wheel gap. Literally no one stretches tire here, but I’d love to see someone do just that. I’d also recommend coilovers like KW V3s where you can adjust height and stiffness precisely, or at least some quality adjustable dampers. Ride stiffness will be essential at keeping wide wheels from colliding with fender edges, and anything more compliant will require the sort of massive wheelgap that will look wonky paired with wide wheels.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are so many variables involved with fitment, as I’m sure the OP knows given the aggressive yet precisely fitted setup on that Jetta. Unfortunately there aren’t a lot of P3 cars running wide wheels with aggressive offsets that actually get low enough to look proper (or at least show-ready) with those wide wheels. These cars don’t have much room in the wheel wells for wide wheels, and the only way to get them to fit without rubbing seems to be to sit high and have lots of poke. I haven’t seen any cars here that get low on those wide wheels, but I would imagine you’d want to run a narrow tire if you really wanted to run a wide wheel without massive wheel gap. Literally no one stretches tire here, but I’d love to see someone do just that. I’d also recommend coilovers like KW V3s where you can adjust height and stiffness precisely, or at least some quality adjustable dampers. Ride stiffness will be essential at keeping wide wheels from colliding with fender edges, and anything more compliant will require the sort of massive wheelgap that will look wonky paired with wide wheels.
Totally agree with you - After looking at the wheel wheels while the V60RD was in the air, I was doing measurements and didn't really see a solid way with out careful planning to run a wide set. I've wanted to lower the wagon and put it on some 9" or 9.5" wheels with stickies but it just doesn't seem feasible. I mean I'm sure it is but worth it, not sure entirely.

I was just curious as, like I mentioned, I came from the VW/Audi scene where it's all about low and stanced stuff, hence my old Jetta. I was running BC Racing dampening coils and was pretty pretty low haha.. stretched tires and all. I've grown to appreciate a meaty tire set up now and think that's the route I'd like to go with the wagon if I can narrow down what wheels, offset, spacer to go with.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Totally agree with you - After looking at the wheel wheels while the V60RD was in the air, I was doing measurements and didn't really see a solid way with out careful planning to run a wide set. I've wanted to lower the wagon and put it on some 9" or 9.5" wheels with stickies but it just doesn't seem feasible. I mean I'm sure it is but worth it, not sure entirely.

I was just curious as, like I mentioned, I came from the VW/Audi scene where it's all about low and stanced stuff, hence my old Jetta. I was running BC Racing dampening coils and was pretty pretty low haha.. stretched tires and all. I've grown to appreciate a meaty tire set up now and think that's the route I'd like to go with the wagon if I can narrow down what wheels, offset, spacer to go with.
I came from the lowered VW scene myself. This was my extensively modified 2008 GTI. Most of my $$$ was into speed parts (K04 with all the fixins) but it was lowered on Neuspeed springs and Koni FSDs with a bunch of subtle OEM+ mods including mk4 r32 reps. I often miss that car (totaled it...RIP).

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts