SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wonder why such a car with zillion special cameras and other hi end technical devices does not have a simple recording car camera as well and if one wants to have it there (to record just in case), one has to buy it for 100$, let it install with some weird wire connections, placement etc. Very strange to me ...

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I know what you mean, would be nice to have that option already built in! But you can have an aftermarket dash cam installed and hide the wires properly so they are not hanging there.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
one has to buy it for 100$
One doesn't have to buy it, but can elect to purchase such a device for much less than $100 ($50-55 on Amazon for very decent cameras, even in Europe)

let it install with some weird wire connections, placement etc.
Nothing weird. Anyone, and I mean literally anyone, can run the cord so it's virtually invisible (under headliner, around A-pillar, into the weather stripping, under the passenger side mat, and into the cigarette lighter).

------

But yeah, it's time higher end cars start including those things as, at least, optional equipment.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did not mean $100 is much , but exactly opposite - it is just few cents, but I do not understand why such a car having 360 degrees cameras, blind angle cameras, radars, lasers and what not cannot have this simple cheap common device already built and one must take the hassle to install it extra

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Because it's not common to have one in most ares of the world, just Russia and surrounding countries.
(Because over there you people are just about the worst drivers I've ever seen)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've gone through a number of dashboard cameras ranging anywhere between 25 - 200 dollars and I gotta tell you, I have not find the perfect one yet. Either one eventually brakes (actually, rather quickly) if you leave it in the car at all times. Excessive cold or heat doesn't go well with them. If you decide to take them of every time you park it's a PITA and the mount often breaks.

I agree, if Volvo is putting high quality elements-resistant cameras in already, why not allow for video recording from these cameras? I would LOVE that feature.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have wondered about this as well.

We know that the cameras are "running" most of the time with lane keeping assist looking for the lines (Cameras in the mirrors), the speed limit sign reader, left turn cross traffic monitor, not to mention Adaptive Cruise and Pilot Assist watching the car in front. I bet a skilled electrical engineer or wire splicer could split out the video feed that is already being sent somewhere for analysis and also send it to a box for recording.

The technology is already in the car and running, it is just a matter of intercepting the video feed and sending it to a recording device.

So, who's willing to start pulling down the wiring harnesses and figuring out which wires carry this video?

Back in the 90's I was able to hijack the output of the factory 6 disc CD player/ input to the factory radio in my Explorer in order to wire in 3.5 mm aux wire so I could listen to an mp3 player. I just tapped into each wire and figured out which were the output using a small speaker, then wired the leads to those wires. Then had to listen to a "silent" CD when I played the MP3 Player.

Video seems like it would be more difficult however. I wouldn't know where to start. Is there a service manual or schematic available anywhere?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Does any vehicle offer a built-in dash cam as a factory option?

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
I am curious why anyone thinks they need this.

Is it so your insurance company has evidence they can use against you when you make a claim?

Is it so you have funny videos to share on the internets?

This feature would not aid the driver in driving the car safely nor in keeping the passengers safe, so I'm not sure why any manufacturer would include it. But I guess the same can be said of a radio (but radios have been expected by consumers for 50 years).

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If for example something happens on the road and they think you are to blame , while it is not your fault at all - would you choose to be able to prove the truth or not ? It has nothing to do with radio, Russia etc. It can happen anytime anywhere ...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Less funny than terrifying, really:

There are a lot of these.

·
Registered
478 Posts
A buddy of mine had the craziest thing happen to him that he caught on his dash cam as well as IP cameras in his garage. You have to see it to believe it. It even made the evening news ...
Too bad about the racist captions.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Too bad about the racist captions.
Oops! My apologies. I forgot about those comments. I have removed the link for now.

Edit: I just changed the link to the edited and more sanitized version that appeared on the news.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
If for example something happens on the road and they think you are to blame , while it is not your fault at all - would you choose to be able to prove the truth or not ? It has nothing to do with radio, Russia etc. It can happen anytime anywhere ...
With the system of insurance in the U.S., I'm not sure having a camera is an advantage. It might be more of a disadvantage.

But I am honestly wondering. I didn't intend to make fun of any of you.

And I realize the situation could be different on a country by country or even a state by state basis, as insurance works differently.

Have you folks read about the cops who are breaking their dash cams? Granted, most people may be more inclined to believe what a cop says, than to believe a regular person, so perhaps cops are more disincentivized to have cameras.

I guess if insurance fraud is prevalent in your area, having a dashcam would be useful.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I really wonder why such a car with zillion special cameras and other hi end technical devices does not have a simple recording car camera as well and if one wants to have it there (to record just in case), one has to buy it for 100$, let it install with some weird wire connections, placement etc. Very strange to me ...
The material cost of a dashcam may be just $50, plus $50 for factory installation, but on a car it is not calculated this way. First you need to provide the same 4 year warranty. In fact many cheap dashcams do fail in 2-3 years. So add $100 to the replacement allowance toward each car and add 2 hours of labor at $120/hour. Now this is $450/piece add-on. This final price is comparable to many add-on pieces like heated wheel, remote start, etc.

·
Registered
174 Posts
G
I am curious why anyone thinks they need this.

Is it so your insurance company has evidence they can use against you when you make a claim?

This.

This feature would not aid the driver in driving the car safely nor in keeping the passengers safe, so I'm not sure why any manufacturer would include it. But I guess the same can be said of a radio (but radios have been expected by consumers for 50 years).

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Prohibited in Austria - I think having one is a €10,000 euro fine. In Germany if you have one you can't post video from it on-line (privacy laws) and if you get in an accident and have the video it will likely be inadmissible. Other countries insurance carriers promote having one.

Technology wise one would think that the car - already having a number of cameras - could easily offer the ability to write MPEG files to a USB flash drive (or other suitable memory device that the consumer could insert / remove). As others have noted - considering that you can get for ca USD $70 a camera that can record 1080i streams ... it wouldn't be a big issue to include it. Maybe what would be more difficult is dealing with the legalities especially when you can drive a car from one country that allows dash cams to one that fines heavily for using one.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Personal Privacy. Not everyone and every principal allows or wants a crashcam integrated into the system. The cameras on the vehicle are not a couple go pros mounted, but rather system and application specific cameras. The only car I think that comes with that option is a track beater Z06

1 - 20 of 25 Posts