SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was ready to buy a Barents blue XC60 the other night - the dealer had given me a great price and all I had to do was test drive the car and sign the papers.<p>I didn't buy it!<p>The center armrest is more than an inch lower than the door armrests! What's up with that? I'd have scoliosis at the end of a long trip. <p>And it's so far back that the tip of my elbow just touches it. <p>Does anyone know of a armrest extender? Duct tape and a piece of foam is not an alternative. <p><br>

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Re: Why is the center armrest so low? (ski2moro)

...Because driving with both elbows resting on the armrests is not the best driving posture according to the most ergonomics and safety studies...<p>It significantly reduces your arm mobility and forces your upper body into the stale posture with two pinch points at the elbows.

·
Registered
34 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>ski2moro</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was ready to buy a Barents blue XC60 the other night - the dealer had given me a great price and all I had to do was test drive the car and sign the papers.<p>I didn't buy it!<p>The center armrest is more than an inch lower than the door armrests! What's up with that? I'd have scoliosis at the end of a long trip. <p>And it's so far back that the tip of my elbow just touches it. <p>Does anyone know of a armrest extender? Duct tape and a piece of foam is not an alternative. <p><br></TD></TR></TABLE><br>Is that the reason you did not buy the XC60?<br>I have never read such nonsense...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Why is the center armrest so low? (gascos80)

I didn't say I was driving with both elbows on the armrests at the same time, I wondered why the center armrest was so low related to the door armrest and why it was so far back. It affects the passenger as well. I would think that the uneven levels would be stressful on the back and far from ergonomic. They don't make office chairs that way, and those claim to be ergonomic. <p>I'm not a tall person, but I wonder how short women who put the seat forward and up as far as it goes will utilize the arm rest. <p>I also asked if there was an extender available.<p>To JWV50 - I really don't understand your arrogance, and condescension. I'm obviously new to the forum, that was my first post. I didn't say I would not buy the XC60, I stated why I did not and asked for the help of the forum members to see if there was something to adapt the car to my level of comfort. I'm not going to put foam rubber and duct tape on my armrest. The BMW I once owned had a dealer installed adjustable armrest available, I was wondering if there was one for the XC60. <p>I realize there are many people who buy a car with no thought to their comfort, as evidenced by the huge number of tinny Asian POS cars with cardboard seats that people keep buying. I believe in the total experience of driving, and that includes my comfort, my safety, and my enjoyment. I do not buy a car based on the number of cup holders or the style of the shiny wheels or some equally silly prestige thing. <p>Nonsense is the people who DON"T think about all aspects of their experience in the car until after they make the purchase. <p>

·
Registered
71 Posts

I have the same observation and it is a bit awkward. I am a short person...<p>ALSO, I would like to see the vertical adjustment on the driver's powerseat allow one to go up a bit higher. Does anyone know if this is adjustable by the dealer ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Why is the center armrest so low? (gascos80)

I have some more questions. <p>Is the lower center armrest due to the position of the shifter for the manual transmission? I had forgotten that because in the US, the configuration of the XC60 is automatic transmission only. If the center armrest were as high as the door armrest, would you hit your elbow on the armrest when shifting a manual transmission? Or is this just a matter of the line of the design of the cup holders to armrest?<p>Second question, I have looked all over the internet for information about driving ergonomics and armrests. I found one citation from an Advanced Driving school regarding slower reaction time if the elbows are on the armrests. I found many citations for the benefits of armrests in alleviating shoulder and back pain for people, like me, who spend a lot of time in their cars. <p>Can you point me in the direction of some of the safety and ergonomic studies you know of?

·
Registered
7,476 Posts

No problem<p>Just Google<p>resting elbows on armrests driving posture<p>and while reading PAY ATTENTION to the differences in recommendations between the OFFICE and DRIVER'S chairs!!!<p>Your other suggestion is a good guess too. You WILL NOT be able to shift if your center console would be of the same height as the door armrest.<p>Personally, since I do follow the recomendations of keeping the elbow momement un-obstructed, even a tall coffee cup in the cupholder bothers me. I keep my insulated coffee mug in the door pocket.<p>Hey,<p>You can do whatever you want, I was just sharing something that I know.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I noticed that the first time I sat in the XC60. The seating position felt awkward to me too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts