SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering why they don't rust and last forever?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I think the body is galvanized.
Just about every car is now galvanized.

They last forever because people who buy them usually take them to the dealer for repairs. The dealers have no qualms about recommending a service that costs more than the car is worth. The owner is told the car will last forever so they put money into it.

For example, a month ago my wife took her XC90 with 120k in to the dealer for a $30 oil change. She was told it needs a right motor mount $307, control arm bushings $757, front shocks $1040, alignment $100, the windshield washer return valve $55 (they don't like the one on the car that I took off a Porsche when the original failed). The typical Volvo owner will spend the $2300+ to fix a car with 112k that is worth somewhere around $8k retail. I of course will buy the shocks, and bushings for under $500 in parts, I already did the motor mount for $55,... and do most of it myself at about 120k. If it was a car the doesn't last forever, we would drive it with lousy shocks until something else major goes.

They don't last forever, they just have work done when others would toss the car. That's my opinion, YMMV.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Just about every car is now galvanized.

They last forever because people who buy them usually take them to the dealer for repairs. The dealers have no qualms about recommending a service that costs more than the car is worth. The owner is told the car will last forever so they put money into it.

For example, a month ago my wife took her XC90 with 120k in to the dealer for a $30 oil change. She was told it needs a right motor mount $307, control arm bushings $757, front shocks $1040, alignment $100, the windshield washer return valve $55 (they don't like the one on the car that I took off a Porsche when the original failed). The typical Volvo owner will spend the $2300+ to fix a car with 112k that is worth somewhere around $8k retail. I of course will buy the shocks, and bushings for under $500 in parts, I already did the motor mount for $55,... and do most of it myself at about 120k. If it was a car the doesn't last forever, we would drive it with lousy shocks until something else major goes.

They don't last forever, they just have work done when others would toss the car. That's my opinion, YMMV.
Exactly this.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
My truck has 147k and drives like new and I assume part of that is because the previous owner bought it new and it was maintained by the dealer until I bought it, and I've put a lot of blood sweat and tears into to.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Exactly the above. If you don't want to invest the time/money on tools and doing most of your own repairs then these probably aren't the cars for you in my opinion, unless of course you're crazy rich, and then you would probably be driving something else. When you buy them like I do, second-owner with 60k+ miles, by the time these cars reach 100k miles they need a lot of refreshing. However, in my experience if you do that, and do it right, they'll go another 100k easy. Now if you want them to look good with those high miles then you need to detail them regularly as well, inside and out. I usually get a lot of compliments on my cars, and some people even think they're new(er), until I tell them they're 10+ years old!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was wondering why they don't rust and last forever?
Since this post is in the XC90 section I would say there is some truth to the lack of rust part but no to the last forever, unless 160k km is your interpretation of forever.
The last of the don't rust (or do so slowly) vehicles ends with the P2? 2007 V/XC70's and the up to 2013 XC90. Any models other than those then all bets are off. I've checked over every new or nearly new loaner we've had (and theres been a few from V40's to the latest XC60 and 70's) and the stuff is being made from ever more cheaper/thinner/lighter mostly stamped out metals.
If you looked at the bottoms of our P3 XC70 with 170k on it, and our XC90 with 202k, you would think the XC90 has well under half of the 70's mileage, and its also 2yrs older.
But as good as the bodies are, the dreaded 'life time fluids' or a few design flaws will have you replacing expensive things that will make you question whether to fix or replace well before you consider any body work.

edit: in fairness the same can be said for any newer than the last car brand and model though.
The lasting forever part also reminded me of why you see rusted out tail gates on several makes of cars that are only a few yrs old, yet you hardly ever see one on the XC90. Its made from aluminum and plastic/composite materials. Would like to know if the new version is doing the same.

·
Registered
200 Posts
As far as rust I heard they galvanize these cars very well, after all it is build and designed in Sweden where the strongest steel comes from and the winters are very brutal..So these Swedish guys know rust well :)...As far as reliability the powertrain on these cars have been proven for many years especially the 5cyl which was an industrial hardcore engine. Guys have taken them to 1millin miles. As far as the V8, its a Yamaha engine and they are known to build quality car engines (early ford Taurus SHOs also used Yamaha engines). Cant speak for the rest of the engines but to make a car reliable it is simple, let the development process be run by engineers and not bean counters. Volvo has always been ran by engineers and that is what drove the company to be so reputable in safety and reliability, but unfortunately engineers don't know how to manage money so that's why Volvo has had money issues past few decades..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts