SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC90 Inscription
106 Posts
Lots of good replies but I don’t think op created this thread to get advice.
Then what did he create the thread for? Pity? Everyone and their dog here knows to avoid a 2016. His has like 3 problems, not that bad.
Everything stated sounds pretty standard. The only thing that could’ve constituted a lemon would be the vibration but it’s too old now.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Then what did he create the thread for? Pity? Everyone and their dog here knows to avoid a 2016. His has like 3 problems, not that bad.
Everything stated sounds pretty standard. The only thing that could’ve constituted a lemon would be the vibration but it’s too old now.
I think some owners can have expectations that are disconnected from the reality of manufacturing. New models can have more problems that are usually resolved under warranty. And as miles and years are accumulated components do start to wear out.

My new model story involves the original Volvo S80 T6. Consumer Reports showed it to be not very reliable and yet we went ahead because we loved the red car with soft oyster color leather. And we knew Volvo's reputation was good. Sure enough a trans module conked out and a wheel bearing died. And there were one or two other things. Volvo took care of it all under the standard warranty. And we enjoyed a reliable powerful road car for 14 years. Sure some things needed repair as the odometer went up but that's to be expected.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Then what did he create the thread for? Pity?
Probably just to vent? I can sympathize tho my issues weren't as bad as OP. I bought mine in 2017 used because I was smitten with the car and didn't think enough about the 1st/2nd year woes and looking back, the experience could have been a lot better but as the forum shows, others have had worst experiences and probably destroyed any brand loyalty that could have been had.

Whether it was misplaced or not, there's a contingent of us that were expecting better experiences. I'm also in the same camp, after my extended warrant runs outs, I'm jumping ship. It is what it is and hopefully OP is able to move on to a new ride that he/she can really be in love with.

Reactions: rampitup67

·
Registered
167 Posts
I tried it within the first year or two. It was also down to 25k value within two years according to Mannheim auctions
There is no way your two year old XC90 was worth 25k unless it had 100k+ miles. In any case I am sorry about your experience and I hope it doesn’t happen again with your next car. You had really bad luck and that’s hard to “deal with” when it happens to you, something with which I sympathize. It shouldn’t happen with any new car and if it’s common with new models/2016s that’s worth noting when considering your next car.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
There is no way your two year old XC90 was worth 25k unless it had 100k+ miles. In any case I am sorry about your experience and I hope it doesn’t happen again with your next car. You had really bad luck and that’s hard to “deal with” when it happens to you, something with which I sympathize. It shouldn’t happen with any new car and if it’s common with new models/2016s that’s worth noting when considering your next car.
Thanks. It’s been a week since the car went to dealer. Haven’t heard anything from them yet.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Just got a call from the dealer. Supercharger needs to be resealed and trap pan replaced. $1600. They can’t address my squealing breaks because it’s an aftermarket part which I used to try to stop the squeezing since Volvo parts always squeeled on that back wheel.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Yikes! I know that now is not a good time to buy a car, new or used, but for your sanity perhaps its worthwhile to take a loss on the car and the warranty and get something else. All of our Volvos have been pretty reliable but at times the repeated trips for the same problems became annoying, not anywhere close to your experience, however. You may sleep better at night with a Lexus!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Not sure this helps the OP, but I currently have a 2022 XC90 T6 Momentum loaner. It was given to me with 9 miles on it. This thing vibrates horribly at speeds greater than 65 mph. Worse than my former new 2020 with flat spots on the tires from sitting for 8 months on the lot. It's almost as bad as severe brake pulsating. On super smooth, recently re-paved freeways... the steering wheel and seats shake like mad. It gets worse when I hit 73-75 mph.

I've seen numerous threads and posts on the vibrations from numerous SPA's and the CMA's. I'm not sure what is going on with Volvo, but this is really, really bad.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
.... but for your sanity perhaps its worthwhile to take a loss on the car and the warranty and get something else.
+1
I feel for you larrydeatl and I don't think I can handle what you're going through. I considered dump my MY16 after it got an engine rebuild due to a blown spark plug and I seriously considered dumping the car then. I'm thankful that it still runs well today but the fact that I had to shoulder that risk was not my definition of a good user experience.

For your own sanity, would you consider dumping the car?

Reactions: rampitup67

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
+1
I feel for you larrydeatl and I don't think I can handle what you're going through. I considered dump my MY16 after it got an engine rebuild due to a blown spark plug and I seriously considered dumping the car then. I'm thankful that it still runs well today but the fact that I had to shoulder that risk was not my definition of a good user experience.

For your own sanity, would you consider dumping the car?
I often consider it but right now there is no inventory of replacement cars that I would want. Or they’re missing features. Also not to be ridiculous but I did spend 63k + $4000 extended warranty on a vehicle with hopes it would last longer than 5 years. I do take care of my cars. My x3 has had zero issues since 12/2017.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts