SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, first of all, I don't like "automatic headlamps" - I never have. I'LL decide when I want my lights on and when I don't want my ex to know that I'm stalking her... K? Thanks...

SO, I park in the garage at night, and in the morning when I start up the car, the HID's try to come on right away. SO in the morning I'll turn on the parking lamps which - oddly enough - turns off the HID's AND the daytime running lights, and I'm happy with this, so I go to work... I park. I get out. I leave.

The car never tells me that I left the lights on. My old Stratus - hell even my Viper - gives me a "hey idiot you left your lights on" warning chime when the door is open, keys are out of the ignition, and the lights are on.

Is the Volvo supposed to? Come to think of it, I can't say I've heard any chimes out of this thing... Maybe my "chimer thingie" is broken? Also, is there no "automatic shutoff"? A lot of cars will turn off lights if their idiot owners forget to do so on their own...

Just curious what the norm is, because now I'm stuck at work with a dead battery... Fun...

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Nope, nothing. My guess is those Swedes have superb memory and always remember to switch off the lights, or they just keep it on "0" position because of the DRLs. ...sigh...

I know the feeling of being stuck with a dead battery all too often.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yeah, really this car says, "unless you really know what you're doing, please leave the headlights at position zero. Thank you."

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Actually. I gave in and bought one of those car booster battery packs, just incase I forget.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
NO car will tell you that you left the PARKING LIGHTS on. They are "parking" lights for a reason! As in, use them at night when you have to leave your car in a bad spot and it will be more visible.

Buy yourself a jump box, costco has them. Love mine, I jump people all the time because it's so easy (and I like to be a nice guy).

Also, you might consider a nice optima battery.

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NO car will tell you that you left the PARKING LIGHTS on. They are "parking" lights for a reason! As in, use them at night when you have to leave your car in a bad spot and it will be more visible.

Buy yourself a jump box, costco has them. Love mine, I jump people all the time because it's so easy (and I like to be a nice guy).

Also, you might consider a nice optima battery.
...just don't leave it very long... apparently... :)

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder how hard it would be to tap into some wiring and build my own "hey idiot" buzzer... couldn't be that tricky...

**EDIT** - That, or I need to see about taking it to Volvo to see if the automatic headlamps can be disabled... At $100+ a bulb, I don't need the HID's coming on when they don't need to be on... Anyone know if that scanner (I forgot the acronym...) can do that?

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
793 Posts
I did this on my first day of driving to work when I bought the T5...thought it was very strange too since every car I have ever owned gives off the most annoying beeps/chimes/buzzers if I leave anything on...

·
Registered
3,758 Posts

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeup - that's what I was thinking... Looks like that's a pretty wise purchase... I saw it elsewhere but can't find it - any idea where's the best place to go for the best price? Ebay seems to be all over the place...

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I wonder how hard it would be to tap into some wiring and build my own "hey idiot" buzzer... couldn't be that tricky...

**EDIT** - That, or I need to see about taking it to Volvo to see if the automatic headlamps can be disabled... At $100+ a bulb, I don't need the HID's coming on when they don't need to be on... Anyone know if that scanner (I forgot the acronym...) can do that?
Correct, VIDA can be used to disable your DRL's as well as your "automatic" headlamps. You might need a software download from your local dealer.
I don't mind if the parking lights don't "beep" at me so much, though. I don't recall any of my prior Volvo's ever doing that, actually.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
NO car will tell you that you left the PARKING LIGHTS on. They are "parking" lights for a reason! As in, use them at night when you have to leave your car in a bad spot and it will be more visible..
+1 That would be really annoying to have parking lights chime.

Also, why the hatred for the auto headlights? I absolutely love them. So they turn on for several seconds in the garage and then turn off when you're in the sunlight...not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Exactly, I much prefer Volvo's model to the one on my VW. Probably left my lights on 5-6 times after I bought the car.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Back in 70's when I saw the stats showing that motorcycles get hit less often if they run with headlights on, I started riding with headlights on. And I just carried that over to cars. In the 80's when Volvo started doing that I thought "finally some common sense from a car manufacturer". So it sounds funny to me to hear someone not want this feature.

·
Registered
635 Posts
What you need is soemone with VIDA and a Dice locally. I've disabled the Automatic lights so my DRL's come on. I decide when to turn on my lights like some kind of damn animal.

EDIT: Someone already posted. I got mine from www.xcar360.com, took about 4 days to arrive from Chinaland.

·
Registered
919 Posts
NO car will tell you that you left the PARKING LIGHTS on. They are "parking" lights for a reason!

This statement isn't true - my 99 maxima does. Its a switch set up such that IF lights are in either "parking light" or full on mode, AND driver's door is open, AND car is not running, THEN car beeps. Very helpful especially since the volvo has the auto lamps & the maxima doesn't.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I made the same mistake some time ago... I met a co-worker for a business trip one morning before sunrise at a parking lot. I arrived at the parking lot first, so I waited a short while with my parking lights on so it would be easier for my colleague to find me. He arrived and we drove away for the day leaving my car behind. When I returned and attempted to start my car, nothing. Dead. Idiot me! I left my parking lights on. Thankfully, I keep jumper cables in the trunk.

However, I think the Hondas I owned in the past would chime if I left my lights on and opened the driver door. If the door was closed, i.e. I'm still sitting inside it, it would not chime.

So, yes, I agree the chime would be handy for the parking lights left on.

·
6,436 Posts
technically you should never be stuck with a dead battery. Can't you just push-start the car (aka throw it in gear when rolling)?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
In other volvo's there's a way to make it so you can turn the lights on and off when you want.. The S40 has a little trick where you put the key in II, turn the brights on, turn the car off, then start the car, and it switches from DRLS on, to ALL off (in position 0)

I'm sure there's a way to program it to do it... Ask a dealer.

Also, the only beep is when you leave the keys in the ignition. No seatbelt beeps, no nothing.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts