SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Why can’t my XC90 do this...

8K views 36 replies 23 participants last post by  Gary-16-Xc90 
#1 ·
So have had my XC90 for about two months now. Loved the nice large screen until I bought my BMW X3 M40i.

You see, when you park the XC90 and approach an object the sensors go off and the screen changes showing an outline of the vehicle and the area where the object is. However there is no button to push to switch to the 360 view showing your surroundings. You have to back out of that view, swipe left I think, and then select the camera option and then select 360 view. My need for the 360 view is to see parking lines, curbs, etc. I’ve got the 21” rims and would like to keep the curb’d free for a little while longer.

Also when reversing you only get the backup camera which is partially cutoff at the top by the park assist options of park in or park out. This blocks the upper part of the camera and limits your view of oncoming cars, kids, etc.
And the backup camera view is at a weird angle which skews the view a bit.

On my BMW, when I put it in reverse I get the backup camera and the 360 camera all on one screen. Also when pulling in forward to park when it senses an object the same screen pops up showing the 360 view plus front view.

I’m definitely a fan of the BMW system, so much so I may not be keeping the XC90 for more than a few years. I had planned to keep for at least 8 and longer if there were no major issues. I purchased the 7 service visits and 10/100000 extended warranty. May be calling Mike up to cancel them.

And, when I initially starting the car and putting in reverse the backup camera will flash on and off since the sensus system is still loading. In the BMW it’s instantaneous and doesn’t turn off to wait for the system to boot.

Not feeling the XC90 so much since we picked up the BMW. The need for the third row is keeping us from getting the X5 for now. I won’t even discuss the XC90’s 2.0 versus BMWs inline turbocharged 6 cylinder.

See less See more
#2 ·
They need a team and some time to change the software to make 360 degree view easier to use.
But I guess they are fully on Android UI now, and no team is working on changing current Sensus UI.

Hope the new Android UI is easier to use. But maybe not available to current cars.

#3 ·
Agree - I would prefer that functionality, where if the proximity sensors trigger the distance warning, that pop up should include a button for the 360 camera. It only makes sense to offer it on that screen to be able to quickly verify how close the objects are and not have to switch to R or have the fight of sending the pop up away and try to swipe over to activate the cameras. If there were only a way to to send Sensus/product feedback like there is with apple.com which has helped improve products over time.

#4 ·
I wish Volvo and BMW could jointly build a new SUV together like BMW and Toyota did with the Z4 and Supra.

Give me the XC90 exterior body and interior seats coupled with the BMWs interior tech, buttons, screen, switchgear, and engine. All at the XC90 price. Perfect SUV!

It’s what they did with the Supra. You’re basically getting a Toyota chassis but everything else is BMW. If you buy the Supra, you’re getting a BMW Z4 for $20K less.

#26 ·
I wish Volvo and BMW could jointly build a new SUV together like BMW and Toyota did with the Z4 and Supra.

Give me the XC90 exterior body and interior seats coupled with the BMWs interior tech, buttons, screen, switchgear, and engine. All at the XC90 price. Perfect SUV!

It's what they did with the Supra. You're basically getting a Toyota chassis but everything else is BMW. If you buy the Supra, you're getting a BMW Z4 for $20K less.
Ummm, no thanks...BMW buttons, screens amd switchgear? I will take the integrated portrait mode vs the landscape screen that still looks like an afterthought.

#5 ·
Also this is one of the main reasons we didn’t buy an XC60. I just couldn’t deal with having two vehicles each a different size, but with the near identical interiors. We needed some variety and a better interface system. Love the simplicity of the Volvo up until I hate it because I can’t access something without swiping and touching the screen more than 2-3 times. The BMW has a touch screen as well, but I’ve never had to touch it. I access everything mostly by using the I-drive control wheel or a physical button.

BMW one push to change drive modes.
Volvo takes one push, scroll, and one more push.

I do like the steering wheel controls on the XC90 better.

BMW has better HUD info, but Volvo HUD is easier to see

Volvo’s HK sound system is way better then BMW’s

Pilot assist is just awesome until it’s not and scares the hell out of you when it follows and exit off ramp

No complimentary Travel Link on the Volvo is lame. BMW has their version for 6 months free I think

I could go on and on...

#9 ·
So have had my XC90 for about two months now. Loved the nice large screen until I bought my BMW X3 M40i.

You see, when you park the XC90 and approach an object the sensors go off and the screen changes showing an outline of the vehicle and the area where the object is. However there is no button to push to switch to the 360 view showing your surroundings. You have to back out of that view, swipe left I think, and then select the camera option and then select 360 view. My need for the 360 view is to see parking lines, curbs, etc. I've got the 21" rims and would like to keep the curb'd free for a little while longer.

Also when reversing you only get the backup camera which is partially cutoff at the top by the park assist options of park in or park out. This blocks the upper part of the camera and limits your view of oncoming cars, kids, etc.

On my BMW, when I put it in reverse I get the backup camera and the 360 camera all on one screen. Also when pulling in forward to park when it senses an object the same screen pops up showing the 360 view plus front view.

I'm definitely a fan of the BMW system, so much so I may not be keeping the XC90 for more than a few years. I had planned to keep for at least 8 and longer if there were no major issues. I purchased the 7 service visits and 10/100000 extended warranty. May be calling Mike up to cancel them.

And, when I initially starting the car and putting in reverse the backup camera will flash on and off since the sensus system is still loading. In the BMW it's instantaneous and doesn't turn off to wait for the system to boot.

Not feeling the XC90 so much since we picked up the BMW. The need for the third row is keeping us from getting the X5 for now. I won't even discuss the XC90's 2.0 versus BMWs inline turbocharged 6 cylinder.
The backup camera is pathetic. It lags at startup, has a weird angle, points down, and is very dark at night, when you need it most.

The 360 camera works in Europe as it should. In the USA, it is useless. That's the difference you are seeing - in my Italian XC90, it behaves as you describe. In the USA, it's a user-interface cluster****. I have (had?) an XC90 in NY and I never used it, too clunky.

#10 ·
Agreed although the XC90's backup camera is still better than a couple other cars I have owned.

Unfortunately often times antiquated federal DOT regulations limit what can be done....or in the USA we are victim of "world car" engineering where they won't spend the $$ to engineer features for each country and we are stuck with a homogenization of what is allowed in different countries. Meaning designing for North America as a whole and Europe as a whole. BMW probably has plenty of $$ to not do that.

#13 ·
I read this on the US Customer Help website:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#25 ·
I read this on the US Customer Help website:
I found that page which also indicates it was last updated 7/10/18 so hopefully still applies. Just leased my S60 T6 last month and my Monroney window sticker mentions Sirius radio 3 month trial but does not list Travel Link anywhere. The language above says "complimentary for 4 years with Sirius Traffic & Weather". As far as I know Sirius Traffic & Weather has always just been a part of my Sirius All Access subscription, not a separate charge. If it's not included on the cheaper Sirius subscription options I wonder if that's when they charge for TL. That said, when I called them today I was told TL is NOT included in All Access subscriptions nor as a 4 year complimentary subscription for Volvos. I'm just going to call my dealer and then perhaps Customer Service if needed. Thanks for posting.

#19 ·
Thanks for all the input...just some clarification.

Drive mode - Yes you can push the wheel on the Volvo, but you still need to push the wheel again to select or the touchscreen. BMW does it in one push unless you want to select individual sport or sport plus.

Camera - agree when you’re backing up the camera screen has the button for 360 view. However my point was when you’re pulling in forward and the front sensors go off. The camera view pops up in the Volvo, but there is no option to select 360 view. And there is enough screen real estate for a split view but given the portrait orientation I’m not sure it would look good. Split screen is best suited for landscape mode.

Travel Link - I’m pretty sure I don’t have it and any other 2019 XC90 doesn’t have it. This is the app where you can bring up weather, etc. it’s not the 4-year Volvo on call. I’ll be looking into this more when I get time.

If Volvo could just do a quick update to the camera system so I can select 360 view anytime it comes on I’d be happy.

I plan to try and keep this for the next 8 years and it’ll be hard knowing the tech in the other luxury cars will be updated often. Even right now the tech is far ahead of Volvo. We’ll see what happens in 2-3 years when the XC90 undergoes a full redesign.

#20 · (Edited)
Travel Link - I'm pretty sure I don't have it and any other 2019 XC90 doesn't have it. This is the app where you can bring up weather, etc. it's not the 4-year Volvo on call. I'll be looking into this more when I get time. ...
Please take another look at Posts 11-13.

Sirius XM Travel Link is a separate group and subscription from Sirius XM Radio.

Sirius XM Travel Link should be in the group of complimentary Apps on the right Sensus panel. It has been complimentary for 4-years from first purchase.

Sirius XM Travel Link is indeed separate from Volvo's VOC app.

Hope this helps.

Here my screen shot that clearly shows both Travel Link on the top row of apps and WX on the bottom row. Sounds like a call to Volvo Customer Care is warranted find out Travel Link's status on MY19z

P.S., On MY19 XC90s Volvo info, I found Weather as the app but not Travel Link. Here is what Volvo says:

"Weather
Weather is a free app that gives you daily and weekly weather forecasts directly in your car based on your location. With Weather, you set the location for which you want updated weather in the app settings. These settings can be accessed by pressing OK in the display mode for the app. You can also change settings for measuring wind speed here. In addition, you can see the weather for various locations by using the Search function.

Note: In order for the weather to display, you will need to be an area with Internet connection."

#21 ·
Agreed, my Mercedes has a dedicated button for 360 and automatically shows both 360 & backup camera on the same screen in reverse or when a parking sensor goes off, I do prefer this to the touchscreen controls.

But in Volvo's design defense, people now ooh & aaah over minimalist interior designs with no physical buttons and just 1 giant touchscreen for everything, eg Tesla. I'm not a fan of having to swipe/tap/swipe multiple times to do anything in my car, but younger people seem to want that vs just hitting a physical button.

#22 ·
I'm not a fan of having to swipe/tap/swipe multiple times to do anything in my car, but younger people seem to want that vs just hitting a physical button.
I don't know your age. I will be 65 soon and I very much like the buttonless/poor design.
I find button-heavy designs more and more outdated, but a fourth row on the home screen with some
programmable icons would be nice. I also don't swipe/tap/swipe a lot, and certainly not while driving.

#23 ·
Ok, not sure what happened but Travel Link now works. I just tried it today and everything came up fine.

Also posted pics of the backup camera just to show everyone what I'm talking about with the Park in and Park out buttons on the top taking up room on the view. As an alternative I just push the 360 view every time I back out now. Just wish I could do that when I'm parking in forward.

I posted a pic of my BMW backup camera view with the split screen.

And not sure if this has been an issue but I thought I read a post about some people not being able to scroll through favorites that were mixed with XM and FM radio. I posted a pic showing it and I can scroll through with the steering wheel button.
I'm just trying to figure out ways to interact with the car without touching the screen so

#24 ·
I agree there should be a 360 view button when the sensor notice pops up (like the CTA button). I usually stop, change to the 360 camera and continue. Annoying, yes, but not a dealbreaker.

Also, I think the split screen works on landscape oriented screens. Not sure how the split would look/function on a portrait screen (that isn't massive like Tesla's). I think Volvo could fix the climate section of the screen from being fixed, to give apps more real estate - make it an overlay, tap to bring it up and cover the bottom portion of your currently running app and then disappears after insctivity (similar to a hidden windows start bar). Just not sure on practicality..

#27 ·
I won't even discuss the XC90's 2.0 versus BMWs inline turbocharged 6 cylinder.
Umm..."nice" comparing "apples" to oranges...

How about pitting your X3 M340i to the XC60 T8 and see which powertrain shines...;)

#33 ·
You see, when you park the XC90 and approach an object the sensors go off and the screen changes showing an outline of the vehicle and the area where the object is. However there is no button to push to switch to the 360 view showing your surroundings. You have to back out of that view, swipe left I think, and then select the camera option and then select 360 view. My need for the 360 view is to see parking lines, curbs, etc. I've got the 21" rims and would like to keep the curb'd free for a little while longer.

+1 everything you said. This doesn't seem like a difficult thing to fix... just add a camera button to the parking sensor screen and vice versa.

#37 · (Edited)
SiriusXM Travel Link is useful IMO. I do not use SiriusXM Traffic but rather INRIX or RTTI.

Please recall that there are three distinct services. Each service has their own product support and subscription divisions.

1. SiriusXM Radio - only for music, sports and talk radio. Separate subscription.

2. SiriusXM Traffic - only for Traffic overlay on Sensus - similar functionality to INRIX, Waze, Apple Maps, et al. SiriusXM Traffic was too delayed and thereby inaccurate for my tastes. Included on SPA MY16+ as one of two Traffic options for Sensus.

3. SiriusXM Travel Link - includes weather, fuel, et al. No subscription needed if 4-year complimentary subscription was included such as MY16 XC90s.

The OP was talking about SiriusXM Travel Link subscription. So, let's focus on that. Forget everything else for now.

SiriusXM Travel Link subscription was automatically activated - at least for me.

No calls to SiriusXM were needed. One SS reported that he had to go round and round with SiriusXM to get his TravelLink subscription activated. Once activated, he learned of the 4-yr complimentary" subscription for Travel Link. However, it was too late as he already overridden the complimentary subscription and it could not or would be restored.

The moral of the story is to ask Volvo Customer Care whether your model and year comes with a 4-yr complimentary subscription of SiriusXM Travel Link. Look at the brochure. If it does have Travel Link subscription and it has not been four years, don't mess with it if it is working.

IGNORE the subscription needed message in Settings. See pics below. Of course, you need one but only after the four years is expired. Don't screw it up like I almost did and others have.

The complimentary services may vary by year and model. Look at the fine print and footnotes in the brochure.

Pic of RTTI setting - relates to Traffic - not SiriusXM TravelLink

SiriusXM TravelLink Settings - just ignore for 4-years if your vehicle came with 4-year complimentary subscription provided it is working

The message below does not matter if Travel Link is working. Go to your Apps panel in Sensus to access. Swipe right to left.

Here is the Travel Link icon on the application panel in Sensus. Hopefully, you have this as MY16 XC90s do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.