SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. I have been talking to one of the companies that caters to the Volvo community about a few things, one of which is a hood similar to the Heico Odin show car hood. They have said they could make a similar hood out of CF if the demand/orders were high enough. I am waiting to get a response on the specific numbers needed, but thought I might as well get a poll going to see if there is any interest or if I should go my custom route. Cast your vote, and feel free to respond with any ideas or what not. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (chromecarz00)

Yeah, I saw that thread from 05 or whenever it was. I was hoping to gauge the interest of current users as things change. I am pretty sure our hood weighs at least 35 lbs, and a CF would be maybe 20, even if it isn't the highest quality one. CF has come a long way since 05, getting much cheaper and even lighter depending on production methods. 15 lbs isn't a big deal to most people, but if they are trying to lose unwanted weight it isn't a bad option, especially if the price were made lower due to demand.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Re: (carreragt7)

http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif on the CF Hood only because when I was a ricer I had one. It cost 1k , didn't aline to the fenders correctly, needed pins , saved ok 20 lbs but heck our cars are heavy as hell to begin with
...and... if you're like me you're about 20+ lbs overweight .

I'm going on a personal diet, lose the spare tire on the waist before I think about the one in the trunk.... and that hood.

Personally for car weight loss, I'd do (done) the Forged wheel thing, stripped interior (you can get over 150 lbs this way!!) before I'd do a CF hood again

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (V50_T5)

LOL. Good points! I am actually thinking the trunk lid probably weighs just as much or more than the hood and would be more feasible to replace to reduce an weight and include a built in lip.
I think I will go ahead with my personal plans later this summer, my main priorities right now are the front lip project and another project...
Keep the input coming guys. We need more companies wanting to produce aftermarket stuff, so we need to let them know what we want.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts

I would pass on a hood. Trunk lid is a different story. I would love to have a PCC/CSL ish trunk lid. Preferably CF, I would want some showing. Maybe do some kind of paint scheme similar to that black and green audi I showed you, where part of the piece is painted, and theres a little CF peeking through.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (sanatarium)

Sana, you and I think a lot alike. I think I will do a trunk lid using the Euro style lip molded to my stock lid to make the mold.
I am so interested in a hood because my stock hood has a minor ding in it that annoys me, and I'd rather pay $400-1000 for a CF hood than $800+ for a stock one, I know I can get one from a salvage yard but it would probably need to be paintmatched. I am a perfectionist, my hood isn't really that bad or noticeable...

·
Registered
3,952 Posts

How about , CF door panels? a la Porsche GT3 (rice method ... just remove them completely )

4 panels will take off more weight than a hood . Plus on a "motor sport " perspective , doing this takes the weight more from the middle

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thought about it, but door panels are a lot tougher to do right and I will research that a lot more before I do it. The trunk lid looks to be the winner for me right now because I don't have to worry about it hurting my car safety-wise. Door panels would reduce a lot of weight, so it is a thing I am considering for the future.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts

Seriously ... look into the door panel thing. No it doesn't have to include an OEM armrest . Just a straight piece of clean CF than makes sure our ties don't get caught in the power window motor.

You can lose 60 lbs this way w/o going ricer.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Are you talking about replacing just the interior door paneling or the actual door panel (outside)? Inside would be a ton easier, but I'm not sure how much weight would really be saved. I was thinking of replacing the whole door, inside and out, with a CF replacement. I've got a couple other things I have been looking into, which are even more feasible, to reduce weight. I am not wanting to tear out my back seats or completely tear out interior amenities as I am going for a luxury rocket feel.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts

Quote, originally posted by carreragt7 »
Are you talking about replacing just the interior door paneling or the actual door panel (outside)? Inside would be a ton easier, but I'm not sure how much weight would really be saved. I was thinking of replacing the whole door, inside and out, with a CF replacement. I've got a couple other things I have been looking into, which are even more feasible, to reduce weight. I am not wanting to tear out my back seats or completely tear out interior amenities as I am going for a luxury rocket feel.
i thinks he's talking about interior panels for the looks.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts

You spent 1k for a cf hood

Thats the problem lol. I got my carbon creations hood (weighed in around 16lbs) for my integra for 350$ shipped from a buddy. Sold it for 100$ when it came cracked lol.

If the hoods were under 600$ id think about it, however carbon fiber on black doesnt look all that fabulous in my opinion.

Nothing ricer about weight reduction as many people in autosports will agree that its a crucial part of the construction of a race car. When used to purely bling factor and overkill, then yes i think its a little cheesy.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (ForceFed Motorsports)

My plans for CF on my car include painting it, with maybe leaving a stripe or some sort of pattern to show a small part of the CF weave in an understated way. Naked CF is cool, just not my design approach for my car. I am basically using my car as a 3D portfolio for my design major, hoping that it will show that I can do more than just draw a design.

I've heard of some companies accepting orders of 10 or more to do a custom hood, and it ended up costing around $800 each for 10 people, but the more people interested the lower the price. The most expensive part is the mold, which can be upwards of $3k+, but made by well respected shops. I am sure they would do the same for a trunk lid or any other part for that matter.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I'll have to look it up, not familar with the GT3 interior door panels, lol. Not representing my user name very well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.