SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...-transmission-puts-dog-clutches-on-the-leash/

Having taken delivery of a Acura TLX SH-AWD Technology and driving it since Thursday night, this is one of my complaints with the car. If only Honda put the 8 speed dual clutch transmission in the V6 TLX as well :facepalm:. Other than that, the car seems to be pretty good, minus a couple quirks that I'm waiting to get sorted out already. Going back to the dealer next week for some software updates as we try to reduce the severe vibrations at city and highway speeds.

I bet no one is going to read this thread..

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
So THAT'S why BMW still use the Aisin six-speed auto in their FWD cars and the I8. Even though the first ZF automatic was designed for BMW back in the Sixties.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
yeah, interesting. I thought 8 gears was getting to be a bit much, similar to the escalation of the number of jewels in a watch movement was used to show how better a one movement was over the other when in fact there was no appreciable improvement.

I've only recently started exploring sport mode but have not really done manual shifting yet.

·
Registered
390 Posts
So THAT'S why BMW still use the Aisin six-speed auto in their FWD cars and the I8. Even though the first ZF automatic was designed for BMW back in the Sixties.
I could have sworn that my parent's '66 BMW 1800A had a Borg Warner automatic transmission. I definitely remember the P-N-D-2-1-R shift pattern though. It made funny noises if you manually downshifted forgetting the last R position.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I could have sworn that my parent's '66 BMW 1800A had a Borg Warner automatic transmission. I definitely remember the P-N-D-2-1-R shift pattern though. It made funny noises if you manually downshifted forgetting the last R position.
Borg Warner partnered at first on ZF's first automatic, but later dropped out. Nonetheless the resulting ZF 3HP may have resembled the similarly-sized contemporary Borg Warner 35.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ZF 8 or 9 speed is not for transversely mounted engines
This is the next best one I guess
The ZF 9HP is for transversely mounted engines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_9HP_transmission

With a host of software updates, 9HP transmissions used in MY2016 and MY2017 Honda vehicles are much better than in the 2015. Some internal revisions were definitely made as evident by a different part number, shift speed, and shift quality. As a MY2015 TLX owner, the transmission continues to suck, though I don't have the latest software update yet. Some TLX owners are saying don't expect a 2015 TLX to shift as quickly or smoothly as a 2016/2017 TLX, regardless of whether you have the latest software or not.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Quote from MotorWeek's recent review of the S90: "The 8-speed automatic transmission is from Aisin, with a gentler Asian-luxury feel than the typical Euro-ZF supplied units in many German sedans."
The Aisin unit can be re-programmed for quicker, harder shifts by any manufacture that choses to do so. The Polestar ECU mod does both engine and transmission.
True, but there is apparently more at issue than just the the control software. The current Aisin 8-speed seems to be inherently smoother and has had no issues from the get-go, whereas its six-speed AWTF-80 SC predecessor was always problematic despite numerous software upgrades. It would seem that not all Aisin transmissions were created equal. IAE, I seem to recall hearing that Volvo worked with Aisin in co-developing these transmissions, rather than just buying them off the shelf. I would love to know whether or not the co-development was limited to just creating and/or tweaking in-house the control software or was actual involvement in the mechanical design as well.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Gotta say, I have the 8 speed auto transmission in a 2013 X5 and it's smooth enough shifting between gears but nothing like as spectacular and responsive as some of the reviews claim. Even in sport mode. It's actually pretty lazy from a start.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good thing they did, as the 9spd ZF transmission in my LR Discovery Sport basically drove me out of that thing. One of the worst engine/transmission combo on the market today, and by far the WORST engine/tranny combo I've ever had personally.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts