SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can understand someone wanting to maintain a certain degree of anonymity online, but it would be very helpful if more people would at least include a basic location in their profile. This is an international forum, and we are dealing with different markets, pricing, trim levels, options, laws, etc ... When someone makes a comment, a location helps to give other people perspective. If you don't want to be specific, then I suggest listing just a general location such as "California" or "France".

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I noticed that too and it's very annoying IMO!

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I am very lazy and tired of filling registration data on so many websites. lol
But, a more advanced website should be able to figure out my location from my IP address...

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think most people just 'join' and then start reading and replying to posts. Wonder how many have ever gone into their profile page to adjust the settings or submit any personal information. Heck it took me a few months before I chose an avatar. ;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
amen..... most of the confusion here is related to the market differences and configurations offered for the new xc

·
Registered
99 Posts
I joined the forum via Tapatalk. Looks like my location didn't port over from my main account and I can't figure out for the life of me how to change it in the app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I joined the forum via Tapatalk. Looks like my location didn't port over from my main account and I can't figure out for the life of me how to change it in the app.
Perhaps that's why more people don't have their location listed. I mostly access the forum from my laptop, but I'm guessing a lot of people only ever use their phones.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
How come tapatalk people never turn off the advertising tapatalk signature that apparently turns on by default? Just wondering as people do it on many forums; does anyone care if someone is using tapatalk sent from their dingleberry?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
How come tapatalk people never turn off the advertising tapatalk signature that apparently turns on by default? Just wondering as people do it on many forums; does anyone care if someone is using tapatalk sent from their dingleberry?
I don't know how to turn off tapatalk ads when using it. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I don't know how to turn off tapatalk ads when using it. :)
I said signature, like the one my_volvo_sucks left behind when posting from tapatalk above, not ads. The signature is nothing more than an ad for tapatalk and can be turned off.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Probably for the same reason they don't update their location

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Probably for the same reason they don't update their location

Thankfully I know you posted that from your iPhone, using tapatalk. :)

And FYI, I only used you as an example since you posted in this thread and used tapatalk, I was not singling you out. Just asking a question I've been curious about in general on various forums.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Bumping this old thread. For folks whose posts don't show their location, adding your location to your profile is helpful since the XC90 has a bunch of country-specific options.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Done

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I am very lazy and tired of filling registration data on so many websites. lol
But, a more advanced website should be able to figure out my location from my IP address...
That wouldn't work always. I'm often confused for being in Canada or 150 miles away in Grand Rapids when something polls my IP. It depends on what is done on an ISP level. Your IP isn't going to limit you to a physical location, it's going to be a generalized area at best--or even a region.

Posting from a mobile device is especially problematic for this. I could be "from" Detroit but if I'm traveling in Wisconsin, for example, my IP address will show that it's in some form of carrier cloud in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Bumping this old thread. For folks whose posts don't show their location, adding your location to your profile is helpful since the XC90 has a bunch of country-specific options.
I agree, it's very annoying not seeing someone's location!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well I don't want to be an annoyance so I updated mine!:D
I honestly forgot to change it!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts