SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always hear a high pitch whine/buzzing noise from the engine compartment after I turn car off and lock it. Put remote inside house (outside range of car reception) and no difference. Sound stops after 5 minutes or so.

Today I heard for the first time a noise from the rear passenger side, near the fuel door/rear wheel area. Never noticed that one before but might have been there since I made a point to listen to all the racket this time.

Any ideas? I don't think its a problem, just wondering what my car is doing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I have the same problem! It doesn't seem to be the fan. It is more like a "hum", like electrical noise.

It is now regular, every time I use the car for more than 5 minutes.

I have a MY13 with the d3 engine(2.0 diesel).

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right, its not a problem that needs to be fixed.

I don't have any problems with my car, no battery problems as a result.

I was just curious if someone knew what the car was doing.

Thanks for the reminder ryjimenez17 that the fan might be running. Strange it would keep running, don't remember my other vehicles doing that, but they are not Volvos (or even european).

·
Registered
87 Posts
If it's a high pitched buzz, and not a relatively loud roar, I'm pretty sure that's a cooling fan for the ECU, not the radiator. My XC60 does the same. The noise sounds like it's coming just from the right of the engine, near the AC compressor?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not really sure, I haven't investigated thoroughly. I'm more curious about the noise from the passenger rear wheel area.

I'll probably pull it out of garage (where I first heard the noise from wheel well) to see if the acoustics of the garage were playing tricks on me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My guess is it's the electric water pump. It can be seen between the radiator and engine, looks like a mini turbo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts