SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I only had the car for couple of weeks but the engine start/stop is for some reason always shown as the unavailable icon...

I went through the manual and I think all the conditions met...It is winter here but we still have days that is 0 degree or above...Car shows 0 degree today when I took the picture below.

So any suggestions?

Also what do below mean from the manual?
  • The environment in the passenger compartment deviates from the set values.
  • The driver is making large steering wheel movements.

·
Registered
2019 S60 R Design, Fusion Red, Fully Loaded
495 Posts
Don’t have an answer for you, but mine is the same, Start/Stop seems unavailable at the moment.

·
Registered
2019 S60 R Design, Fusion Red, Fully Loaded
495 Posts
Not too concerned this time of year, if it persists into Spring, I will bring it up at my next service.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Page 427 of my 2019 S60 manual says certain conditions need to be met before auto start/stop will work. One of the conditions is temp. Will not be available with temps under 23 degrees f or above 86 degrees. Is it real cold where you guys are? Other conditions could also be trouble.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Long shot but, my Jaguar XK had a similar condition and it turned out to be the battery in the key fob.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Page 427 of my 2019 S60 manual says certain conditions need to be met before auto start/stop will work. One of the conditions is temp. Will not be available with temps under 23 degrees f or above 86 degrees. Is it real cold where you guys are? Other conditions could also be trouble.
Well, winter could be cold here but it was 0 degree C/32 F when took the picture...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Also if your start battery is below minimum charge the function will be unavailable. Do you guys keep your cars on a battery maintainer? There are a whole list of reasons why it may not be available. You should check your manual or the online version.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The battery has to have a certain charge level and the temperature has to be within a certain range. If you've done lots of short trips your battery might not be fully charged yet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Also, in dynamic/polestar it’s disabled, also in individual it can be depending on settings, but I’m guessing you know this so..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Also if your start battery is below minimum charge the function will be unavailable. Do you guys keep your cars on a battery maintainer? There are a whole list of reasons why it may not be available. You should check your manual or the online version.
Absolutely this is a possibility. There are a number of environmental/system conditions that have to be met before START/STOP functions but one of the biggest factors now is low battery charge due to cars not being driven. A lot of folks are working from home due to covid and the vehicles are just sitting in the garage.

I purchased a new 2020 V60CC in September and the S/S worked fine for a couple of months. It's functionally quickly dropped off and it was not due to the conditions listed in the online manual. My car was just sitting a lot and trips were very short. I believe when charge capacity of the main battery drops below about 80% the S/S function becomes unavailable. Like many others here I bought a CTEK Battery tender/maintainer which resolved my own issue. There are a couple of related threads on this you'll find helpful:

Battery not fully charging, anybody else had problem? | Page 3 | SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum

Stop/start finally works | Page 7 | SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum

Start/Stop unavailable with AC | SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The car is in my garage if not driven in winter season. Will see if it would be different in spring.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The car is in my garage if not driven in winter season. Will see if it would be different in spring.
That was my situation also where the car would sit for 7 - 14 days in the garage, only going out for short grocery trips. Naturally I'd run the seat and steering wheel heat which would further deplete the battery. This is the automatic battery charger I was referring to:

AmazonSmile: CTEK - 40-206 MXS 5.0 Fully Automatic 4.3 amp Battery Charger and Maintainer 12V (40-206): Automotive

You don't have to get it from Amazon but pricing was good as well as availability for the other accessories.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Absolutely this is a possibility. There are a number of environmental/system conditions that have to be met before START/STOP functions but one of the biggest factors now is low battery charge due to cars not being driven. A lot of folks are working from home due to covid and the vehicles are just sitting in the garage.

I purchased a new 2020 V60CC in September and the S/S worked fine for a couple of months. It's functionally quickly dropped off and it was not due to the conditions listed in the online manual. My car was just sitting a lot and trips were very short. I believe when charge capacity of the main battery drops below about 80% the S/S function becomes unavailable. Like many others here I bought a CTEK Battery tender/maintainer which resolved my own issue. There are a couple of related threads on this you'll find helpful:

Battery not fully charging, anybody else had problem? | Page 3 | SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum

Stop/start finally works | Page 7 | SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum

Start/Stop unavailable with AC | SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum
I looked the manual for the 2020 V60CC. They sure don't list the battery voltage as a cause like my manual. But that has to be an unintentional omission. However, there is a note on page 583 of the V60CC manual about it.

Since this is the case. Your battery is probably low. I now use the CTEK. Got it on Amazon $55. I'm retired so my car will sit for 3-4 days at a time. With the trickle charger battery always fully charged. Keeping your battery at top charge is better for the battery. If allowed to get too low too often to where you might even need a jump or a deep battery recharge, it can shorten the life of the battery.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I looked the manual for the 2020 V60CC. They sure don't list the battery voltage as a cause like my manual. But that has to be an unintentional omission. However, there is a note on page 583 of the V60CC manual about it.

Since this is the case. Your battery is probably low. I now use the CTEK. Got it on Amazon $55. I'm retired so my car will sit for 3-4 days at a time. With the trickle charger battery always fully charged. Keeping your battery at top charge is better for the battery. If allowed to get too low too often to where you might even need a jump or a deep battery recharge, it can shorten the life of the battery.
At $55 you got quite an excellent price. Was that a promotional sale?

·
Registered
193 Posts

This is what is happening. I had similar experiences with our XC90 and V60. We found that trips under 20 minutes do not sufficiently charge the Stop/Start battery. I now put a battery maintainer on the vehicles once a week.

Reactions: lensguy
1 - 19 of 19 Posts