SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm scheduling surgery on my shoulder in a few weeks and won't be able to drive stick for about a month. I've been kicking around the idea of trading my car with a few different friends with automatics...but don't really like the idea much..particularly because I have no idea how they'll treat my car.

So I've gotta ask...anybody with a GT wagon in the tri-state area interested in life in a M66 for a few weeks?

·
Registered
83 Posts
You'd sooner trade your car with a stranger's than one of your "friend's?"

·
Registered
491 Posts
R enthusiast should respect one another and their R's. Not entirely a bad idea. GL

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I don't like anyone driving my R or my Jet Ski.
I don't even like it if it goes in for service and the dealer drives it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you couldn't trust a friend to not hoon your car then you need new friends.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
R enthusiast should respect one another and their R's. Not entirely a bad idea. GL
+1 this I can agree to. R owners are a bit different, I could possibly follow through on this idea depending on meeting, what he's done to his car/condition, and how the person is like. Theoretically I mean, lets say I offered my R (if it was an automatic)...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All of these points are valid. The reality is that the best option is for my wife to actually drive the caR and I drive her XC90. I've got plenty of better actual options than a complete stranger...but I was curious as to what the R community would think. All of the local R people I know have manual sedans anyways.

Situation reversed...I agree...it would be hard to actually do (and a nightmare from an insurance standpoint, I'd imagine). But an interesting discussion topic. And it'd be better than driving my mother's lavender Highlander Hybrid. :)

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
And it'd be better than driving my mother's lavender Highlander Hybrid. :)
I can't decide the worst part of this:

lavender?
Toyota Highlander?
or hybrid?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

lavender?
Toyota Highlander?
or hybrid?
LOL

Also, that's a pretty audacious proposition! Especially letting a GT driver take on an R with a clutch. That could be quite a disaster :p

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
LOL

Also, that's a pretty audacious proposition! Especially letting a GT driver take on an R with a clutch. That could be quite a disaster :p
LOL I would assume the GT driver must know how to drive a manual car, if not, hell no!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
LOL

Some people succumb to a TQ because the wife won't let a car in the garage she can't drive. I'm lucky enough to have a wife that can drive an MT. Her mom & at least 2 sisters can, but my mom & none of my sisters can.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just had rotator cuff surgery and parked my R for 2+ months. My girlfriend drove me to physical therapy 2x a week to exercise it.

3 1/2 months out now and allowed to drive a stick for a few weeks now

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I'm in a similar boat - Good luck OP.

I broke my left leg badly in July, so no walking for a few months, notes say that it may take 12-16 weeks. So no driving the R or the Viper for that matter (not that I'll be able to maneuver into it with the bum leg) so I've been looking at buying an SUV for the time being, found a ML55 so we'll see. I thought about trading my buddy R's for a while, he has a auto VR and he'd take my manual SR. Funny how our ideas were similar, as I was going to post the same question on the board.

Hope you feel better soon, good luck!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

lavender?
Toyota Highlander?
or hybrid?
Yeah....which is why that isn't one of my favorite options. :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just had rotator cuff surgery and parked my R for 2+ months. My girlfriend drove me to physical therapy 2x a week to exercise it.

3 1/2 months out now and allowed to drive a stick for a few weeks now
Good to know. Labrum surgery coming up for me in a few weeks. Figure its at least 6 weeks post op before I can drive stick..but from what I've heard probably 3 weeks before I'd even be able to drive an auto. Bah.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Good to know. Labrum surgery coming up for me in a few weeks. Figure its at least 6 weeks post op before I can drive stick..but from what I've heard probably 3 weeks before I'd even be able to drive an auto. Bah.
Yea I'm looking at a shoulder surgery as well. Not looking forward to 6 weeks of not driving my caR. Hope you figure it out and have a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I'm running into the same scenario with my wrists, both wrists :/. I'm going to have to get my right wrist operated on and somehow drive to school within the next semester or so....May have to drive the fathers xc70 for a month or so.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
All seems like a great idea swapping rides...minus the insurance hassles lol. I'm sure they wouldn't be thrilled ;)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah. Insurance is going to be the real deal breaker. Really I'll just be using it as leverage to convince the wife that she will drive it very carefully. I'll probably end up in her XC90 when I'm driving myself. Probably makes sense not to get my new clutch and VIVA flywheel installed until AFTER this whole debacle.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Have you talked to your insurance? My insurance is providing me with transportation to and from Physical Therapy 3 times a week at no cost/deductible - course any other personal transportation needs I'm on my own.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts