SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered our 2016 T6 Inscription XC90 brand new with the specs we wanted. Bought the extended warranty to protect our purchase and allow us to maximize time of ownership.

Within the first month of ownership the brakes started squealing. Had to take the car in 6 times to the dealer for new pads, rotors and even calipers. They could never get the squealing to permanently stop. They used brake grease once to load up the pad and stop the vibration as a temporary fix.

Later our leather dash separated. Replaced by the dealership under warranty only to have the same thing happen again a year later with no further support.

Had the main and aux batteries die at year 4, replaced by our new dealer. Less than a year later both batteries failed again. I’m sure we are heading towards a more positive experience again in six months.

the sensus system was always woefully under powered, infuriatingly slow.
our sunshade does not close all the way, third time we have to take it into be recalibrated by a Volvo tech - over a sunscreen!

The driving experience is horrible. Massive vibrations in the cabin and steering wheel on the Highway. Countless wheel rebalancing and rotor replacement having no effect. A torn torque mount was replaced and solved the issues for a month before the vibrations returned. Mechanics drive it and agree not a smooth ride, but they cant find anything wrong when inspecting.

check engine light came on this past June at 66,000 miles. O2 sensor and software covered under deductable warranty at $700. A month later cel is back on with 6+ week wait times to get into our local dealer.

positives: no leaks, no lights burned out,would be a comfortable cabin but for the horrible driving experience with bad vibrations.

this Company sells 3/4 of the way there cars but doesn’t really care about their customers at all. They didn’t stand behind their product and all of its flaws

Over 20 trips for recalls and repairs and follow up to repairs that didn’t work during our 5 years of ownership.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sounds like you had a lemon and could have pursued a repurchase through Volvo. Did you contact Volvo or just the dealer? We had early issues with our T8 and they were very receptive and accommodating. Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the vehicle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There were a lot of issues with the 2016 models especially it was the 1st year. Had some minor issues with my 2018 T6 Inscription but all fixed at the dealer. The only gripe is that the amber nappa seats longevity remains to be seen on the drivers side. Only 37K miles but compared to my 2014 Mercedes leather at 61K miles (not MB-tex), the Volvo wear is much more substancial.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like you had a lemon and could have pursued a repurchase through Volvo. Did you contact Volvo or just the dealer? We had early issues with our T8 and they were very receptive and accommodating. Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the vehicle.
I did ask Volvo to buy the car back based on the issues we had and they denied the request without discussion. Not sure if lemon would have applied to the brakes.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I did ask Volvo to buy the car back based on the issues we had and they denied the request without discussion. Not sure if lemon would have applied to the brakes.
There is usually a time limit (in the first year for example, check your state lemon law) to file lemon claim. Bakes could count too but probably in the first year, brake issues were not big alarm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ordered our 2016 T6 Inscription XC90 brand new with the specs we wanted. Bought the extended warranty to protect our purchase and allow us to maximize time of ownership.

Within the first month of ownership the brakes started squealing. Had to take the car in 6 times to the dealer for new pads, rotors and even calipers. They could never get the squealing to permanently stop. They used brake grease once to load up the pad and stop the vibration as a temporary fix.

Later our leather dash separated. Replaced by the dealership under warranty only to have the same thing happen again a year later with no further support.

Had the main and aux batteries die at year 4, replaced by our new dealer. Less than a year later both batteries failed again. I’m sure we are heading towards a more positive experience again in six months.

our sunshade does not close all the way, third time we have to take it into be recalibrated by a Volvo tech - over a sunscreen!

The driving experience is horrible. Massive vibrations in the cabin and steering wheel on the Highway. Countless wheel rebalancing and rotor replacement having no effect. A torn torque mount was replaced and solved the issues for a month before the vibrations returned. Mechanics drive it and agree not a smooth ride, but they cant find anything wrong when inspecting.

check engine light came on this past June at 66,000 miles. O2 sensor and software covered under deductable warranty at $700. A month later cel is back on with 6+ week wait times to get into our local dealer.

positives: no leaks, no lights burned out,would be a comfortable cabin but for the horrible driving experience with bad vibrations.

this Company sells 3/4 of the way there cars but doesn’t really care about their customers at all. They didn’t stand behind their product and all of its flaws

Over 20 trips for recalls and repairs and follow up to repairs that didn’t work during our 5 years of ownership.
Sounds like a lemon. Depending on what state you live in, you ought to be able to get Volvo to buy it back. All manufacturers make lemons from time to time - even Toyota/Lexus. That's why we have Lemon laws.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Some cars were built on a Friday. Why not just trade it in and move past that one?

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Issues like brake pads are parts quality from vendors, many are in Europe and China. I am not saying vendors in some country are better than others. But unfortunately quality control of some of them is not top notch.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
672 Posts

If no lemon possible, you should get trade-in assist from Volvo.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don’t think I would get a trade assist all these years later. Reason I haven’t ditched the car yet is because I did but a lengthy extended warranty. I would get rid of it if I could. It also lost a ton of value relative to acquisition cost.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Vibration issue is very annoying and should be fixed under warranty. I'd say try push customer support and dealer to do everything possible, such as swapping with wheels from other cars, inspect and tighten all bolts on suspension and axles, etc, to root cause and fix it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I don’t think I would get a trade assist all these years later. Reason I haven’t ditched the car yet is because I did but a lengthy extended warranty. I would get rid of it if I could. It also lost a ton of value relative to acquisition cost.
You think Volvo depreciates a lot, take a look at BMW's.

Only Toyota/ Lexus keeps a relatively high resale value - dependent on model of course.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
I tried it within the first year or two. It was also down to 25k value within two years according to Mannheim auctions
C'mon...the biggest depreciation hit is in the first three years. Just ask folks that lease. The car market does not use straight line depreciation.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts