SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 2018 T8 And recently rented a car and was upgraded to Audi A6 which had pilot assist-like functionality which worked much better than Volvo's Pilot Assist - it adjusted the speed to the following car -OR- the speed limit signs. It also anticipated things like intersections and was adjusting speed accordingly. Even for the speed limit signs it was decelerating 200-300m in advance.
I was looking through manual and there is Automatic Speed Limiter functionality which works -only- with Speed Limiter but -not- with Pilot Assist (which I use quite a lot).
Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I've got 2018 T8 And recently rented a car and was upgraded to Audi A6 which had pilot assist-like functionality which worked much better than Volvo's Pilot Assist - it adjusted the speed to the following car -OR- the speed limit signs. It also anticipated things like intersections and was adjusting speed accordingly. Even for the speed limit signs it was decelerating 200-300m in advance.
I was looking through manual and there is Automatic Speed Limiter functionality which works -only- with Speed Limiter but -not- with Pilot Assist (which I use quite a lot).
Probably depends on the market. FWIW: Automatic speed limiter has not been available on US spec vehicles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
It is very risky. Somebody setup a speed limit sign on road side and your car will be affected.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
It is very risky. Somebody setup a speed limit sign on road side and your car will be affected.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
:p You are not serious, are you?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I sent this question to CC and the response was the same as Gary, not available on US Spec vehicle, then I asked - then why is it in my manual on Sensus? and no response. can't they design region specific manual when chose to omit some features?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
In response to the OP:

ASL and Pilot Assist are treated as two separate functions. Volvo's PA is a bit lacking in some areas, as you found out.

Regarding why Volvo chose to implement ASL the way they did or why they chose to not allow it in PA, who knows? My guess is that Volvo's PA is essentially an upgraded ACC, where you set the running speed, not the maximum speed. I suppose they could have another PA alternative based on SL instead of a set speed but that's not what they offer.

And as others mentioned, some features/options are available only on some markets and not others. As an example, here in the US, we cannot get the speed limiter, neither the manual version nor the automatic version - they are just not available. Who knows why Volvo decided against Speed Limiter in the US, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I thought the speed limiter is one of the options on red key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is speel limited where you set maximum speed allowed for the person using the key. ASL we are discussing is automatic speed limited which checks the speed limit signs on the road and reduces or increases the speed limits based on it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I thought the speed limiter is one of the options on red key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Two totally different functions with similar names in different contexts.

The Speed limiter on the red key is totally different. The red key speed limiter can limit the speed on your kids, valet and others for safety purposes, et al to whom you give the red key. That is also why it is known as the valet key.

The ASL is a market specific feature that is not available in the US and is not dependent on the red key even if it was offered in the US or other markets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
261 Posts
Isn't it limited to 82 or 83mph? I live in the NE and tbh, nobody drives the speed limit on highways. 10-15mph over is the average. I'm not on board with AP limiting the speed to whatever the posted speed limit might be.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I was just mentioning it in the contest to the post above mine. I thought the red key would be something like the manual speed limiter on other cars.
I understand the concept of the Euro version limiting the speeds from reading the speed signs-had the chance of testing in in Germany last year. Sorry if I was way off the topic.

"As an example, here in the US, we cannot get the speed limiter, neither the manual version nor the automatic version -"

·
Registered
426 Posts
To the original post asking why not:
- the camera that gets the speed is not fault free. Where I live there are specific stretches of highway where a speed sign meant for an exit lane get read from the on-board camera as if belonging to the highway. In this case you would get a vehicle dropping, without apparent cause, from 120km to 80km. Bad idea in the morning traffic when you are on the leftmost lane overtaking.
- Intersection? You want to user PA off the highway? That is something I am not willing to risk and I'm not even sure that Volvo meant PA to be used so (although in a bad congestion the PA comes handy, I take over the wheel once the jam is over).

my 2 cents

·
Registered
181 Posts
That is one of the things I do not understand, why Volvomdoes not make the speed limit applicable to adaptive cruise control.
It is definitely very easy to implement.

BUT, I think I could not use it anyway, as the road sign reading function is very limited and not well implemented, and thus does not provide correct results.
First of all, it combines the speed limits from both road sign reading and navigation maps, and many times the speed limit from navigation overrides the speed limit previously read from a road sign, which is totally wrong. It seems Volvo does not have enough self-confidence in road sign reading to make the road signs override the sensus map data where needed.
Also, it does not seem to read the city limit road signs, which are being moved from time to time, so they often do not correspond with the position stored in the maps.
And then there are countries where the speed limit is canceled at the nearest road junction, and this is not taken into account.
And one more thing, when I exit a highway within a city, it displays a country road speed limit instead of a city road speed limit, this is clearly a bug.

This means it is not reliable enough to be used with cruise control, it could easily make you pay bills :)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I was just mentioning it in the contest to the post above mine. I thought the red key would be something like the manual speed limiter on other cars.
I understand the concept of the Euro version limiting the speeds from reading the speed signs-had the chance of testing in in Germany last year. Sorry if I was way off the topic.

"As an example, here in the US, we cannot get the speed limiter, neither the manual version nor the automatic version -"
I'm sorry if my wording was confusing. The OP was asking about cruise control options.

Here in the US, the cruise control can be set to ACC (that can be downgraded to regular CC via a switch on the center display) and Pilot Assist.

In Europe and other markets, there are at least two additional options on the cruise control menu: Speed Limiter, where you manually select a max speed for the car, and Automatic Speed Limiter, where the car will automatically read speed limit signs and set the max speed for you. In these two modes, the speed of the car is controlled by the gas pedal as usual (it is not automatic as in ACC or PA), but it will limit the max speed for the car: no matter how much you push the gas pedal, it won't budge above its preset max speed. In that sense, it works similar to the red key function.

ASL is useful in areas where there are hidden speed cameras. It can also be configured to always drive NN mph above the posted limit.

These two options (SL and ASL) are NOT available in the US.

If you are interested, the old XC90 PDF manual described these functions starting on page 288.

----
An OSD anecdote: when I picked my T6 in 2016, I didn't know about these two options. Since my car wasn't ready, the folks at the FDC lent me another car for my trip. This car was euro-spec and of course, it had SL and ASL. For the first couple of days, I was fighting with the "stupid" cruise control that would do odd things and not maintain speed at times. It took me a while to figure out the keypad and what was happening. By then, it was clear that the only "stupid" on board was me. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts