SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just saw commercial for the Infiniti QX60 which is advertising the auto braking on the rear cross traffic alert. Is there a reason Volvo does not enable auto braking for the rear cross traffic alert?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
we have been shopping for new cars and volvo could use as similar systems city safe or something like it. but we have found volvo to be rather far behind other similarly priced cars today.

i do not know why they have not noticed what others are doing.

·
Registered
344 Posts
we have been shopping for new cars and volvo could use as similar systems city safe or something like it. but we have found volvo to be rather far behind other similarly priced cars today.

i do not know why they have not noticed what others are doing.
Entitled to your opinion, but besides Nissan Group who else does rear cross alert with braking? But I will give Nissan Group for their low tech, economic safety suite. 1st crossover to offer basically the same setups more and more are adapting with refinements of course

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
If there was one feature my prior QX60 had that I'd like to see in the XC90 eventually is braking built into the rear cross traffic alert. With all the beeps and boops that occur during some maneuvers, the beeps can be overlooked at times so while not complaining about it at all it'd be nice if it was considered.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This would be a nice feature and perhaps would require only a software update since the hardware seems to be already in place. The question is whether Volvo will go the route of Tesla and offer these enhancements for free (which they should since they are touting their Volvo 2020 safety promise) or whether they will offer them for a fee.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yeah, it's kind of surprising that the XC90 doesn't have this feature.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
This would be a nice feature and perhaps would require only a software update since the hardware seems to be already in place. The question is whether Volvo will go the route of Tesla and offer these enhancements for free (which they should since they are touting their Volvo 2020 safety promise) or whether they will offer them for a fee.
This forum is very hopeful that Volvo will update/upgrade software components on vehicles already sold. My personal feeling is that I find it hard to believe Volvo will commit any resources to upgrading/updating already sold cars - the auto industry as a whole has almost ZERO history of doing this...

·
Registered
14 Posts
...the auto industry as a whole has almost ZERO history of cars that are almost entirely software controlled. ;)

I think it is more difficult for them to NOT do this, and to keep track of all software differences between versions.... as I mentioned before, the software is their internal "car OS", which will run on all their new cars and will improve step by step...

·
Registered
344 Posts
This forum is very hopeful that Volvo will update/upgrade software components on vehicles already sold. My personal feeling is that I find it hard to believe Volvo will commit any resources to upgrading/updating already sold cars - the auto industry as a whole has almost ZERO history of doing this...
Hopeful true. However I guess the general sentiment is that Volvo troubleshoot and stabilize their existing software before attempting to add newer features to muddle up the current software.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I think it is more difficult for them to NOT do this, and to keep track of all software differences between versions.... as I mentioned before, the software is their internal "car OS", which will run on all their new cars and will improve step by step...
I hope you're right - but I think this would mark a massive shift in thinking. Apple does a really good job of making sure software works on older models, but they're the exception rather than the rule.
I don't know, offhand, of any car manufacturers who have done any meaningful changes to already-sold software - does anyone?

As Coolasice mentions, so far we've just seen bug fixes and fixes for items missing from the original build - nothing new other than maybe Inrix RTTI, right?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Volvo has already publicly stated that there will be updates to the car software. One specific example that we know of is Driver Profile functionality which is anticipated to be available for MY2016 XC90s around the time of the MY17 and S90 launch.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I am not so sure that Tesla is offering new safety or driver assistance features for free. It's more like promised features paid for in advance are being rolled out incrementally.

The promise Volvo touts relates to new cars in 2020, not the ones sold in prior years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am not so sure that Tesla is offering new safety or driver assistance features for free. It's more like promised features paid for in advance are being rolled out incrementally.

The promise Volvo touts relates to new cars in 2020, not the ones sold in prior years.
Tesla does software updates to enhance safety features all the time to current owners. The difference between Tesla and Volvo (if I understand correctly) is that Tesla's automatically update themselves over the air whereas with a Volvo you have to bring them into the shop for a software upgrade.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts

Tesla is absolutely offering new features, including safety features for free. The Autopilot update safety features were all free to everybody(i.e. auto braking). The convenience type features were added at cost(i.e. self parking). The Model X also already has side collision avoidance at launch, which is what it sounds like the OP is talking about.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Volvo has already publicly stated that there will be updates to the car software. One specific example that we know of is Driver Profile functionality which is anticipated to be available for MY2016 XC90s around the time of the MY17 and S90 launch.
But those were features it was supposed to launch with - not "new" features.
I know that's semantic olympics, but the things being delivered to the car in the Nov update and future promised updates don't include totally-new features not previously described that the XC90 already had.

Tesla's model is interesting - but I think they're so far out of the mainstream, delivering so few vehicles compared to the major automakers, that they're not a good example.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Tesla's model is interesting - but I think they're so far out of the mainstream, delivering so few vehicles compared to the major automakers, that they're not a good example.
Plus, Tesla is basically the only new car manufacturer on the block. They don't have a legacy product line or dealer model to support in addition to their current line. They only need expertise in electric cars.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Plus, Tesla is basically the only new car manufacturer on the block. They don't have a legacy product line or dealer model to support in addition to their current line. They only need expertise in electric cars.
Plus they effectively have ONE vehicle type to support given all the delays of the new models. However, I had read they still support the previous model in some ways, which is commendable

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Plus they effectively have ONE vehicle type to support given all the delays of the new models. However, I had read they still support the previous model in some ways, which is commendable
Tesla actually has 3 vehicles to support. The Roadster, the Model S and the Model X. The Roadster still has both regular maintenance as well as upgrade programs. The Model S and Model X are obviously in production. I am starting to see Model X on the road almost daily.

While it is true that Tesla is much smaller, you have to look at what they do with what they have. There are now almost 100,000(90,000+) Model S on the road. We aren't talking about a handful of cars. Tesla has the ability to update the software on this entire fleet within 24hrs. This is a company with about 14,000 employees. Now Volvo has 110,000 employees and has only 40,000 of the new XC90's on the road. With all of Volvo's resources, how long do you think it would take for them to update the entire fleet's(new XC90's) software? It won't be 24hrs, it won't be a week, it won't be a month. Quite honestly, it could be never, because you are stuck waiting on a customer to bring the car to you and 40,000+ people are not going to do that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts