SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So have had my XC90 for about two months now. Loved the nice large screen until I bought my BMW X3 M40i.

You see, when you park the XC90 and approach an object the sensors go off and the screen changes showing an outline of the vehicle and the area where the object is. However there is no button to push to switch to the 360 view showing your surroundings. You have to back out of that view, swipe left I think, and then select the camera option and then select 360 view. My need for the 360 view is to see parking lines, curbs, etc. I’ve got the 21” rims and would like to keep the curb’d free for a little while longer.

Also when reversing you only get the backup camera which is partially cutoff at the top by the park assist options of park in or park out. This blocks the upper part of the camera and limits your view of oncoming cars, kids, etc.
And the backup camera view is at a weird angle which skews the view a bit.

On my BMW, when I put it in reverse I get the backup camera and the 360 camera all on one screen. Also when pulling in forward to park when it senses an object the same screen pops up showing the 360 view plus front view.

I’m definitely a fan of the BMW system, so much so I may not be keeping the XC90 for more than a few years. I had planned to keep for at least 8 and longer if there were no major issues. I purchased the 7 service visits and 10/100000 extended warranty. May be calling Mike up to cancel them.

And, when I initially starting the car and putting in reverse the backup camera will flash on and off since the sensus system is still loading. In the BMW it’s instantaneous and doesn’t turn off to wait for the system to boot.

Not feeling the XC90 so much since we picked up the BMW. The need for the third row is keeping us from getting the X5 for now. I won’t even discuss the XC90’s 2.0 versus BMWs inline turbocharged 6 cylinder.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
They need a team and some time to change the software to make 360 degree view easier to use.
But I guess they are fully on Android UI now, and no team is working on changing current Sensus UI.

Hope the new Android UI is easier to use. But maybe not available to current cars.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Agree - I would prefer that functionality, where if the proximity sensors trigger the distance warning, that pop up should include a button for the 360 camera. It only makes sense to offer it on that screen to be able to quickly verify how close the objects are and not have to switch to R or have the fight of sending the pop up away and try to swipe over to activate the cameras. If there were only a way to to send Sensus/product feedback like there is with apple.com which has helped improve products over time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish Volvo and BMW could jointly build a new SUV together like BMW and Toyota did with the Z4 and Supra.

Give me the XC90 exterior body and interior seats coupled with the BMWs interior tech, buttons, screen, switchgear, and engine. All at the XC90 price. Perfect SUV!

It’s what they did with the Supra. You’re basically getting a Toyota chassis but everything else is BMW. If you buy the Supra, you’re getting a BMW Z4 for $20K less.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also this is one of the main reasons we didn’t buy an XC60. I just couldn’t deal with having two vehicles each a different size, but with the near identical interiors. We needed some variety and a better interface system. Love the simplicity of the Volvo up until I hate it because I can’t access something without swiping and touching the screen more than 2-3 times. The BMW has a touch screen as well, but I’ve never had to touch it. I access everything mostly by using the I-drive control wheel or a physical button.

BMW one push to change drive modes.
Volvo takes one push, scroll, and one more push.

I do like the steering wheel controls on the XC90 better.

BMW has better HUD info, but Volvo HUD is easier to see

Volvo’s HK sound system is way better then BMW’s

Pilot assist is just awesome until it’s not and scares the hell out of you when it follows and exit off ramp

No complimentary Travel Link on the Volvo is lame. BMW has their version for 6 months free I think

I could go on and on...

·
Registered
413 Posts
BMW one push to change drive modes.
Volvo takes one push, scroll, and one more push.
It doesn't - you can just push, and then touch the drive mode on the touch screen

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wait say what !!!
I thought it was 4 years unless they changed it after MY 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Travel Link is a Sirius XM feature that is not free on Volvos. You're confusing SiriusXM Travel Link with Volvo On Call.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
So have had my XC90 for about two months now. Loved the nice large screen until I bought my BMW X3 M40i.

You see, when you park the XC90 and approach an object the sensors go off and the screen changes showing an outline of the vehicle and the area where the object is. However there is no button to push to switch to the 360 view showing your surroundings. You have to back out of that view, swipe left I think, and then select the camera option and then select 360 view. My need for the 360 view is to see parking lines, curbs, etc. I’ve got the 21” rims and would like to keep the curb’d free for a little while longer.

Also when reversing you only get the backup camera which is partially cutoff at the top by the park assist options of park in or park out. This blocks the upper part of the camera and limits your view of oncoming cars, kids, etc.
And the backup camera view is at a weird angle which skews the view a bit.

On my BMW, when I put it in reverse I get the backup camera and the 360 camera all on one screen. Also when pulling in forward to park when it senses an object the same screen pops up showing the 360 view plus front view.

I’m definitely a fan of the BMW system, so much so I may not be keeping the XC90 for more than a few years. I had planned to keep for at least 8 and longer if there were no major issues. I purchased the 7 service visits and 10/100000 extended warranty. May be calling Mike up to cancel them.

And, when I initially starting the car and putting in reverse the backup camera will flash on and off since the sensus system is still loading. In the BMW it’s instantaneous and doesn’t turn off to wait for the system to boot.

Not feeling the XC90 so much since we picked up the BMW. The need for the third row is keeping us from getting the X5 for now. I won’t even discuss the XC90’s 2.0 versus BMWs inline turbocharged 6 cylinder.
The backup camera is pathetic. It lags at startup, has a weird angle, points down, and is very dark at night, when you need it most.

The 360 camera works in Europe as it should. In the USA, it is useless. That's the difference you are seeing - in my Italian XC90, it behaves as you describe. In the USA, it's a user-interface cluster****. I have (had?) an XC90 in NY and I never used it, too clunky.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The backup camera is pathetic. It lags at startup, has a weird angle, points down, and is very dark at night, when you need it most.

The 360 camera works in Europe as it should. In the USA, it is useless. That's the difference you are seeing - in my Italian XC90, it behaves as you describe. In the USA, it's a user-interface cluster****. I have (had?) an XC90 in NY and I never used it, too clunky.
Agreed although the XC90's backup camera is still better than a couple other cars I have owned.

Unfortunately often times antiquated federal DOT regulations limit what can be done....or in the USA we are victim of "world car" engineering where they won't spend the $$ to engineer features for each country and we are stuck with a homogenization of what is allowed in different countries. Meaning designing for North America as a whole and Europe as a whole. BMW probably has plenty of $$ to not do that.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Travel Link is a Sirius XM feature that is not free on Volvos. You're confusing SiriusXM Travel Link with Volvo On Call.

Sirius XM Radio has a 6-month complimentary subscription in US for new cars.

Sirius XM Travel Link is a 4-year complimentary subscription but I cannot confirm this for MY19 although there is the Weather app in US. (Volvo VOC is complimentary for 4-years on MY18 and newer in US).

When looking at Travel Link subscription, you can get ignore the warning until it stops working four years later. Whatever you do, do NOT cancel Sirius XM Travel Link subscription as one SSter reportedly did. The complimentary subscription will not be reinstated by Sirius XM.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sirius XM Radio has a 6-month complimentary subscription in US for new cars.

Sirius XM Travel Link is a 4-year complimentary subscription (as is Volvo on Call on MY18 and newer) in US.

When looking at Travel Link subscription, you can get ignore the warning until it stops working four years later. Whatever you do, do NOT cancel Sirius XM Travel Link subscription as one SSter reportedly did. The complimentary subscription will not be reinstated by Sirius XM.
Awesome, I thought it was linked to the Radio sub trial. Will check it out.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I read this on the US Customer Help website:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
653 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts

My cameras work just fine with excellent resolution. I use both the reverse and 360 cameras when parking. While the default is the reverse camera when the car is in reverse, i can press the 360 button for the 360 view when needed. Additionally, if I need to go back to the rear view, i just touch the car on the screen and then touch the rear camera on the display. Very easy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My cameras work just fine with excellent resolution. I use both the reverse and 360 cameras when parking. While the default is the reverse camera when the car is in reverse, i can press the 360 button for the 360 view when needed. Additionally, if I need to go back to the rear view, i just touch the car on the screen and then touch the rear camera on the display. Very easy.
On my 2017, when starting the car to back out, it takes at least 30 seconds to be able to swipe to the correct menu page, then push the 360 button to change the view.

Definitely not what I would call easy. There should be a 360 button on the home page that is one of the first things to boot up on the system so that you can get in the car and back up safely without having to wait for the system to boot.

·
Registered
653 Posts
But on the X3 you just press the single parking button and it brings up top down view on the left hand side of the screen with an automatic camera view beside it on the right hand side that changes cameras and angles depending on how you're moving the car.

When you switch between the two vehicles you start asking yourself why hasn't Volvo updated the way the camera's work in the past 4 years besides making it default to a single rear view whenever you first place it in reverse? Clearly they had to put some effort in to meet the updated NHTSA requirements, why not improve on that update over the past two years? Start with a split view, the screen is large enough to do a top and bottom split view so that top down view is always available on half of the screen.

·
Registered
895 Posts

I appreciate the contribution

but

I’m not sure that’s correct.

At least not according to the booklets I got with the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the input...just some clarification.

Drive mode - Yes you can push the wheel on the Volvo, but you still need to push the wheel again to select or the touchscreen. BMW does it in one push unless you want to select individual sport or sport plus.

Camera - agree when you’re backing up the camera screen has the button for 360 view. However my point was when you’re pulling in forward and the front sensors go off. The camera view pops up in the Volvo, but there is no option to select 360 view. And there is enough screen real estate for a split view but given the portrait orientation I’m not sure it would look good. Split screen is best suited for landscape mode.

Travel Link - I’m pretty sure I don’t have it and any other 2019 XC90 doesn’t have it. This is the app where you can bring up weather, etc. it’s not the 4-year Volvo on call. I’ll be looking into this more when I get time.

If Volvo could just do a quick update to the camera system so I can select 360 view anytime it comes on I’d be happy.

I plan to try and keep this for the next 8 years and it’ll be hard knowing the tech in the other luxury cars will be updated often. Even right now the tech is far ahead of Volvo. We’ll see what happens in 2-3 years when the XC90 undergoes a full redesign.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Travel Link - I’m pretty sure I don’t have it and any other 2019 XC90 doesn’t have it. This is the app where you can bring up weather, etc. it’s not the 4-year Volvo on call. I’ll be looking into this more when I get time. ...
Please take another look at Posts 11-13.

Sirius XM Travel Link is a separate group and subscription from Sirius XM Radio.

Sirius XM Travel Link should be in the group of complimentary Apps on the right Sensus panel. It has been complimentary for 4-years from first purchase.

Sirius XM Travel Link is indeed separate from Volvo’s VOC app.

Hope this helps.

Here my screen shot that clearly shows both Travel Link on the top row of apps and WX on the bottom row. Sounds like a call to Volvo Customer Care is warranted find out Travel Link’s status on MY19z

P.S., On MY19 XC90s Volvo info, I found Weather as the app but not Travel Link. Here is what Volvo says:

“Weather
Weather is a free app that gives you daily and weekly weather forecasts directly in your car based on your location. With Weather, you set the location for which you want updated weather in the app settings. These settings can be accessed by pressing OK in the display mode for the app. You can also change settings for measuring wind speed here. In addition, you can see the weather for various locations by using the Search function.

Note: In order for the weather to display, you will need to be an area with Internet connection.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 37 Posts