SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2009 C70 but also own a 2001 Ford F150 with 145,000 miles on it. I have always used convention oil, not synthetic, in the truck. At 130,000 I sent a sample of my used oil to an independent lab to get tested. The results were "This truck looks more like it has 15,000 miles on it, not 130,000 miles. Whatever you are doing, keep doing it." I change oil every 4,000 miles and buy whatever is on sale, 5w-20. I am willing to listen to oil debates about what I should use in the C70 but I gotta say that I am really happy using conventional in my truck. But I also understand that the turbo has stricter requirements. My C70 manual says sythetic oil is not used unless towing. (How many C70's are used for towing?). OTOH, the manual says change it every 7,500 miles, which is a little longer than I'd like to go between changes. In my humble opinion, changing the oil often is more important than what type of oil a person uses. In the back of my mind I am thinking Castrol 5w-30 conventional, every 5,000 miles. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
I've had BOTH NA and turbo Volvos. I used dino oil in the NA with changes every 3700 miles. Car made it 255,000 miles without any oil related issues. OTOH, I use full synthetic in the LPT V70 I now own. Again, I change it every 3700 miles. I use full synthetic in the turbo because turbo bearings tend to get HOT and can "cook" conventional motor oil. I put a LOT of miles on cars before I get rid of them (I have gotten over 250,000 miles out of my last three cars) and don't feel like investing in a new turbo in the expected 250,000 mile life of my current car. So I use synthetic under these circumstances.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Turbo's glow like a cigarette cherry when you're in boost for any extend period of time (more than a few seconds). Conventional oil cooks as it passes through the glowing hot Turbo.

Thats why synthetic is the ONLY oil that should be used in any Turbo car..

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
I think that's an EXCELLENT choice of oil for this time of the year for where you live. I lived in the Charleston area for 23 years and, quite honestly, that would be what I would PERSONALLY use in your car this time of the year, especially where you live. Heck, its what I use in MY turbo Volvo this time of the year and we have a bit cooler weather than you do in South Carolina...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, thanks. I will probably stick with 5,000. Thanks. And I love Charleston. I ride the Hatfield McCoy trails a few times a year. Actually, I love WV. I would move there in a heartbeat if I could find work.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
You can also just change the filter halfway through the 7500 mile interval and top the oil up a bit when you do that. The synthetic oil should be fine for 7500 miles but the filter likely will not last that long.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If it was MY car, I wouldn't go that long with the filter. BTW, Mann filters seem to have a very good reputation here...
You can also just change the filter halfway through the 7500 mile interval and top the oil up a bit when you do that. The synthetic oil should be fine for 7500 miles but the filter likely will not last that long.
So, what do we think of Volvo's new 10K mile service intervals? That synthetic price stings a bit with the XC60 holding almost two GALLONS of the stuff!

Our '11 C70 is under Safe and Secure...I reckon we'll let Volvo do their thing for the next couple of years. I do need to decide on the XC60 if we're going to keep it after 60,000 miles this fall. Full syn and 7500 sounds about right.

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
So, what do we think of Volvo's new 10K mile service intervals? That synthetic price stings a bit with the XC60 holding almost two GALLONS of the stuff!
It depends on how long you plan on keeping it. I put 200 to 300,000 miles on a car before I get rid of it. With the new 10K schedule, I would probably replace both synthetic oil and filter every 5,000 miles.

The 6 cylinder in a XC60 holds more oil than my turbo 5 does...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am still trying to decide what to do. My old car said every 10000 on synthetic. So I changed the oil every 5000. The Volvo says 7500. If I do 1/2 then 37500,that's too soon. Every 5000 miles sounds good. However,the second one won't fall into the range for the free one. I still think that Volvo should know what's right.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts

Our '11 C70 is under Safe and Secure...I reckon we'll let Volvo do their thing for the next couple of years. I do need to decide on the XC60 if we're going to keep it after 60,000 miles this fall. Full syn and 7500 sounds about right.
My dealer will upgrade to full synth for $24 under S&S.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
for what it's worth, my volvo independent mechanic suggested every 5k miles synthetic due to the turbo and my city driving. not sure what was used in it at it's last oil change (done by dealer/prev owner), synthetic or blend or conventional, but he said the oil was pretty sludgy after I waited until 7500 miles to do the change.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
for what it's worth, my volvo independent mechanic suggested every 5k miles synthetic due to the turbo and my city driving. not sure what was used in it at it's last oil change (done by dealer/prev owner), synthetic or blend or conventional, but he said the oil was pretty sludgy after I waited until 7500 miles to do the change.
The Volvo book interval is for people with more hwy and less city miles. If you drive a lot of city/stop and go, the long interval leads to a plugged up pcv system.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
The Volvo book interval is for people who dispose of the car soon after the warranty is up. The long interval leads to a plugged up pcv system.
Fixed that for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts