SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only just joined the R family and I can honestly say its the best car I've owned. Something feels so special and premium about this car which just doesn't exist in any other Volvo at the moment. I had the new C70 T5 which had narrow firm seats and terrible ride quality. I've had the new S60 R-Design for a few days and its a good car but its not any giant leap over the previous S60 and the overall styling and interior details seem below that of the previous R range.

I can't help thinking the S60R/V70R are Volvo's greatest achievements and everything since has been a little downhill. Maybe the genuine Polestar editions (if they ever reach production) can bring it back but at the moment I'm thinking I should probably be snapping up the next fantastic example of an R I find and keep it as 'back up' as my next car!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I'm thinking I should probably be snapping up the next fantastic example of an R I find and keep it as 'back up' as my next car!
I know what you mean, as my S40 is on the rare side too.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
S40's rare?, must be good weed in CA lol
More rare than your R's. Check the sig bro.

EDIT: I remember why I avoid the R forum now.

·
Registered
796 Posts
The R is the newest Volvo I'll ever own. I've had two 89 740s, a 91 740, a 98 S70T5 and now my R. Nothing manufactured after the R (04-07 years) interests me in the slightest, and as you can see I've only ever owned volvos. I'm pretty sure I'll always have a volvo in my garage until the day I die, but it likely won't be any newer than an 07 R. I've always thought about what newer/current car would I drive if I didn't have an R.. Hard for me to answer that as I can't think of anything else that has what the R has. Sure there are quick AWD BMW, Benz, Audi, Infinity, etc but honestly for what the R does and is capable of, it's still very easy to work on. That's one requirement of any car I own is that it has to be something I can work on myself. I doubt I will every buy a truly new car as it's not in my financial interests. Soo, hopefully the R will be drive-able for the foreseeable future as nothing really interests me as a replacement.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I actually agree with you...good weed in VT apparently as well. S40s will never be like an R though, it's amazing.

Sent from my iPhone
Oregon as good weed too, from what I here. Nonetheless here in Portland s40's are like Camery's, they are every where...totally not rare.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You'll love the maintenance costs too.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
I love when people think rare means better. There's rareness due to poor marketing, and then there's rareness due to non interesting product...I can't see your signature, but I assure you that I, as well as many others would rather own my S60R than your S40. No hate intended, but I'm not a huge S40 fan.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Ouch, no wonder the guy avoids the R forum - you guys are brutal!

6-speed S40 T5 AWDs may not be "rare," but they aren't exactly a dime a dozen either.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Lol..^

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I'm kind of in this same boat... nothing newer flicked my bic, and while an S40 is ok, they are a little small for me (smaller than a 240, pretty snug)

I started looking at Volvo's again, looking for a C70 Coupe, and ended up with the R instead (and double my budget) because a) it was the best example I could find, and b) it has 4 doors and I am going to be stuck needing 4 doors for the foreseeable future...

That being said, it feels more capable than a C70, will definitely outrun a C70 in any direction you care to take it, and it just is perfect for sleeper operations... it's truly a stealth machine. If you have to have an ego check due to a small penis, this isn't the car for you... performance is where it is, looking super duper capable isn't. Not that it doesn't look good, it is gorgeous, but it doesn't scream "look at me, I am a hot rod" like a lot of other cars do (most of whom cannot perform as well)

It's like talking with a good friend and former co-worker... he's got a T/A that he loves, and good for him... we got to talking about brakes, and I just casually dropped that Brembos were the stock binders on our car... he about had a cow... it's things like this that Volvo got WAY right when they built it that are now missing on the new "R-Design". Get real, Volvo, drop the extra $$$ for the better brakes, the better stuff, and turn it over to the people. Yes, you may lose a few dollars of profit, but you'll gain more street cred than you can shake a stick at.

if/When Polestar does get to market, it will indeed be interesting to see what they do. But meanwhile, Volvo needs a stronger performance flag to carry... Just my thought...

I figure that this is the 142e (I owned one) or the 242Ti Flathood of this era. Rare, way faster than the stock version, and way more fun to drive... and not so glaring that anyone will know what hit them before the hammer drops.

·
Registered
169 Posts
y'all quit hatin' on the S40. I get to drive an S40 from time to time and I think it is always a fun experience, it's like a go-kart. slowish, but fun to throw through turns and you can make rogue maneuvers in parking lots etc. with the sweet turning radius. The S40 I frequent is the 170hp non-turbo with an automatic trans and cloth interior. I was actually interested in a turbo manual trans leather interior S40, but it was more difficult to find than an S60R and more expensive.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
When you drive newer cars you will realize how old the S60 platform really is.
Uh, Tomedkaz, I drove up to 2012 (brand new) S60's and C70 AND C30... and several other brands to boot... yes, it is "old" in some respects, but it is NOT "old" in how it performs, especially when comparing one that is well maintained and in Stage 0 condition (like mine is.)

I was really surprised at how the newer Subarus drove... everyone was ranting and raving about how much better the new Legacy drives compared to the old one... frankly, other than more horsepower (which is nice) they don't drive much better than our old 1999... The new Ford Taurus drives very nice, but it feels wallowy (and yes, I drove an SHO) it didn't feel all that much tighter than the 2007 (last year of old model Taurus) I used to drive or the 2002 that I just got done doing an entire chassis refresh on (new struts, shocks, mounts, inner and outer tie rods, lower ball joints, sway bar ends, basically everything other than the rack, sway bars, and control arms themselves got replaced) .

I like a roadable car. It needs to be able to perform. The new Volvos are capable, but there isn't nearly as much difference from a 2004 to a 2012 than there was from a 1994 740 to a 2004 S60R.

I don't know what you are looking at... maybe you would care to elucidate and expand your comment to include what is so much better (to your mind?) I may agree with you, if I knew what you were looking at.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
y'all quit hatin' on the S40. I get to drive an S40 from time to time and I think it is always a fun experience, it's like a go-kart. slowish, but fun to throw through turns and you can make rogue maneuvers in parking lots etc. with the sweet turning radius. The S40 I frequent is the 170hp non-turbo with an automatic trans and cloth interior. I was actually interested in a turbo manual trans leather interior S40, but it was more difficult to find than an S60R and more expensive.
My mom has a 05 s40 t5, it is like a go cart, but it's boring, plain, and lacking the real sports sedan luxury you get with an R.

Sent from my iPhone

1 - 20 of 70 Posts