SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently just purchased a Silver 04 S60 R 6 speed manual trans with 145k miles. The car ran a little rough so I did a stage 0 and swapped the spark plugs, coil packs, changed the oil, and have babied it since I bought it. I have put on IPD engine and transmission mounts, Obx downpipe, and cut off the muffler so it is straight piped. The car now has 149k miles on it and I have changed the oil twice now and just recently about two days before I put the downpipe on smoke started to come out of my tailpipes. It wasn't to much for the first few days so I wasn't all that concerned, but now it is really starting to come out. it does it when I shift sometimes and when I come to a complete stop after going about 45 mph a big cloud will come out the back. I thought the oil trap was clogged so I bought a new one and a buddy of mine and myself put that on but the old oil trap wasn't clogged. Everything seems to be fine and the car runs great but I am a little lost and don't know what to do. Does anyone have a clue what it could possibly be?:confused:

Registered
what color is the smoke? If its blue its burning oil, if its white when its a cold start its normal. My VR emits a bit of start up smoke when cold, due to the catless downpipe. Due to the mileage, im more inclined to say its oil.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
The smoke is white, but I can smell oil.

Registered
Check your turbo

Registered
Your Turbo might be eating oil. You might need to rebuild the turbo. Or the Piston rings are ****ed and that will be a PITA to change !!!! How much oil are you losing? That might help some people understand what it could be.

Registered
White and blue color smoke are alot of times confused. They can look very similar. As stated above tell us how much oil is burn between 3k miles. Check that dipstick regularly.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
my check oil light came on once and I put a quart of mobil 1 fully synthetic in but it hasn't came on since then and its been about a month maybe a little longer. I check my oil and it doesn't seem to be going down at all or if it is then a very small amount.

Registered
149K sounds about the time when the turbo needs new seals. Do you know how the last owner drove the car. If he was aggressive with it check out some rebuilding kits and start opening up that turbo :) I have done it on a V70 from 98 its easy with a lift without it might be a PITA to put back in.
http://www.ardideas.com/K24-Turbo-Rebuild-Kit--BACKORDER_p_194.html
There is other websites that sell it, but its something like that.

Registered
Noticed any drop in coolant level?

Burning a little oil or coolant won't hurt your catless caR much. So top up your coolant and oil and check both every day until you notice which one is dropping.

If I had to guess I would say your turbo may have a leak on the exhaust side.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Alright I don't have time today but tomorrow I will be checking out my turbo and I will let you know. Thanks for the help!

Registered
You mentioned replacing the oil trap, but did you replace the other tubes, particularly the one that runs from the box to the fresh air pipe on the intake of the turbo. That tube clogs. It's a little undersized for the engine. But that's only if you realm got the blue smoke.
Sent from my rotor-dial phone with the help of Cortana.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
We checked the tubes and none of them were clogged, if they were I would have replaced them. This may sound odd but it smells like blown out birthday candles when it smokes.... I'm checking the turbo today.

Registered
We checked the tubes and none of them were clogged, if they were I would have replaced them. This may sound odd but it smells like blown out birthday candles when it smokes.... I'm checking the turbo today.
That might be the head gasket if it smells like that and if the turbo is not the problem. You might need full engine rebuild if turbo is not the problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts