SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know whether it is possible to connect the XC90 sensus connect to the mobile phone wi-fi hotspot without having volvo on-call (which I understand has its own data subscription). In other words can we use the mobile phone internet connection on the XC90 system? I guess it should be possible with carplay, but I was wondering whether it is also possible without it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Should also be possible to buy a SIM card with a data plan and install that in the car.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Follow on question, as I have never owned a car with it's own potential hot-spot... Is it safe to assume that the antennae location on the roof of the car also serves as a radio antennae for WiFi and would therefore provide superior connectivity and signal to your phone sitting inside the car (provided carrier services were equivalent)? In other words if I have "3 bars of ATT LTE" on my phone and the same on my car, would the car's WiFi speed, reliability, etc. be superior to my iPhone? I don't think the vehicles WiFi has LTE available,correct?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Follow on question, as I have never owned a car with it's own potential hot-spot... Is it safe to assume that the antennae location on the roof of the car also serves as a radio antennae for WiFi and would therefore provide superior connectivity and signal to your phone sitting inside the car (provided carrier services were equivalent)? In other words if I have "3 bars of ATT LTE" on my phone and the same on my car, would the car's WiFi speed, reliability, etc. be superior to my iPhone? I don't think the vehicles WiFi has LTE available,correct?
Correct. Only 3G.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah, 4g is lte. Does anyone know if it's possible to create a wifi network within the car and connect a device using the cars Internet?

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Not great but better than nothing. I'll give the trial period a shot and if it is not impressive I'll dump it. On the Q7 it works very well but the streaming of NFLX and related sites was awful.
Why not just tether the car to your phone. You might then be able to use the car as the mobile hotspot when the car is on?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts