SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am always curious about why people purchased the vehicles they own and I read comments here and there in some threads so I wanted to consolidate them all in one ask here. What made you decide to buy the new XC90? Which other vehicles did you consider? Which vehicle did you own before?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I only drive Volvos, generally station wagons, but my last car was a 2005 XC90 and I've been waiting for a true refresh of the model. I was attracted to the interiors, safety features and informatics technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
My first Volvo and my buy decision was the style, ride quality, interior style/comfort. Once I learned about the safety features and technology, and looked at the research, I was in. Ordered on July 25th and expect delivery Dec 16th+\-

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I owned a Bertone in the past and never cared for any Volvo products except for the c70 when it debuted. They always seemed rather bland and lacking tech that the competitors offered at a similar price point. I never even knew what segment the Volvo brand fell into and always compared them against Volkswagen. This is the first time in ages that a Volvo grabbed my attention. The vehicle is attractive and is loaded with many features and options on the Inscription package and is priced very well (IMO) for what it is. I thought I would roll the dice on this and see how far along Volvo has come since my first experience with it. I am eagerly awaiting it's arrival but I still do not have a definite delivery date.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My first Volvo too! We drove the X5, GL350 and Lexus GX460 and the XC90 was just what we were looking for. We were on vacation in Florida in June and we had already been talking about what SUV we were going to buy. My son and I were driving back to our condo after deep sea fishing and a Volvo V60 passed by and I couldn't stop staring. The car was such an eye catcher, the front and man those tail lights were the coolest! That really got me interested in the Volvo brand, you don't see your car every other mile when you own a Volvo! Simply the best in it's class, IMHO.

·
Registered
174 Posts
We just got back from Orlando 2 weeks ago and in 830 miles to Orlando, didn't see one! Then 830 miles on the way back home we saw one Silver Inscription, damn did look good! In all those miles just one, like you said lots of all the other brands. The XC90 just looks so much better and has all the tech anyone could ever need!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The specs and promise of the technology. After core requirements (CUV, 3 rows, AWD) that was my primary decision factor, over the luxury, drive quality, brand, etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We have had:
2002 Acura MDX
2008 Acura MDX
2011 BMW X5 Xdrive 5.0 Adaptive Drive
2012 VW Touareg TDI LUX
2014 VW Touareg TDI EXEC

I was looking for something with more safety and more interior pampering (for wife) all the while being more sporty than Touareg TDIs but easier to drive than the X5.

XC90 seems to have fit the bill.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I never considered a Volvo. I actually kind of despised a lot of the Volvo models released over the last 20 years or so. We are having a second kid and need a bigger car. I'm a BMW guy. I love my 135i, and we assumed that the X5 would be our next family car. Then I checked out the XC90. The XC90 has much more practicality than the X5. The 3rd row is a lot more functional, and there is just more space without feeling like a huge car. The car looks good, the interior is luxurious, and tech is awesome. After using Senus it's tough to really consider an Idrive. The X5 drives better than the XC90 but it's not a wide difference. The XC90 actually drives better than I expected.

·
Registered
243 Posts
We currently have a 2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, which we bought for the technology, safety, and cargo space. I had to wait 6 months to get delivery.

The X90 T8 gives us the improvement of being a plug-in hybrid as well as added safety features. I will be lucky to get delivery.

The Tesla X or the PHEV chrysler minivan would be competitors.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Safety, cargo space, car chassis, technology, PHEV, exterior design, interior quality and custom factory order. I evaluated 10 different vehicles coming from a 2007 Toyota 4Runner. Filtered down to top three and test drove each of them. XC90 was hands down winner and a fine dealer/service to boot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Traded-in a 2015 XC70 for the XC90 because of the third row seating. We needed a larger vehicle to accommodate two grandchildren, their parents, and us (grandparents), without ending up with a mini-van. Saw a commercial for the XC90, went online to check out availability at the Volvo dealer where we had purchased the 2015 XC70; took a test drive and bought it - a momentum T6 with momentum plus, vision, convenience, 20" wheels, luminous sand with black interior. Have owned Volvos for almost 30 years - after being hit head-on in a 2010 XC70 (without injury, no airbag deployed, but over $12000 in damage) by a Ford that was just about demolished in the accident, decided that Volvo does take safety seriously and won't drive anything but! They claim this 2016 XC90 is their safest vehicle - just what I'm looking for when I'm driving my grandkids!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was looking for a 7 seat SUV that supported Apple CarPlay/Android Auto/Windows InCar. Originally, I'd expected virtually every manufacturer would be on board by this point, but things are moving a lot more slowly than expected.

When I read that the XC90 supported the feature, I started to look into it. After that, it didn't take much to convince me - I'm always lured into buying products that are willing to risk taking a big step forward. After the test drive and lurking on these forums, I realize that the car isn't exactly perfect, but I've placed my order. Expected delivery is end of November.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Previous X5 owner. Loved the car but the 3rd row space was getting tight for my 11 year old. Love the XC90 design and it ticks all of the boxes. Very very impressed with it so far. Have done almost 2000 miles.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
My wife and I have been hooked on Volvos for 13 years now and it started with a used 740 wagon that was the perfect vehicle with the exception of not having a turbo. The 740 sat 7 comfortably, super easy to work on, drove great and was reliable. Since then we've seemed to have gone through the generations, first the 91 740 & 93 240, then the 05 XC90 & S40 and now the 16 XC90 & 15.5 XC60. Strangely enough, this XC90 is white as was our first Volvo, the 740, now I guess I have my turbo and a bonus supercharger! They really are worlds apart but similar in their practicality both having 4 cylinders. Great job Volvo, now and then.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am coming from a BMW as well, a 2010 5 series wagon. I wanted the extra space and better ride quality on rough roads of an SUV, and I saw the Volvo and all the tech it offered and I was hooked. I have also previously owned 2 volvos, including a 2000 V70R which was one of my favorite cars. I did cross shop the Volvo with the X5 quite a bit and I think the handling is pretty close. Neither have the heavy steering feel of the last gen x5, which I loved. No suv drives like my 5 series, which was an incredible car to drive for how big it was, but it didn't have a whole lot of leg room in the back at all and it had some maintenance issues that I got tired of. I thought the xc90 offered a very competitive tech and options list for the price, which comes out easily 10 grand below a similarly equipped bmw.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am coming from a BMW as well, a 2010 5 series wagon.
Previous X5 owner.
wow, two more former bmw owner. i was expecting to see more audi transfers than bmw. how do you guys like the handling and dynamics of the xc90? did you get the 21" wheels and adaptive suspension?

i see the mentioned several times... what exactly does the xc90 do or do better that other vehicles in it's segment do not? i asked the salesperson and he pointed out nothing out of the ordinary that other vehicles already have so while i do not doubt the xc90 is very safe vehicle i do not know what exactly makes it more safe than say a touareg or x5.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts